Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2024, 11:07 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy

Default Removing the dash

Is there a step by step instruction manual for removing the dash of a 1950 Ford Tudor. Also is there step by step procedure for installing a new harness? I have never been so unsure of anything in my life, trying to gut the car, cut all the wires off the dash, and somehow install new wires in its place and then re-install the dash, and it works!
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:05 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Removing the dash

Don't panic!!! You can do this.

First, disconnect your battery. Then remove the front seat so you can be comfortable and have room to move around under the dash. Third, take plenty of BEFORE photos of your stock wiring and where each terminal connects. Fourth, get a wiring diagram for your car.

DO NOT JUST CUT any wires to remove them. Carefully disconnect each wire (one at a time) and then immediately label each wire and what it connects so you can have a reference as to where the OEM wire was connected. TAKE PHOTOS! and make written notes.

After carefully removing your old harness, feed the new harness thru the firewall and
connect each wire to its proper terminal. Your new wiring harness should be labeled from the vendor. TAKE PHOTOS and pay attention to the color coding on the new harness as you compare it with the old harness.

If you take your time, you will succeed. Remember, many other folks have done this and so can you. Be sure to buy your new harness from a reputable vendor. Check this out.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...wiring+harness
Also, read this re: installing 1950 harness.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...wiring+harness

Once you get your new harness (for peace of mind) you may want to first unravel it and lay it out on the floor and compare it to the one your removed to see if there are any differences.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-06-2024 at 03:27 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:43 PM   #3
Ggmac

Agree with above . Do not cut wires to remove . They disconnect and are in specific sections when installed. Do be fooled and buy a universal harness , they can work , but are much more involved. Buy a replacement harness from known vendor . I got mine from Tyree Harris , although it was a 41 ford , it was exact and easy .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:10 AM   #4
Shoebox

19fordy and Cgmac offer true words of wisdom! Having recently done what you are doing on my '51 Tudor, I chose to remove the dash and gingerly pull the existing harness into the car. A helper (wife) assisted in feeding the 73 year old brittle harness through the firewall. With the dash on the bench I took many photos, labeled wires coming off, while comparing to the new original style harness. Again, with the dash on the bench it was way less tedious attaching new wiring. Installation of the dash was just the reverse of removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REWIRED DASH.jpg (93.9 KB, 78 views)

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 12:03 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
19fordy and Cgmac offer true words of wisdom! Having recently done what you are doing on my '51 Tudor, I chose to remove the dash and gingerly pull the existing harness into the car. A helper (wife) assisted in feeding the 73 year old brittle harness through the firewall. With the dash on the bench I took many photos, labeled wires coming off, while comparing to the new original style harness. Again, with the dash on the bench it was way less tedious attaching new wiring. Installation of the dash was just the reverse of removal.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:33 PM   #6
rotorwrench

If the wire harness is sourced from Bauer Electronics through one of the mid century Ford sources, they come with an excellent wiring diagram for each harness assembly in the set. Mac VanPelt has most of the Ford OEM type diagrams on his web-site. Ford put them in as a unit and that's the easiest way to remove them.

I fabricated a little probe tool to help me spread the sockets on the terminal blocks in order to remove the male pins. Without it, the old wiring can pull apart when attempting to de-pin those terminal blocks. Pay close attention to the way those blocks are made. Some sockets are joined together to parallel circuits and some are isolated through. It pays to draw your own diagrams if you have no other choices to go by.

My projects were Mercury cars but they are very similar in the ways they were designed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote