Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
phatssbigboi

Default need help starting flattie

After much debate I have decided to keep my flattie in the 34

But with that being said I need some help

I have no idea how to start it I have the key and there is some type of off and on switch on the column.

I was going to take a 12v battery and a 12v coil to the dizzy and see if i can get is to start

Also can i upgrase the idnition switch to a newer style switch

any help would be great.
phatssbigboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: need help starting flattie

To get good results it is best to add a picture so we can see what engine, dist etc.

On a 34 style engine the coil is part of the dist bolted to the front of the engine.

The 49-53 type has a dist-coil that look "normal" ---what do you have??
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Scott H

Your car may have a 6 volt system

Your car may have a positive ground
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Terry,OH

to start you insert the key and unlock the column, this will allow the ON/OFF ignition switch to be turned ON, at this point the transmission has to be in neutral or the clutch depressed to prevent the car from moving. With your foot step on the floor starter switch located between the brake and clutch pedals and the engine should be turning over. Work the choke and accelerator if necessary and it should start. Why bypass the ignition switch when it also locks the steering column. a key switch will not do lock the column. To turn Off just flip the steering column ON/OFF switch to OFF.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
phatssbigboi

Sorry I dont have pic's

its a 6v system now and the car is all orginal with mechanical brakes and its the orginal 34 flattie
Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Mike in AZ

any access to a 6v battery??....if you want to see if the engine turns, you can jump straight to the starter using the 12V....trans. in neutral, of course....but you could burn up some stuff by running a 12V battery to the electrical system....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Dale Fairfax

Have you not found the starter switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatssbigboi View Post

I have no idea how to start it I have the key and there is some type of off and on switch on the column.

I was going to take a 12v battery and a 12v coil to the dizzy and see if i can get is to start

any help would be great.
Dale Fairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Tinker

As Mike said, get a 6-volt battery! Positive ground! You can't just hook a 12volt coil and battery to this car without ruining things. Much cheaper to get the right battery from the start.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
jerry grayson

Quote:

any help would be great.
It sounds like that your automotive knowledge may be limited and more so with an Early Ford V/8. I suggest you visit the efv8.org site and you may locate someone in your area who would be glad to visit you and help.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

And on the switch...MANY pre-1937 Fords have been updated with the later starter switch and solenoid. If there is no stock pedal for the starter, look for a pushbutton on the dash.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
32Gnu

Where are you located?
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
phatssbigboi

Thanks for the help

I'm located in Chicago IL

yes I'm very new to old fords I only know about ch**ys.

I did find a 6 volt battery i put it on the charger and if it takes one I will give her a shot.

I will give you a bit of history. The car has been sitting since 1993 when my dad passed. I was wanting to get it going this summer and since i have some time off from work i will be working on it over the next few weeks.

I was going to swap out the engine to a sbc up untill last night when i began cleaning up the old girl and it's such an orginal car it would be a shame to hack it up. My dad purchased the car in 1963 and its pratically untouched it has seat covers added but that is about it.

I dont own a camra but i will try to bum one and post pic's soon
Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Stuff to look for on a car that has been sitting: Points tarnished or point springs broken, deteriorated coil or condenser problems, carburetor gummed from dried gas.
It would not hurt to check compression...an engine that has been sitting will need some running and oiling to get back to full compression, but you need to be aware that FH valves can stick open if left for a long time. This is usually curable. It can be diagnosed by zero compression or by having engine turned by hand while you look in through plug holes, and usually can be cured by squirting oil down under the valve and pushing the valve affected shut with a probe through plug hole.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
32Gnu

Hopefully there is someone in the Windy City that can help you out..

Be careful and remember if the car is an original 6v positive ground you + goes to the ground and the - goes to the starter. I went through the same thing when my old man passed away a year ago, and again last summer when I drove up to New York and cranked up his old 34 that has sat since 1981.
Take your time and let us help you through it. check all the fluids and.. hell call me if you need help 864 497 0745 Tom

it will be nice to hear the old girl purr but you gotta take the right steps..
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
OLD...BILL

Good info. Oil in the cylenders, Make it "Marvel Mystery Oil ", put some in and let it set, crank it over by hand, when you get ready to crank it over with battery,cover the engine with newspaper, or you get oil oll over everwhere, plugs back in, get ready to run, fresh gas in tank?? ... Go with the 6volts, with good clean grounds connections, it will start and run the flrethead just fine, ...
I myself like...and others on the barn, am glad its going to stay flathead, good move on your part ....GOOD LUCK ....and check back with us.... thanks ....OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Karl Wolf

My original, worn out 39 deluxe started... I used a 12v battery, hot to the coil, starter solonoid... No connect to the electrical system (I didn't trust it). Drove it around town that way, kept in mind no generator... No harm done. I made the brakes like new... I don't remember whether I checked the points... I took the pan off later, 2 plus quarts of hardened crud in the pan, just a trail to get to the oil pump... No oil press gauge, (sounded OK) The temp gauge was the open hood and no radiater cap- I could see if it boiled
That was fun... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
Hoop

Phatss,

The guys have given you some very good advice ... especially suggesting getting help from VERY knowledgeable early flathead guys in your area. Some of the things, like the distributor, are tricky but not difficult. Some experienced hands will make it fascinating rather than frustrating.

For many of us, the most enjoyable part of the hobby is getting an old engine running again.

Here's a '40 sedan that arrived yesterday. It's been sitting since the mid '70s. The most fun will be firing it up ... very little "restoration" ... just clean it up and drive it just as it came out of the barn.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Phatss,

The guys have given you some very good advice ... especially suggesting getting help from VERY knowledgeable early flathead guys in your area. Some of the things, like the distributor, are tricky but not difficult. Some experienced hands will make it fascinating rather than frustrating.

For many of us, the most enjoyable part of the hobby is getting an old engine running again.

Here's a '40 sedan that arrived yesterday. It's been sitting since the mid '70s. The most fun will be firing it up ... very little "restoration" ... just clean it up and drive it just as it came out of the barn.

i think that would be fun. my truck sat from 1972 intill 2007, i wish i was the one to wake it up from its long sleep !

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
Old Henry

Quote:
Thanks for the help

I'm located in Chicago IL
Here's a regional group of the Early Ford V8 Club in Arlington Heights, the closest group to you. http://www.nirgv8.org/ Get on their site and find someone to help you. They will all be willing to do so.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Just two weeks after we drug my dad's old '47 Ford from the side of my mom's house, where it had been sitting outside for 31 years, to mine to restore it we started the engine. I wasn't even sure it would turn over much less start and run. All we did was put in a new battery, (hooked it up backwards - negative ground - didn't know better - ran it backward for three years) cleaned the carburetor, squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes, changed the oil, and fired 'er up. It was probably the most thrilling part of the whole project. Perhaps many of you can relate to these videos of the event:

The golden nugget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xhb5zg4pi8

"The Rest of the Story:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY389S_KUjs

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-14-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote