Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
badbones

Default How tell if Mitchell Transmission

I had another thread about a stop lamp that I pulled out of the unit and when I went to replace, the new unit did not match to the bolts. I was told I had a different transmission. I did some researchand found the Mitchell Transmission and am curious how to identify it.

Here is a pic of mine...so what do I have if you can tell?

badbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
JBR

Default Re: How tell if Mitchell Transmission

Looking at the pictures in your album it's not a stock model a transmission. A Mitchell transmission is a stock transmission case with different gears, so it isn't a Mitchell unit. It could be a F150 unit or a Borg Wagner. I'm not fimiliar with how those look. Someone else will jump in here and tell you.

How many gears do you have? A model A and mitchell transmission wil have 3. If you have 4 or more, it's it's something else.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To be specific regarding your question of a Mitchell synchro converted transmission vs. a stock one, about the easiest way from the exterior is the "throw" length of the H pattern is much less with the synchro-ed one.

Would you be so kind as to show us a picture from a different angle or two. I think I may recognize it but a side view might confirm.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Look's like it's a later model case, are there any casting numbers on the case. E/brake handle mounting may be "32+, not sure, been 50 years since I had my deuce.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Benson

From the brackets and shifter top it looks like it is a Model B OR V8 transmission.

(This later shifter top can be installed on a V8 or Model B if correct gearset is installed.)

Can not see the bell housing ... if it has an aluminum adapter between the flywheel housing and transmission it is a V8.

If no adapter and bell housing is one piece then it would be a Model B.

Note: On the B or V8 it is possible to unscrew the chrome "ring" where the shift lever enters the transmission top .... WARNING there is a steel 1/4 inch diameter PIN about 5/8 long that indexes the shifter lever so that it will not turn. Remove the ring carefully and find the pin before it falls out.

If you loosen the ring and just yank the stick out, the pin can fall into the case or on the ground.

Do not drop this pin into the transmission case as it will destroy the gears when you start the engine, if the pin ends up in the wrong place.

Last edited by Benson; 11-25-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Add info ...
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
old1928fordguy

Looks to be an early ford v8 trans by the number of bolts in the u joint housing and the v8 style inspection cover on the bell housing, If the bell on the shift stick screws off it will tell you also. Hope this helps .Phil Turner Denver
old1928fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Jason in TX

You have a 1939 ('39 style) ford transmission. This is done to have synchromesh shifting.

Read about them here.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ed-shifter.htm
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
badbones

Jason

Thank you for that link I will go look at it and clean it up to see if I can find a model number.

It does have 3 forward gears in the "H" Pattern and I do believe gears 2 and 3 are synched.

If this is the 81A transmission are there any advantages or disadvantages to having it?

I bought this car through a broker where it was restored in '95 and the owner shortly after passed away so there is no idea what was done or changed as I will have to discover those.

Thanks
Tony
Old 11-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
badbones

Jason

You are correct. I have a 81A-7222 installed. However it has a 7 stamped above that part number. Does that mean anything?

Was this a common trans to put in a '29? As you can see Im still learning here. I just want to know what my advantages and disadvantages would be to this. I am assuming that this adds no value to the car, but does it take away value?

Thanks again
Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
1931 flamingo

badbones: If going for a correctly restored car it takes away. If you've got (and want0 a driver it's an advantage ( no grinding gears). JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbones View Post
Jason

You are correct. I have a 81A-7222 installed. However it has a 7 stamped above that part number. Does that mean anything?

Was this a common trans to put in a '29? As you can see Im still learning here. I just want to know what my advantages and disadvantages would be to this. I am assuming that this adds no value to the car, but does it take away value?

Thanks again
It depends on who youre talking to about value. For me it would add value to the car, for the next guy he might hate it. It's nothing worth taking the time and money changing if you just want to drive it, but if you want to compete on national fine point judging itll need to be changed. The advantages is being able to downshift into second without grinding, and to be able to shift without double clutching. But you still cannot down shift into 1st while rolling, as it is not synchronized.