Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
1930artdeco

Default Re: Starting Restoration

Another thing you may want to consider is seat belts. Since you have no side protection-like a door to keep you inside.

Mike
Old 02-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #22
stewwolfe

Seat belts are a really good idea. Aside from that, do whatever pleases you, but by all means drive it. Don't let it become a perpetual project. A pile of metal in the corner of the garage just takes up space. A running (maybe rusty, but drivable) car gives enjoyment!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #23
JohnLaVoy

Welcome! Looks like you are going to have quite a project that will pass on some family history. I would look at making contact with a Model A chapter close to where you are. visit MAFCA.com there is a list of chapters there with contact information. You will find most of the people in this hobby very helpful and willing to show you how to work on projects.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #24
jkcrosson

Central alabama model a ford club is in Montgomery. It's a great club
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #25
BamaFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcrosson View Post
Central alabama model a ford club is in Montgomery. It's a great club
I am definitely going to be contacting them. My grandfather was a member of their club here.
BamaFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #26
BamaFord

And just to clarify from comments earlier in the thread, does my Model A have a one of a kind custom wooden body on it?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #27
CWilson

The body reminds me of the trucks they use for hunting quail down south, especially Georgia. They run the dogs while hunters ride in the truck. Once the dogs go on point, the hunters hop out and have the dogs flush the quail. Might be a reason there are no sides, and 2 benches. Like this one.
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #28
BamaFord

Got the Model A all cleaned up! My next step is to clear the fuel system. I see the tank is built in right behind the instrument panel. It will need to be flushed out thoroughly. Any advice on how you guys clean out your old fuel tanks? I may either just flush it with gas/chemicals or if need be I may be able to pull it out. Also I want to get a new carburetor. Which modern version gives the best performance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFord View Post
Got the Model A all cleaned up! My next step is to clear the fuel system. I see the tank is built in right behind the instrument panel. It will need to be flushed out thoroughly. Any advice on how you guys clean out your old fuel tanks? I may either just flush it with gas/chemicals or if need be I may be able to pull it out. Also I want to get a new carburetor. Which modern version gives the best performance?
Welcome aboard !
Heck, you don't need any different paint on your A. It looks great with dirt cleaned off ! Must have had GOOD storage, eh !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #30
BamaFord

The hood on this side is the worst panel on the A. I'm not sure what to do about paint for it. Everything else on the vehicle is in great shape.

Also, check the shared album for high quality photos. I am doing this from my iPhone and can't upload high quality pictures here.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1JtdOXmJ8YP2I
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #31
hardtimes

Quote:
The hood on this side is the worst panel on the A. I'm not sure what to do about paint for it. Everything else on the vehicle is in great shape.

Also, check the shared album on the first post of the thread for high quality photos. I am doing this from my iPhone and can't upload high quality pictures here.
That area of hood adds 'character' to a very beautiful vehicle...as is !
I agree with others here, who have advised to just coat it for now and drive it , till you fully make up mind to change. As you will find it hard to change it BACK to what it is now, if second thoughts later !

Guys nowadays, pay big $ to have a 'clear coat' put over old vehicles with great 'patina'..as it's called. Your A , so just answering, eh !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #32

beautiful piece of history, keep it in the family
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #33
Pilotdave

Since your grandfather belonged to the Central Alabama club, perhaps you can learn a fair amount about your car by talking with the members there.

Also, you asked about a modern replacement carburetor - suggest that you talk with some other Model A owners before deciding to switch out the carb. If you have a well-tuned original type carb on the car it should run just fine.

And welcome to the Barn!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #34
HoarseWhisperer

There's probably many of us that had the urge to "tinker" with our first Model A and couldn't resist trying to improve the aesthetics. So we did, and took our shiny vehicles to shows only to become envious of the originals that drew the admiring crowds.

Mechanicals first, then maybe the rest.....maybe.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #35
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
There is no need for a "modern version". Get the one on the car rebuilt buy someone that really knows about the carbs. I vote for Bert's in Denver.

If for some reason your heart is set on a modern version you are going to have to decide if you want up draft carb and the original manifold or a down draft and purchase a new manifold.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #36
Big hammer

Welcome! My vote is leave like grandpa left it! Just repair what is needed to get it running. You will get big grins and thumbs up when your driving grandpas car! Heck i'am giving you two thumbs up now :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #37
jhowes

My advice is to be careful if something doesn't work. Learn to test first and locate the problem, so many start by replacing what they espect could be the issue only to find they have created more porblems. The original parts are usually the most reliable and Model A guys are always helpful. I agree that you should drive it a few years first then you will make a more informed decision. Have fun
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #38
jboggess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
You only have to please yourself, but I would first dust it off, lube it, and drive to to a few shows. You'll soon find people like to see it just the way it is now, plus it saves you work and money.
No offense, but Its all very cute to take to a show a couple times unrestored, but after a while you get the reputation of being the neighborhood hillbilly, and also it pisses the people off who put the labor and money in to make theres nice, a little wet sanding and a cheap coat of paint wouldn't cost much.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #39
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
No offense, but Its all very cute to take to a show a couple times unrestored, but after a while you get the reputation of being the neighborhood hillbilly, and also it pisses the people off who put the labor and money in to make theres nice, a little wet sanding and a cheap coat of paint wouldn't cost much.
i dont get pissed off or feel that way about drivers brought to shows...i enjoy it when there are more model A's no matter what the condition....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #40
Rex_A_Lott

I think its pretty cool that you have resurrected a piece of your family's history.
Enjoy it ! As is, or whatever you decide, its yours. As far as being the neighborhood hillbilly, it aint so bad once you get used to it. Dont worry about pissing off the ones with the super-nice cars, some of them are super-nice people too...and some are not, no matter what you're driving.
As far as the carburetor goes, a lot of times a good cleaning and blowing out all the passages is all that's needed. Certainly worth a try before you run out and buy a new one.
Good Luck!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote