Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
robert shreveport

Default rear-end rebuild

Who is recommended to rebuild my 31 rear-end. It is a car. It used to leak some oil/grease 7 yrs ago. I haven't ran it since, have been restoing it. I do not know how and want it did correct 1 time only, will need new seals I would think. I never had any problem or noises, just know that when I drive it next will probably leave puddles from the rear-end. I can deliver it with all the brake parts removed. Need an idea of the labor and cost of parts. I live in Shreveport,La.
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: rear-end rebuild

You can surely (properly!!) rebuild/restore a rear end assembly yourself if you have a Lathe and a Mill. It is also my opinion if you do not have those necessary tools to perform all the tasks, then you are basically repairing a rear end. Big difference between the two tasks.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Mikeinnj

You stated the differential is working properly but has a leak. You could save yourself a LOT of money by doing the following:

Where exactly is it leaking from? First, check the level of the differential. It should be just below the fill plug, no higher.

If the seals are bad they could cause s leak from one or both ends of the axle housings perhaps dripping from area of the brake backing plates.

If the leak is in the center, under the "banjo" it could be a loose fill or drain plug or it could be the bolts around the sides or front of the banjo which should be torqued to 35 foot pounds.

Those bolts have a special thread pitch and should not be tapped as that could cause the bolts to leak.

I have successfully used a product (click on link below) that is designed to seal leaks from the outside by applying the material to the leaking seam or bolt head. The surface must be clean of any traces of oil or moisture before applying.

Of course if the seals are the problem, the sealant is not a solution.

Good luck. http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...-repair-detail

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 03-14-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
P.S.

Sacramento Vintage Ford sells rebuilt rear ends for the Model A on an exchange basis. You can also choose the rear end gears you wish.

Their rebuilt rear axles are around $2000. Certainly much cheaper to repair the rear end you already have. However, if you need a rebuilt one, you just need one, and they are available.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
robert shreveport

Thanks for all replies
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
machine girl

why do you need a lathe and mill, we have both but not needed for a rear end job?? he wants to rebuild it not remanufacture it.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
kenparker

Robert, Email me or call me. I am about 120 miles from you in Van, TX
Ken 903-952-7615 or [email protected]
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Robert:

To replace the four bearings, two single races, one double race, three seals and all the gaskets is a cost of about $330. from Bratton's. labor costs can vary depending on who is doing the price quoting. There are places that charge a flat labor rate of about $500.

If the rear assembly is operating and is relatively quiet I would leave it alone as some have suggested. The seals, even if shot, are of little concern. They are grease seals, not oil seals, and the two in the rear axle are there only for the purpose of forcing grease into the rear wheel bearing from the two grease fittings in the backing plates. Pack the wheel bearings by hand and forget about the seals.

Torque all 20 banjo to axle housing bolts to 35 ft. lbs and see if the leak stops. If it does not you can pull the axle housings off and replace the gaskets. Just be sure to replace each side with the same quantity and thickness as found. The banjo gaskets determine the pre-load on the carrier bearings.

To learn more about the rebuild process go to the web site of the Santa Anita A's at santaanitaas.org. On the home page put your cursor on "Technical Reference", my name will appear below click on it. Scroll to the article about differential rebuild revised 2014. This is a very lengthy article and will include part numbers and cost and a description of what is required for a proper rebuild.

Be careful where you contract for a rebuild. Take it only to a shop that speaks Model A otherwise you will be greatly overcharged and likely have it done wrong.

Good luck with your project.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote