Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2024, 05:17 PM   #21
Orca62

Default Re: Model B Ford 4 cylinder identification

Hi. Pulled the motor out to look at it today. There are counterweights on the crank. I took a few photos and will post next. Thanks.
Orca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 05:34 PM   #22
Orca62

Here are the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model B front.jpg (94.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg model b crank 1.jpg (29.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Model B crank 2.jpg (68.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-13-2024, 05:35 PM   #23
Orca62

So I assume I have a 1933-34 B motor by the photos above?
Old 05-13-2024, 06:52 PM   #24
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca62 View Post
Here are the photos.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:30 PM   #25
Orca62

And I am sorry to confuse the forum. I will be installing this B motor in a 1926-27 Model T chassis. The guy I bought the motor from said it was from a 1932 Coupe. He got it many years ago from a long time collector Glenn Slack. According to the story the B motor was being pulled out and a V-8 was being installed. My issue is what do I really have, can I adapt a Model A transmission to the B motor, if this is too much work I will just buy a B transmission and finally I can see how to hang front of motor to the Model T frame but are there ears on a B transmission to make mounts to the frame? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:13 PM   #26
DavidG

It's consistent with its origin, a '32 coupe. And it most definitely has an original counterbalanced crankshaft.

The rear transmission mount from a '33-'34, which is fully interchangeable with any '32 rear transmission mount, is probably your best bet as they have ears which the '32 mounts do not have.

For reference, the attached photo gives a head-on view of the '33-'34 four cylinder timing gear cover. Note the different placement of the attachment points of the front mounting bracket on the timing gear cover compared to your '32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olympus photos June, 2013 069.jpg (75.8 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 05-13-2024 at 08:38 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:29 PM   #27
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It's consistent with its origin, a '32 coupe. And it most definitely has an original counterbalanced crankshaft.

The rear transmission mount from a '33-'34, which is fully interchangeable with any '32 rear transmission mount, is probably your best bet as they have ears which the '32 mounts do not have.

For reference, the attached photo gives a head-on view of the '33-'34 four cylinder timing gear cover. Note the different placement of the attachment points of the front mounting bracket on the timing gear cover compared to your '32.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 05-14-2024, 09:58 AM   #28
Bob C

What is this in the hand crank ratchet ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model B front.jpg (85.6 KB, 92 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:21 AM   #29
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
What is this in the hand crank ratchet ?

Old 05-15-2024, 01:19 PM   #30
Orca62

O.K. Thanks for the help. So it is a 1932 B motor. Great. I can use the front motor mount as is. So my next issue will be attaching the rear of the drive train to the frame. Frame measures 23 5/8 inches outside to outside. Does the Model B bell housing have bolt holes on each side where the frame spacers attach to the frame and bell housing like a Model A bell housing. I do not have a B bell housing or transmission to look at. I have a Winfield downdraft carb. and a (home made) intake manifold that came from a circa 1940's sprint car. I also have a header style tube exhaust manifold again from a sprinter. Missing the water pump,distributor, bell housing. Just purchased a Model B fuel pump at a recent show. I may just use it or a hand pump setup as they did in the past. Believe I have a Model A flywheel and clutch setup that was lightened up. Will this work with a Model B motor? How can I identify a A flywheel from a B flywheel? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #31
Orca62

O.K. Just looked up a 1932 Ford 4 cylinder transmission and bell housing. The B bell housing has no provision for frame mounting and the rear of the transmission has the ears on there to attach (hang) the rear of the motor to the frame. And there is no provision for the clutch pedal if I decide to go that route and have a clutch. Now I understand why some race cars used the Model A setup and modify the oil pan. The Model A bell housing has provision to attach motor to frame and the pedals are attached to it also. And then finally do I use a Model A flywheel on the B motor if it fits or have to acquire a B flywheel. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:39 PM   #32
Will Kimble

With what you’re doing I sure would think some more about a B transmission. The missing pieces aren’t hard to find and it is way better than an A transmission. The ‘32 B flywheel housing sorta had the mounts you are after, but they held steady rod brackets in ‘32. Easy to adapt I would think? Plus the B transmission would give you the option of all the early V8 rear retainers. And more gear choices. Finally, there used to be a bracket made to put A pedals on a B transmission - maybe check Bert’s? Or adapt the one from the Cling’s kit.
Will Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:00 PM   #33
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
O.K. Thanks for the help. So it is a 1932 B motor. Great. I can use the front motor mount as is. So my next issue will be attaching the rear of the drive train to the frame. Frame measures 23 5/8 inches outside to outside. Does the Model B bell housing have bolt holes on each side where the frame spacers attach to the frame and bell housing like a Model A bell housing. I do not have a B bell housing or transmission to look at. I have a Winfield downdraft carb. and a (home made) intake manifold that came from a circa 1940's sprint car. I also have a header style tube exhaust manifold again from a sprinter. Missing the water pump,distributor, bell housing. Just purchased a Model B fuel pump at a recent show. I may just use it or a hand pump setup as they did in the past. Believe I have a Model A flywheel and clutch setup that was lightened up. Will this work with a Model B motor? How can I identify a A flywheel from a B flywheel? Thanks.
The Model A flywheel will work on the Model B motor. If you decide to run a Model B transmission you will need to cut down the the Model A flywheel to clear the bell housing which has probably already been done if yours is lightened. The attached photo shows the two flywheels, Model B on top.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7660.jpg (49.6 KB, 60 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:06 PM   #34
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
O.K. Just looked up a 1932 Ford 4 cylinder transmission and bell housing. The B bell housing has no provision for frame mounting and the rear of the transmission has the ears on there to attach (hang) the rear of the motor to the frame. And there is no provision for the clutch pedal if I decide to go that route and have a clutch. Now I understand why some race cars used the Model A setup and modify the oil pan. The Model A bell housing has provision to attach motor to frame and the pedals are attached to it also. And then finally do I use a Model A flywheel on the B motor if it fits or have to acquire a B flywheel. Thanks.
The rear mount for the Model B transmission was a flat plate that bolted to the "K" member in the '32 frame. The center was isolated in rubber to reduce vibration.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7661.jpg (72.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7662.jpg (42.0 KB, 57 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:48 PM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The Model A flywheel will work on the Model B motor. If you decide to run a Model B transmission you will need to cut down the the Model A flywheel to clear the bell housing which has probably already been done if yours is lightened. The attached photo shows the two flywheels, Model B on top.

Charlie Stephens

Old 05-15-2024, 11:48 PM   #36
rich b

Quote:
The rear mount for the Model B transmission was a flat plate that bolted to the "K" member in the '32 frame. The center was isolated in rubber to reduce vibration.

Charlie Stephens
Rear mounts can easily be added to the '32 rear mount plate or as DavidG mentioned a '33-'34 rear mount plate which has mount tabs can be used instead.

Setting it up with a clutch would prove more friendly for exhibition and display.

Just been discussing this a buddy about his old race car which he found had a coupler on the back of the engine instead of a clutch.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:51 PM   #37
petehoovie

Quote:

Charlie Stephens

Old 05-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #38
Bored&Stroked

I'd think about using a 32 - B transmission with the later gear set (39 - 48). You'll have a good synchro setup for 2nd and 3rd gear and parts are readily available.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:33 PM   #39
Orca62

O.K. I thank you all for your input. I will pursue the Model B transmission I was offered. Will make thing easier. Will report back as to what I find. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:36 PM   #40
cas3

I always found B transmissions are hard to find. you could get one of Klings adaptors to hook a v8 transmission to an A or B motor and then use any v8 trans you find. Much more common I believe.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote