Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Ebay GANGSTER CAR!

Which one of you guys has been posting Early V8 stuff on Ebay and using GANGSTER CAR! in all the descriptions?

Does anyone on this site actually refer to their Ford as a 'gangster car'?
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: Ebay GANGSTER CAR!

That's supposed to be spelled Gangsta Car! I guess its the new catch phrase to replace Rat Rod.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Vanspeed

Scott, I have been seeing his stuff for quite some time. Mainly just junk parts from a 35-36 ford 4 door. Glad I was not the only one who chuckled.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
barnfind

That seller has been trying to part out a rusty 36 for at least a year. Don't think he even knew the manufacturer or year when he started.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Scott,

Sure wish you would post the link when you reference something. I would like to see what you are talking about but don't think it is worth searching for it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Scott,

Sure wish you would post the link when you reference something. I would like to see what you are talking about but don't think it is worth searching for it.

Charlie Stephens
Maybe this will help you Charlie. He has other junk or stuff listed also. Cant believe I spent time looking at this junk. Or stuff. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gangster-car...xVcQJW&vxp=mtr
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Scott,

Charlie Stephens
Here you go Charlie:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/gangster-car...VWSoKA&vxp=mtr

I clicked on "show other items" and it seems he also sells a crapload of clothes
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #8
tiger.1000

Scott, I think the vendor is trying to tell you that HE is a gangster .....as in daylight robbery !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Uncle Bob

Seeing Ralph's "gangsta" reference reminds me of how some terms really change meaning/intent from generation to generation.

Many moons ago I spent a bit over a year flying above some small Southeast Asian countries working for our Uncle. During that time I had left my '36 fordor Touring Sedan at my mother's house. She told me once that a few of the neighbors had come to calling it a gangster car. I suspect because the "old movies" that were shown on TV at the time (or earlier) were those '30s/'40s Saturday Serials that often featured gangsters riding the running boards with their Tommy guns ablaze. A different imagery than today..............though the outcome may be similar......

Similarly, a few years ago I was having a conversation with a younger man and used the "old" expression, "It was an E ticket ride.." in reference to an exciting event. He had a confused look on his face as if he didn't get what I meant. It occurred to me that he had no frame of reference for the old Disneyland ticket book designations that gave admittance to various rides. (For those here equally experience challenged, back when, upon entrance to the park you bought a book of tickets that were designated with the letters A thru E. A tickets were for the really boring stuff, E were for the most thrilling rides, with those letters in between escalating in enjoyment value.) Anyway, in his mind, E ticket meant buying a ticket online.......................ah language!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
ricklove

Sometimes, I feel I'm being "robbed" when I look at buying NOS or some used parts.
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Seeing Ralph's "gangsta" reference reminds me of how some terms really change meaning/intent from generation to generation.

Many moons ago I spent a bit over a year flying above some small Southeast Asian countries working for our Uncle. During that time I had left my '36 fordor Touring Sedan at my mother's house. She told me once that a few of the neighbors had come to calling it a gangster car. I suspect because the "old movies" that were shown on TV at the time (or earlier) were those '30s/'40s Saturday Serials that often featured gangsters riding the running boards with their Tommy guns ablaze. A different imagery than today..............though the outcome may be similar......

Similarly, a few years ago I was having a conversation with a younger man and used the "old" expression, "It was an E ticket ride.." in reference to an exciting event. He had a confused look on his face as if he didn't get what I meant. It occurred to me that he had no frame of reference for the old Disneyland ticket book designations that gave admittance to various rides. (For those here equally experience challenged, back when, upon entrance to the park you bought a book of tickets that were designated with the letters A thru E. A tickets were for the really boring stuff, E were for the most thrilling rides, with those letters in between escalating in enjoyment value.) Anyway, in his mind, E ticket meant buying a ticket online.......................ah language!
Or how about this generational difference. A generation younger guy than myself told me of a "Deuce" that was going to be for sale locally.Turns out it wasn't a '32 Ford but a Chevy II. Not groovey,also a generational term.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #12
tiger.1000

People have called this a hairdresser's car !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUICK.jpg (191.4 KB, 31 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Ball and Chain

everything from the 30's was either owned by a gangster, a moon shiner or a movie star. it had to be one of the 3.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:16 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Which one of you guys has been posting Early V8 stuff on Ebay and using GANGSTER CAR! in all the descriptions?

Does anyone on this site actually refer to their Ford as a 'gangster car'?
Could this be the guy you are looking for......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10402597_600235680050876_3863182357973149256_n(2)-1.jpg (19.4 KB, 44 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
everything from the 30's was either owned by a gangster, a moon shiner or a movie star. it had to be one of the 3.
many years ago in the U.K a national newspaper had a 30s Chrysler as a competition prize , it was ex Al Capone and right hand drive (chuckle),the newspaper paid plenty for it from one of the members of an American car club I belonged to at the time ,I (and I bet the seller)still smile about that one today.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote