Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
46HARLEY

Default Overheating 1946 V8

I have a lot to still learn about Flatheads. Today I would like to know the best way to track down my overheating problem. 15 mile drive and it overheated, pulled in the driveway and came out the over flow. What should my first task be ?
Thanks Larry
46HARLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:41 AM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: Overheating 1946 V8

Has the cooling system been flushed recently?
What is the condition of the radiator?
What's in the radiator?
Are there thermostats? Do they open?
Are the waterpumps turning?

No magic, just some checking and trying.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Seth Swoboda

FortyNiner is right on the money. Radiator, Radiator, Radiator. When you're done check the Radiator.

That was excessive however every single run hot situation I have had was because the radiator tubes were clogged with junk.

Having said that, you could have a head gasket issue or a block crack but I would start with removing the radiator and having it professionally cleaned.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:27 PM   #4
69a

It's not over heating unless it boils, and steam is coming out the overflow. Let it find it's own level. Some only fill the radiator a little above the cooling tubes.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:25 AM   #5
46HARLEY

Question Re: Overheating 1946 V8

It was definitely over heating. Removed thermostats and ran for 1/2 hour in the driveway, temp gauge in the middle. Read up about cooling system options. Some say have to have thermostats others say not necessary and some recommend restricting the flow with washers or other means. Curious about how others on this forum feel. Thanks Larry
Old 05-21-2024, 08:37 AM   #6
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46HARLEY View Post
It was definitely over heating. Removed thermostats and ran for 1/2 hour in the driveway, temp gauge in the middle. Read up about cooling system options. Some say have to have thermostats others say not necessary and some recommend restricting the flow with washers or other means. Curious about how others on this forum feel. Thanks Larry
That’s good news. Sounds like problem was with a stuck thermostat.
But in my opinion you should use thermostats so engine will come up to temperature quickly. Then when stats open you get just about the same coolant flow as with no stats.
Those washers were used to restrict flow in circle track racers running at continuous high RPM. For your usage, you don’t want to restrict flow.

Last edited by JayChicago; 05-21-2024 at 08:58 AM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #7
Bored&Stroked

The 'Old Wive's Tales' about restricting flow so the "water picks up more of the heat" are just that - don't believe them. Flow is your friend - period. If you're ever bored - here is a link to read about coolant flow and this very subject:

https://www.stewartcomponents.com/te...s-restrictors/

You should be running thermostats as they keep the engine operating in the correct temperature range. I would get some new ones first - preferably quality high-flow ones.

Also, have the radiator checked out - maybe cleaned and rodded out. Also, if you have stock pumps - then consider having them rebuilt by "Skip" here on the Barn - he has high-flow impellers that will increase flow and really help cooling.

If your block has a lot of rust and scale in it, that can also be a problem - read up on the various ways to flush out the rust/scale in a flathead (lots of posts on here).

Best of luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:26 AM   #8
46HARLEY

Thanks for all the replies. But more questions, suggestions on temp and which thermostats to buy and placement of the thermostats in the system. Some drill holes, some wire them in. What seems to be best practice ? Thanks again
Old 05-21-2024, 10:52 AM   #9
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46HARLEY View Post
Thanks for all the replies. But more questions, suggestions on temp and which thermostats to buy and placement of the thermostats in the system. Some drill holes, some wire them in. What seems to be best practice ? Thanks again
I use 180 degrees original style in my 39. With original style hoses they don’t move and are in the stock location.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:29 PM   #10
Fritz

180 degrees, Carquest 13848. I do like some others here and place a clamp on the hose above the thermostat. That holds it down on the water neck. I’ve never had the hoses with that oversized pocket for a thermostat.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 03:47 PM   #11
drolston

Do drill two small (3/32) holes to let a little water bypass the thermostat. That is to let hot water down in the block get up in the neck of the heads where the thremostat bi-metal strip is. Otherwise, the temp gauge may go way towards hot, and then drop down when water near the thermostat finally gets hot enough to start opening. It is not really a big problem, just a little disconcerting,
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:56 PM   #12
Ziggster

This is what I did to install my thermostats.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ation.1311808/
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:11 PM   #13
51woodie

A lot of good suggestions above, but I have to ask, do you have the top rad shroud and seal in place in front of the rad, and the same goes for the bottom shroud and seal. I had the shrouds in place but not the seals, when I bought my Coupe, and installing the seals helped reduce the engine temperature, especially at low speeds. I run 180 deg stats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2808.jpg (82.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Lower Shroud Seal.jpg (16.9 KB, 133 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:13 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
A lot of good suggestions above, but I have to ask, do you have the top rad shroud and seal in place in front of the rad, and the same goes for the bottom shroud and seal. I had the shrouds in place but not the seals, when I bought my Coupe, and installing the seals helped reduce the engine temperature, especially at low speeds. I run 180 deg stats.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:36 PM   #15
38 coupe

In addition to all the above good advice we need to ask how hot is your car getting? Some people get concerned when the factory temperature gauge goes past the half way mark. The 3/4 mark is 180 F, a completely normal running temperature. Full hot is 212. Also, some of the old gauges or sending units are no longer in proper calibration. I use a candy thermometer with the bulb in the coolant in the radiator to check the factory gauge.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 03:00 PM   #16
46HARLEY

Problem resolved, hopefully. 2 Carquest thermostats #13848 and 2 1/8 holes drilled in each. Temperature sits perfectly in the middle of the gauge. To answer was it really hot, pegged the gauge and boiled over. Thanks for the responses, Larry
Old 05-28-2024, 03:37 PM   #17
Jeep09

My 1935 Ford pickup had a water boiling out issue, passenger side ran 20* warmer. Had the rad flushed, turns out the overflow tube was cracked in the upper tank. It would heat up then "syphon" out the upper tank very quickly, steam etc.
Rad shop fixed this & we run cool & no boil overs.
Both sides the same too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0964.jpg (70.2 KB, 58 views)
Jeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 03:59 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep09 View Post
My 1935 Ford pickup had a water boiling out issue, passenger side ran 20* warmer. Had the rad flushed, turns out the overflow tube was cracked in the upper tank. It would heat up then "syphon" out the upper tank very quickly, steam etc.
Rad shop fixed this & we run cool & no boil overs.
Both sides the same too

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:03 PM   #19
rotorwrench

A sticky thermostat is one of the first things to check. Another thing to check is the distributor to make sure that the flyweights are working to advance the spark and that the vacuum brake is functioning for load control. A plugged radiator can be checked with a infrared thermometer gun but it's not easy to tell if some tubes are plugged and some are open.

Moderate vacuum leakage or partially blocked carburetor ports can cause the engine to run a little lean and that will cause overheating.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote