Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2023, 01:21 PM   #1
cjshaker

Default Using NOS fiber timing gears, yes or no?

When I used to help my Dad rebuild flatheads, he always used the factory fiber timing gears. Sometimes he'd use the .001 or .002 over gears if the engine was worn. In the flathead for my '49 Mercury (long gone), I preferred the aluminum gear because I liked the idea of solid gears. I never saw any of those engines have an issue, but that was a long time ago.

Fast forward 50 years, and now I have this question: I have a couple stacks of NOS fiber timing gears, early and late style, and was wondering if it's a bad idea to use them? To me, they are not like Bakelite, which can become brittle with age, and seem like they would be fine, but I admit I don't have the experience like some here. So I guess my question really is, would you use them, and has anyone had issues with trying to use "new" 70 year old fiber gears?
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:28 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Using NOS fiber timing gears, yes or no?

I would use a new aluminum gear myself.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
19Fordy

I think using a NOS Ford factory fiber timing gear would not cause problems.
My 1953 OEM Ford factory fiber timing gear is still working fine on my 1953 8BA.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post
When I used to help my Dad rebuild flatheads, he always used the factory fiber timing gears. Sometimes he'd use the .001 or .002 over gears if the engine was worn. In the flathead for my '49 Mercury (long gone), I preferred the aluminum gear because I liked the idea of solid gears. I never saw any of those engines have an issue, but that was a long time ago.

Fast forward 50 years, and now I have this question: I have a couple stacks of NOS fiber timing gears, early and late style, and was wondering if it's a bad idea to use them? To me, they are not like Bakelite, which can become brittle with age, and seem like they would be fine, but I admit I don't have the experience like some here. So I guess my question really is, would you use them, and has anyone had issues with trying to use "new" 70 year old fiber gears?
I have used these numerous times with no issue. Aluminum is nice as well but will cause a tad more noise. I like my engines whisper quiet so always go with the fiber gears.

As a side note of sorts, the modern fiber gears have a sordid history of very premature and catastrophic failure.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #5
DavidG

We use only NOS fiber gears and have had no problems and as Mike notes, they are quieter than the aluminum versions..
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
Flathead Fever

They should work fine but I wouldn't use them with higher valve spring pressures. Some of those stock flatheads I hear run are whisper quiet and that fiber gear contributes to that. The number of miles most people drive an old Ford they are never going to wear out a NOS Ford fiber gear in a rebuilt engine.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:10 PM   #7
cjshaker

That's good to know they shouldn't present any problems. I know of a few all original flatheads still running without issues, but I didn't know if the engine oil had a part in their preservation. Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
They should work fine but I wouldn't use them with higher valve spring pressures. Some of those stock flatheads I hear run are whisper quiet and that fiber gear contributes to that. The number of miles most people drive an old Ford they are never going to wear out a NOS Ford fiber gear in a rebuilt engine.

I do have a couple of the aluminum gears, but this engine will not have a performance grind or spring increase. Aiming more for the 'whisper quiet' up front, except of course for the sewing machine sound of solid lifters, with a pleasing sound out the back (duals).
Old 05-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #8
rockfla

Is there contact info for Dan McEachearn?
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:57 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

The gears made for the French military flatheads are also very high quality and are made better than the gears made by Ford.

Hopefully, with the recent auction of French motors and parts, more of these gear sets will come back onto the market.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:30 AM   #10
GB SISSON

I like my flatheads as silent as possible at idle. The guy with a 'small block' can brag about his dyno readings all day long, but I never heard one idle like a stock flathead V8. I'd use the fiber gear.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:05 AM   #11
Ol' Ron

No problem with a stock valve train and cam.
gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

In our Regional Group we have a member with the KRW tool to install the fiber gear in the exact correct location. Unless I am using MUCH stronger valve springs in a performance engine, I will use a fiber gear for quietness.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:20 PM   #13
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Is there contact info for Dan McEachearn?
Try the forum members list.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #14
Merc Cruzer

No issues with my fiber timing gear. It has been in the car for over 68,000 miles. I have heard the aluminum, gears are louder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0469 70 persent.jpg (43.2 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 05-06-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:39 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
No issues with my fiber timing gear. It has been in the car for over 68,000 miles.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #16
Dan McEachern

I currently don't make a replacement cam gear for the V-8 engine (yet). I have made straight cut sets for a few Bonneville guys though. I think I may have a few sets of those on the shelf. In any case, I can be reached at dmcgearsATyahooDOTcom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v8 gear set.jpg (46.8 KB, 123 views)
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #17
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McEachern View Post
I currently don't make a replacement cam gear for the V-8 engine (yet). I have made straight cut sets for a few Bonneville guys though. I think I may have a few sets of those on the shelf. In any case, I can be reached at dmcgearsATyahooDOTcom

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:02 PM   #18
38 coupe

I have replaced a stock fiber gear on a 53 Ford. A friend of mine owned the car. The engine developed a soft knocking sound on deceleration that sounded a bit like loose rod bearings. My friend diagnosed it as a worn out cam gear, and it was. I swapped in a new aluminum gear for him and the knocking sound went away. I did not notice any more noise with the aluminum gear than it previously had with the fiber gear. The car was recently sold to a different friend of mine and it continues to run very smoothly and quietly with a little over 100k miles on it (heads and intake have never been off).
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #19
aussie merc

NOS if stored properly should be ok with stock cam, valve springs and oil pump ; stock with stock Never on any engine thats not 100% stock and never 2ndhand .Cam gear failures can be catastrophic [not as bad as OHV] . Did some testing years ago after several cam gears failed and was surprised at how much the load on the cam gear increased with only minor changes to the valve train
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:12 PM   #20
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I have replaced a stock fiber gear on a 53 Ford. A friend of mine owned the car. The engine developed a soft knocking sound on deceleration that sounded a bit like loose rod bearings. My friend diagnosed it as a worn out cam gear, and it was. I swapped in a new aluminum gear for him and the knocking sound went away. I did not notice any more noise with the aluminum gear than it previously had with the fiber gear. The car was recently sold to a different friend of mine and it continues to run very smoothly and quietly with a little over 100k miles on it (heads and intake have never been off).

This is why they made +.001 and +.002 cam gears. It makes a big difference in this area.

Aussie Merc, just curious, why would a cam gear failure be catastrophic in a flathead? The only issue I could see is if pieces got sucked into the oil pump, which I have seen happen on both flatheads and OHV engines.