Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Vacuum Wiper, hose seal

I have an unmolested, low mileage 1938 coupe. I was hoping to get it running well and take it to the spring event at the Early V8 Museum to discuss what to clean, what to restore and what to leave alone. The goal is to collect as many opinions as I can before I proceed with my vision. With that said, I have the headliner open above the window header to remove a mouse nest. Since it is open, I plan to oil the vacuum pump mechanisms and feed the inwards of the pump with a little atf.

The dilemma: the hoses are stiff (but not brittle) and leaking air around the connection to the vacuum pump. My mind has it to wrap the hose with pinning wire and twist until it seals. Hopefully the wire will not cut through.

1. Does anyone have other suggestions/solutions?
2. Is there a chemical I should use to condition the hoses with before I proceed?
3. Another thought: I could leave it as is and just use Rain-X.

Opinions are welcomed.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
marko39

Default Re: Vacuum Wiper, hose seal

Install new hose, it should not be difficult.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
corvette8n

I tried pushing ATF into my wiper from under the hood, found ATF all over my floor, I ended up replacing the hose.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 02:17 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

Don't start out on a vast project with half vast ideas. Replace the hose as Marko39 suggests.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
JayChicago

30ccpickup: Just a point of clarification: It's called wiper motor. It is not a pump.

Can someone advise him on how to replace the hose? How is it routed? What needs to be removed for access? I am no help, never had a car with overhead vacuum wipers.
JayChicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #6
ford38v8

ATF is not going to recondition your wiper motor. Remove it and do it right. Take care in replacing that headliner, you’re messing with originality here, you could get a rouge award at a V 8 Meet on originality of your unmolested Ford.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
30ccpickup: Just a point of clarification: It's called wiper motor. It is not a pump.

Can someone advise him on how to replace the hose? How is it routed? What needs to be removed for access? I am no help, never had a car with overhead vacuum wipers.
Thanks for the clarification. Replacing the hose is no problem. I like the fact that it is the original hose. Very little has been done to this car since it was new and I would like to keep it that way.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:25 PM   #8
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
ATF is not going to recondition your wiper motor. Remove it and do it right. Take care in replacing that headliner, you’re messing with originality here, you could get a rouge award at a V 8 Meet on originality of your unmolested Ford.
The goal is to go for he Rouge. The liner is not being replaced just carefully cleaned where the nest was. Part of my problem is not wanting to replace the original hoses and pulling the motor may damage them. I drive Model A's and Rain-X works well where the wipers are hardly ever used.

The next question might be: are the wiper judged in working order?

Old 01-13-2023, 05:40 PM   #9
nelsb01

The word that your wiper works is good enough.
The new hose that I used to replace -- cant tell the difference from original.
And to qualify for a Rouge Award, there is some items that are allowed to be replaced. They don't want you driving around on 85 year old tires for an example. Rubber products are one of those items.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:41 PM   #10
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Don't start out on a vast project with half vast ideas. Replace the hose as Marko39 suggests.
For me it would be a simple project to replace hoses and rebuild the motors as long as they are not too warped. I am trying not to leave a footprint here and am looking for alternative ideas in order to preserve the originality of the vehicle. In the end everything may be ripped and replaced but it is definitely not my first choice until I learn more about what I have.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:44 PM   #11
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
The word that your wiper works is good enough.
The new hose that I used to replace -- cant tell the difference from original.
And to qualify for a Rouge Award, there is some items that are allowed to be replaced. They don't want you driving around on 85 year old tires for an example. Rubber products are one of those items.
Thank you!

Old 01-13-2023, 10:56 PM   #12
fordor41

I realize you're trying to keep your car original but it's 84 yrs old. don't you think the normal wear items like tires, points, dist. cap, plugs & wires and rubber hoses have been changed already in 84 yrs?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:13 AM   #13
J Franklin

If you don't want to replace wear items it needs to be parked in a museum. For the windshield use rain-X until the hose is replaced.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:26 AM   #14
ford38v8

The key word in replacing items is "Expendables". Those expendables to be replaced with parts of original or near as possible design & manufacture. Spark plugs, fan belts, motor mounts, tires, windshield wiper blades, fuel flex hoses, rubber vacuum hoses, light bulbs, these are all unquestionably expendables. Beyond this list would be pushing the window, but I'm sure there must be more, as well as items that the Judges might also consider. Then also, a percentage, if I remember correctly, 20%, of an area to be judged may be replaced or restored, such as a repainted fender. I must disclose, however, that I am not a Rouge Judge, so I would welcome a correction of any of the above by any of the more qualified in this area of Judging.

Then, of course, there are those items that are in original condition, but have been salvaged from cars undergoing restoration, the practice of which may border on being a technical violation of guidelines, the moral question debatable.

There is, of course, a direct correlation between the value of any award received by a car, and the personal integrity of its owner.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:35 AM   #15
ford38v8

About Rain-X, it is an excellent product if used on good undamaged glass. If your windshield is more than just mildly sand pitted, or it is scratched from use of dry windshield wipers, Rain-X will show an opaque milky residue when the sun hits it, which is difficult to clean from those pits and scratches.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:25 AM   #16
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The key word in replacing items is "Expendables". Those expendables to be replaced with parts of original or near as possible design & manufacture. Spark plugs, fan belts, motor mounts, tires, windshield wiper blades, fuel flex hoses, rubber vacuum hoses, light bulbs, these are all unquestionably expendables. Beyond this list would be pushing the window, but I'm sure there must be more, as well as items that the Judges might also consider. Then also, a percentage, if I remember correctly, 20%, of an area to be judged may be replaced or restored, such as a repainted fender. I must disclose, however, that I am not a Rouge Judge, so I would welcome a correction of any of the above by any of the more qualified in this area of Judging.

Then, of course, there are those items that are in original condition, but have been salvaged from cars undergoing restoration, the practice of which may border on being a technical violation of guidelines, the moral question debatable.

There is, of course, a direct correlation between the value of any award received by a car, and the personal integrity of its owner.
Thank you

Old 01-14-2023, 04:05 AM   #17
30ccpickup

Question Re: Vacuum Wiper, hose seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you don't want to replace wear items it needs to be parked in a museum. For the windshield use rain-X until the hose is replaced.
Thanks, I agree. It might be wishful thinking that it could/can be salvaged, but this is Ford Barn and there is always hope someone will post the answer you seek.

Old 01-14-2023, 08:48 PM   #18
aussie merc

My take on this for what its worth Keeping it original is highly commendable , but this is the real world and if you want to use it it has to be safe. Wipers are a safety item! here in Aust if they don't work you cant even get restricted registration ! as we are all aware Henry didn't do anything that wasn't required so the fact that that's how the came speaks volumes. Any vacuum leak isn't good and they wreak havoc on a flathead so yes keep the wipers but please for your own safety get them working correctly
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote