Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: What would you do?

Like I said above, Willit said it best, but now I can't help but to get maudlin...
I have in my possession some items that belonged to my father. I have his cigar box from the top of his dresser, with the small personal little items within that don't mean a thing to anyone but me. I have his personal clothes locker and contents from the factory that he retired from, with 40 years worth of accumulated stuff, trash to anyone but me: Work boots with leather hard as the steel toes within, oil stained coveralls, a small stack of neatly folded blue patterned handkerchiefs. (I never knew my father to be without a handkerchief). Setup notes to himself in his own distinctive handwriting, a small address book with names of long dead friends and clients, a letter of reprimand from his shop foreman for drinking on the job, and yes, an empty half pint of Early Times. There is a peanut can containing packets of salt from the fast food restaurant I worked at when I was 16, and two broken smoking pipes in a tobacco can. These were things he touched, things he saw every day, things I would never consider throwing out. These things I see if I open that locker. This is my father, and he is in there, in that locker standing in the corner of my garage today.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #22
Capt Kirk

I was reluctant to post this because it's more of an emotional thing than a car thing. I restored the car and he saw a picture of it before he died...he was happy about it.
From what I'm hearing, my dad knew what changes needed to be made to make this car "family friendly" and it may not be the way it rolled out of the factory but it's the way that it needed to be in the 50's to raise a family. To me, that has more value than a car straight off of the assembly line. I appreciate all your comments...I welled up a bit reading them and thinking about my dad.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
Capt Kirk

Dammit Ford38...you didn't mention anything about a car but you said it all right there. You're not going to take your dads cigar box and change it to make it original or new. I have my dads car, it's restored the way it was when he was using it...done deal. I was torn between the car and my dad. Dad wins!
Empty wallet
Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #24
Binx

Well, okay. Now knowing you restored your father's car before he died does change things a little. Thanks for the experiment. I guess I suck at reading between the lines.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 06-18-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #25
Capt Kirk

Binx...no worries.
Empty wallet
Old 06-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #26
outlaw

IMHO, I can't see why you would ever want to change it. If it were me I would feel privileged to leave it the way it is & take dad with me every where I went. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #27
rockfla

CaptKirk
I think nothing more can be said here, other than I'm your LONG lost cousin that LOVES 1935 FORDS and will keep it just the way you decide to keep it just incase in the future your looking for that next generation????

And you were right.....shameless request #1
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #28
zzlegend

"At some point way back in my dad's history with the car he made some changes to it which I'm sure wasn't uncommon back in the old days. Keep in mind that these changes likely happened in the 40's and 50's.
He took the upper windshield wiper motor out and installed dual cowl wipers that frankly look factory if you didn't know better. He changed the car to juice brakes, he put on Kelsey wheels, a Carson top and changed to a 59 AB engine, 36 bumpers and a banjo steering wheel (which I did change back to original) I restored the car the way I've known it all my life and it does well at our small town shows."

Kirk. This says it all. When some one ask you about the top, or the wheels, or the wipers, you can tell them this is how my dad did it in the 50's and its my way to remember him. I am glad you decided to leave it as is. That would have been my choice also. You and dad did good. Good luck with it. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #29
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Binx...there's no "strings". He didn't send me the car with any strings. I was the one of us 4 kids that had the talent and ability to take care of his car. I told him shortly before he died that I wouldn't sell it. I didn't want him thinking that he's giving his pride and joy to me just so I could flip it to make some quick cash. I'd never do that. There's no strings...just a respect for my dad and the car.
So.......How much do you want for it!!!

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
TomT/Williamsburg

First off, you are a lucky man to have been able to restore the car as your family knows it and showed that to your Dad before he passed. This is priceless .... most of us here I am sure would give anything to have had this opportunity.

As for the car, your Dad made changes to it to suit his family at that time. I am sure he would not hesitate to do the same if he were in your shoes right now. That being said, most of us here on this forum would give anything to have a car passed on to us like you have and the foresight to restore it as we (meaning you) knew it as a kid. This is us living vicariously through you right now. Very few of us have a car with such history as you have.

Whatever you might change on this car, no matter how big or small or even at all, you are following in the footsteps of your Dad, or, walking in those same footsteps. Make memories of your own with this car and pass it on when the time comes to the person who will continue its legacy as you have ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
I don't quite get it, guess I'm a bit slo. What is the problem ?LEAVE IT THE WAY YOU RECEIVED IT! If you want to restore one just buy yourself another one. It will be like your dad did it only once.
I have to agree with B-O-B's post on this. Leave this car just the way you have it now, drive and enjoy it that way. The memory/spirit of your dad will be riding along with you. If you want an original car, pick up another one that is restored to original or find an original that you can restore yourself.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #32
B-O-B

Thank You John. Finally somebody agrees with me. MAYBE??? Can I get you to talk to my bride!!!! Heh heh he
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #33
Capt Kirk

Just want to thank everybody for their thoughts and opinions. The car will stay as it is and I am going to enjoy the hell out of it.
Empty wallet