Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
burly

Default Crankshaft Pulley Installation

I acquired a recently rebuilt early 24 stud minus the crankshaft pulley but I had a single belt pulley on hand I'm attempting to install. It's been a tight fit but I've managed to get the pulley within around 1/2" of the end of the crankshaft still not within reach of the crankshaft bolt. I've popped it pretty good with a block of wood and a hand sledge but it's not wanting to budge any further. Are these usually this hard to seat? Applied white grease prior to assembly and have be pretty liberal with blaster throughout process. Had thought about heat but don't want to melt rubber crankshaft seal rebuilder had already installed? Thanks guys!
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation

Remove the pulley, take a small rod and stick it in beside the crank snout untill it hits the crank gear, mark the rod at the end of the crank, pull the rod out check the length of the pulley, I'm not sure if the first early 38 24s stud had the short crank snout like the 21 stud cranks. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
burly

Thanks Walt, but I can still see the inside end of the pulley (with the spiral grooves), it hasn't past the rubber crankshaft seal yet? It's so tight I'm afraid I'll warp the pulley trying to get it back off?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
corvette8n

How about a longer bolt for installation, or a puller to remove it, I've broken/damaged parts not using the right tools and caused myself more grief than if I had done it correctly the first time.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
redtriford

You really don't want to be hammering on the end of the crankshaft. Rig a puller up so you aren't pulling on the pulley but more to the center of it. Clean up the inside of it and pull it on.
redtriford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I guess I'm going to go back to the start - it should NOT be that tight to begin with. I'd be worried that something is going on with the keys and keyways, etc. Or, maybe rust inside of the pulley ID. Or maybe something else?

I've taken a ton of these on/off - never had any issues if all the parts were correct, cleaned and aligned. Also, I've never had to "beat" them onto an engine - so be careful.

I'd get the current pulley back off (with a good puller) - then inspect everything and figure out what the issue is. Even if it costs you a pulley . . . is better than a crankshaft snout or ruined engine.

Good luck
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
burly

Thanks fellas! Yeah I didn't figure they should be that difficult to get on, that's why I quit when I did. It seemed to pass the key alright but then just seemed to keep getting more snug. I'll get a puller on it and look it over again?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Thanks fellas! Yeah I didn't figure they should be that difficult to get on, that's why I quit when I did. It seemed to pass the key alright but then just seemed to keep getting more snug. I'll get a puller on it and look it over again?
I use a long dull chisel, and go from behind at the center as close as you can get. Use a hammer, I've never had this fail. My concern is to not bend the pulley. The crank is pretty tough. In my opinion.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
burly

Thanks Karl, Yeah this one appeared true and other than some slight pitting looked good. I had already blasted and painted this one and if I could salvage it would sure save me some time and effort trying to find another serviceable candidate.