Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
woodrow

Default Dumb transmission question for you

'messin' with a '16 T with a '24 engine/transmission. A few days ago I rolled it out of the garage for pictures, then put it back inside. It rolled easily and the crank pulled the engine through easily while the car remained stationary. Now when I pull the crank the T rolls forward, but when I jack up the rear of the T I can turn both back wheels with no problem. I guess it's in gear now---don't know what I did in the meantime to cause that. I'd sure like to get it back rolling. (Both brake rods are missing.) The tranny bands are loosened up but the clutch pedal moves freely. I have put the park brake handle in about every position that's possible. Would be grateful for any suggestions---thanks
woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Sunnybrook Farm

Default Re: Dumb transmission question for you

Can you tell if it will go into first gear or reverse? Might be something going on with the clutch plates if it won't. Is there enough oil?
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
woodrow

Can't really tell if the T is in any gear. I think I said in my original post that the crank would pull through while the car remained stationary, however I was wrong on that. The T moves forward a bit when I pull the crank. When I raise the rear end the wheels turn freely. The T hasn't been run in many years and the engine/tranny are oily but not enough to run out when I take the bottom plate off the engine. Thanks for your help, not really a mechanic but do enjoy messin' with them and learning by doing that.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Sunnybrook Farm

The transmission plates run in oil and if the oil is too thick, or too cold or not enough oil it might be sticking and not engaging. It might let go if you rock it back and forward some, not sure.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
woodrow

Thanks. Hadn't thought of that. I'll put her right on the job soon as she finishes supper and let you know how that turns out. Thanks
Old 03-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

See what happens, it might be something else. It isn't a dumb question either, it is perplexing!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
woodrow

Checked and the car rolls back and forth with no problem no matter where the park brake handle is set. I can pull the crank through with no problem if the back wheels are off the floor and both rear wheels roll/turn while I pull the crank. Sure appreciate the response to the question. Thanks,
Old 03-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
23hack

Start by getting the REPAIR manual. Read it well. Then put brake rods on the car ! That is the parking brake. Cement blocks in front of the wheels works too. You need to understand the handbrake lever positions and what it does. It is a Mickey Mouse car , but you will surely get hurt.
23hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #9
Glenn Thoreson

It sounds like a band is stuck to it's drum. The emergency brake lever is also tied to the transmission. Three positions on the lever --- All the way forward locks it in hi gear. All the way back activates the rear wheel brakes if they had rods on 'em anyway. Make sure the tranny brake pedal is all the way up, too. Yes, the transmission has the srvice brakes built into it. Somewhere in the center position the lever puts the car in neutral. In that position, tranny functions are controlled by the pedals. Make sure the clutch pedal is all ther way up. If not it could engaged be in low gear. If I go into more detail my brain will boil over. Good luck...........
Glenn
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
29spcoupe

The clutch plates are in oil. If the oil is cold and thick, the clutch plates will stick together and act as if the car is in gear. Try this: Block the front wheels and jack up one rear wheel. Make sure the brake handle is in neutral and start the car. The cold oil will make the car seam to be in gear. After the oil warms up, the rear wheel will slow down. At this point, step on the brake pedal and see if the wheel will stop without stalling the engine. If it does, take the car off the jack and drive away. This is normal for a model t when the oil is cold and thick. You may need to adjust the three clutch fingers in the tranny a little if the car acts the same way when the oil is warm.
29spcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
woodrow

My fault---should have mentioned in my first post that this T hasn't run in many years. The T has been sold and I'm just trying to get it as ready as possible before the buyer picks it up. It rolls fine, however if all the wheels are on the floor and I pull the crank it wants to creep forward. I guess, as mentioned above, the clutch plates are probably stuck together. The buyer plans a full restoration so I guess I'll just leave it to him to dissemble the tranny and get it road worthy. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Sunnybrook Farm

Yep, something is going on in there but they will want to get into it and replace the bands and maybe the clutch spring along with other stuff. It will get fixed at that point. It is strange that it decided to stick at this point though. Not a big deal in the scheme of things.