Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
oldmanandakid

Default 1st Boil Over

I've been following the radiator and overheating threads for several days but have not seen mention of the in-hose thermostat and it's performance. The kid and I got the coupe on the road today and it boiled over for the first time ever. The only change I've made to the cooling system was the addition of a thermostat. Comments?
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Jordan

Default Re: 1st Boil Over

take the thermostat out and see if it does it again. It might be sticking.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I have a very old in hose thermostat, it has a coiled up bi-metal element working a valve set up like a throttle valve in a carb ---I got it out of the trash can at Hershey, it has been in my car for 25 + years, works good, looked new or almost new when I put it in

If the temp sensing element is in toward the radiator the thermostat won't work.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
TinCup

How full was the radiator? I always have to catch myself and not overfill the radiator. Just over the tubes is where my car likes. I have used a 160 degree in hose in the past and you do need to make sure it's oriented correctly or it will boil over.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Ca. Kid

Could be installed backwards. The pointy end goes toward the radiator.
Ca. Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
TerryH

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Some Model A's just don't do well with thermostats. Tried one in mine and it spit water out...not overfilled, etc. But it does just fine without and never overheats. I have heard some also slightly englarge the hole by drilling it out.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

your radiator probably does not have 100% flow and by installing the stat put it over the edge
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
oldmanandakid

Ca Kid, Thermostat has been removed and yep it was installed correctly. Jordan, Terry and Mitch, we're going to run just like Mr. Ford made her. Kurt if you want another trash can part I'll send it to you. Tin Cup we did overfill and when she burped up at the gas station it caused high excitement. Thanks Guys.
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

One of the most common causes of overheating is flakes of rust from the block getting stuck on edge in the top end of the radiator tubes. Powerful backflush with air & water helps. Bill W.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
CarlG

How do you introduce air into the water for backflush?
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

If radiator is out of car take a rag or towel and wrap around the air hose and water hose and "stuff" it into the lower opening. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
[email protected]

photo.jpg

I have made these inexpensive PVC pipe adapters to back flush the Model A Radiators. They are basically the same except one is a straight one and the other is a 90 degree version that is easier to connect to the garden hose for use.

One end of the adapter goes to a male end on your garden hose and the other is clamped into the bottom hose going into the radiator. I have often thought about adding some air pressure as well by just drilling a hole in the adapter to put in an air valve fitting or even just a hole as an entry port to place a rubber tipped air nozzle. I have been reluctant to do so as 1.) the normal back flushing procedures usually does the trick on my a radiators. 2.) Water is not compressable so I don't wish to accidently over pressurize the radiator and split out a seam, etc. 3. ) Finally I can see myself being sprayed by water and getting totally soaked.

A Model A buddy of mine had a sump pump in a 55 gal barrel of water that he used to back flush old radiators. The electric sump pump's output had a large rubber hose that put out plenty of water volume more the the water pressure of a normal house garden hose. He never split out any seams and the radiators were always a lot better for performance after his treatment. He has also flushed out bird nests, mouse nests, and tons of old seeds, and nut shells put in by critters. Also assorted nuts and bolts, old radiator cap gaskets, and unidentifiable globs....

I am also a believer in first using Simple Green in the operating water filled radiator first to flush out any extra water pump grease. Put some in the radiator and drive it around and flush with clean water.

I have also driven my Model A's with the radiators filled with around 2 1/2 gals. of distilled white vinegar bought cheap at Sam's Club. Then I drive them around for a few days before draining the vinegar out. When it comes out it looks just like red oxide primer paint...

I then run with anitfreeze year round.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
CarlG

I have made an adapter similar to the one pictured above, but had never heard of introducing air pressure in at the same time as water from the garden hose.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I have made an adapter similar to the one pictured above, but had never heard of introducing air pressure in at the same time as water from the garden hose.
Easy! And remember, backflushing is reversing the normal water flow direction. I bought one of those expanding plumber's helper thingy that hooks to a garden hose to blow out drains. I have an air blow gun with a 12" piece of 1/8" copper tube attached that I use to "sweep" my garage.
Method: Take out your thermostat,if you have one.
Disconnect lower hose from block, leave radiator cap ON, poke rubber thingy in hose, along with tube on blow gun. Holler for the wife to turn on the faucet. When system is Full, hit the air gun, kachung, kachung, let her fill with water again, do the kachung, kachung, again and repeat over & over. A stocking over the block side oulet is fun, so you can see what you blew out! WARNING: Don't use a GOOD stocking, or you'll be in deep POO POO wih the wife.
I hope many print this out, 'cause I've typed it out slooooowly so many times! Bill W.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Does SIMPLE GREEN foam? Bill W.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Does SIMPLE GREEN foam? Bill W.
Bill,
Yes it does to some extent, but my tap water is so hard it takes a lot of it to make any significant suds. I add SG to a hot running engine, the radiator full of circulating hot water so i just pour enough SG in so it just starts to foam. I drive the car around the block for a few times to circulate it well. I don't believe that when driving the car with SG that I am doing any tributes to Lawrence Welk through the overflow pipe. I also use Simple Green over other detergent de-greaser soaps because I can just drain the SG radiatior water on the ground. Then with the clear water flush until all of the suds are gone. The SG water to clear water flowing out of the radiator doesn't hurt my grass on my lawn.

When I am washing the Model A grease off of my hands in the sink, I use a pump bottle of my wife's laundry detergent over using SG as it does a better job (it does foam up good....).

As another note on cleaning the radiator out, when I used the vinegar you then have to get used to the idea that your car smells like a big dill pickle for a few days...
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Who's Lawerence Welk? A dill pickle on a string as an air freshener? Would it cover up Gregg's horrendous farts?? Bill W.