Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
toms32

Default Removal of Horn Button

Many thanks to Mike in AZ and FlATHEADFAN Tom for the help on this one. Tom

Last edited by toms32; 01-27-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: fot info
toms32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
woodypecker

Default Re: Removal of Horn Button

No but I hope someone else knows
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

i think you have to take the horn rod out first, which involves going below steering box, etc. etc...and you probably can't get the rod out without dropping your steering column from the dash...link to parts blow up from MacVP's website....good luck.....Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...r_1933to36.jpg
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
flatheadfan

Toms32-

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to when you state "horn button." If you are just talking about the button in the center of the light disk, removal is easy.

Start with removing the lighting bulb at the bottom of the steering column (attached to the gear box with a spring clip); then a small "C" clip, a two blade fork and spring.

This will loosen the horn/light disk rod. Lift up the light disk at the steering wheel. On the bottom side of the disk you will find four stainless tabs, straighten them . Push up the tabs until a void appears where the horn button retaining ring meets the light disk. Use a small screw driver to carefully pry the ring up and off. If all goes correctly you will have the horn button, retaining ring a coil spring and a brass "hat." That's it.

However, "IF" you want to remove the entire horn rod you have some work ahead of you if you are working with a closed car. If you want complete instructions PM me, it is rather long and I do have some pictures that go with the write-up. The trick is to NOT bend the light rod. If you do, you could find yourself inheriting a pile of grief!

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
jim1932

Uumm I am going to restart this with basically the same question. My horn button does not seem to have any spring to is and had been disconnected. Is the spring in the bottom or up top?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Mike in AZ

spring is down at bottom below the steering box, i'm pretty sure....check the link i put in earlier post above....part no. 3642??...Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
Mart

In Jim's case, I'm pretty sure the horn button spring is up top.

I think you have to undo the clamp at the bottom and then withdraw the rod and horn button intact.

Can't remember how to dismantle the horn button part, though, sorry.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
jim1932

Once I get it out it, I can probably figure it out. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
flatheadfan

Jim32

There are two springs. A coil (A) on the bottom retained by the spider fork and another (B) under the horn button at the top.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0593.JPG (95.1 KB, 25 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
jim1932

So there is a snap ring in there somewhere huh? By the way, who makes the best spray stuff to cut through all this grease?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn lights.jpg (69.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
VeryTangled

JIM1932, Your last picture I am familiar with from our '36. There are two tangs facing downwards (one is at the 10:30 position from the rod end in your photo). The tangs are are part of a U shaped retainer with a hole in the center where the rod comes through (#3643). Press upwards with a flathead screwdriver on the retainer to compress the spring (A above, 3642 in the drawing), and slide out the U shaped clip (#3644) holding things onto the end of the horn rod. The clip (#3644) doesn't go around the rod in any circular way, it's U shaped to come out easily, not a snap ring. You will need some kind of picking tool to get the clip (3644) out, maybe just a small flathead. There isn't a tremendous amount of tension so stuff should not go flying around. All of this leads to removal of the horn rod. We are incredibly lucky as to be able to fold down the top for complete removal of the rod. I have read closed car owners talk about taking out the entire steering box, or removing the rear window.

As for cleaning it up, gum cutter or brake kleen may be of assistance, I hesitate to suggest but gasoline or kerosene will work but is very sketchy.

Whatever happens DO NOT tweak that rod in any way. It's a bear to try to straighten it.

No clue about the spring you're asking about at the top (B above).

How long are you on-site? Did I read you are bringing it south?

-VT/Jeff

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-04-2013 at 05:18 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
jim1932

Jeff, I DID bring it south. It is out by Dulles Airport. It was great. half hour drive out last Saturday, ripped all the wires out, put one of the new harnesses in.

I need to order the light socket replacements and a fuse setup, then will go out and put them all in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailerphoto.jpg (71.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
VeryTangled

Awesome! Daily access as long as you're willing to brave the American Legion Bridge twice. I have to drive an hour to wrench on ours!

-VT/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
jim1932

Not to mention the heat, clean floor and uncluttered work area.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
jim1932

so as I dig into this am I eventually going to hit oil(or grease)? Just want to have a pan ready if I need it. Not really looking to pull the gearbox apart unless I need to. But while I am already here, should I pop it open and clean it out?

What is the recommendation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn a photo.jpg (69.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Mart

No, you shouldn't have any oil come out, there is a tube that extends up to above the oil level that should stop anything coming out. You can't rule out a drip or two, though, so a pan may be a good idea.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
jim1932

So is all this grease supposed to be here on this lower part? or is it stuff that leaked over the years.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
jim1932

OK got the rod out. I can see where it would be a major issue in a coupe. I had a spring on the bottom but nothing in the top so far. I have not taken the button itself off yet (do you use heat on the tabs?).

The botton does not depress at all. Also, maybe as a farmers fix, there was a small piece of cardboard between the steering wheel and the horn part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn rod.jpg (37.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (53.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Royal Ryser

You're getting there. When you take the mechanism apart, in the left picture, the spring is inside.
I disagree about straightening a bent rod. I have straigtened several by placing the rod on a straight, flat surface, like a table saw table, and simply pounded them straight with a hammer, as you would a piece of wire. I used body hammer and hit the rod very lightly so as not to flatten it. I have also lengthened some rods by soldering in a length of slightly smaller tube, fitting it inside the original rod. I had to lengthen the horn wire to fit by replacing the wire, cutting it to the right length, and soldering the contact tip back on.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
You're getting there. When you take the mechanism apart, in the left picture, the spring is inside.
I disagree about straightening a bent rod. I have straigtened several by placing the rod on a straight, flat surface, like a table saw table, and simply pounded them straight with a hammer, as you would a piece of wire. I used body hammer and hit the rod very lightly so as not to flatten it. I have also lengthened some rods by soldering in a length of slightly smaller tube, fitting it inside the original rod. I had to lengthen the horn wire to fit by replacing the wire, cutting it to the right length, and soldering the contact tip back on.
Umm that is one of my questions. Is there supposed to be wire running down the tube? Otherwise I don't see how the button would work.

Also, still looking for an answer on whether to bend the tabs cold, or to heat them.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
Henryat1140

Yes there is a wire running down the inside of the tube.

Here's a rundown on how the horns work: 6v is fed directly to each horn through the front wiring harness. That 6v circuit is extended upward through the column because there is a connector for it at the light switch bulb. Continuing up through the column it is insulated from ground. At the steering wheel there is a spring-loaded button which closes the circuit to ground. The button is accessed through the tabs as you mention, we just carefully bent the tabs back just enough the get the assembly apart.

I emphasize doing everything possible to not bend the horn rod. It needs to turn independently of the column. There should be a small brass bushing at the top of the rod where it enters the steering column.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
jim1932

OK, got it all apart and cleaned it up. The spring is intact but looks like it is made of copper wire rather than spring. It seems like I can stretch it back into reasonable shape, but I wonder if it will last. Am I better off replacing the spring?

The last picture is the bottom end of the tube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (39.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (41.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (35.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (37.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.jpg (44.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (52.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.jpg (28.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0082.jpg (39.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (37.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
jim1932

As near as I can tell. I think the brass fitting the fits inside the spring got so forty that the spring stuck on it when it was compressed. It's been that way for a LONG time as my uncle had wired a doorbell button on the dash to use as a horn button and he last drove the car on the road in 73. I stretched it back out and cleaned everything up. It seems to be back to normal. Be a while before I can get it all back in the car.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
Mike in AZ

way to hang in there, Jim....haven't done one myself, so my answers were from knowledge learned on this forum thru earlier posts.....back on the old Fordbarn....Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
jim1932

The thing I love about this old Ford is if you take the time to look at it, you can usually figure stuff out. The amazing thing to me though is that they have the same setting in a coupe. Ain't no way that rod is coming out in a coupe without taking the center of the roof out.

That said, I could have taken the horn apart the way I did by only sliding the rod up a foot or so, It doesn't have to come out.