Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
LUCK R

Default 1940 clutch adjustment problem

I have a 1940 Tudor 221/3 speed, all stock (jalopy)
Installed a flywheel,disc,preasure plate, throwout bearing all new guarenteed to be the right parts and they match the old parts.
Now clutch adjustment has 5'' of free play at top of pedal with adjustment all the way out, and bearing barely touches throwout bearing. What could be some possible problems ? would the pedal assembly need rebuilt ? at a loss, any suggestions
CR.
LUCK R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 1940 clutch adjustment problem

Did you ck the fingers on the P/plate before you stuck the tranny back on??
paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Ken/Alabama

I ran into a simular problem once. Turned out I had a Borg &Beck style Pressure plate and not the Long style. I put it all together and couldnt get it in gear because the clutch wouldnt release.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Fibber Mcgee

I had same problem on my 49 F1. After trying I dont know how many things I took a spare clevis rod and lengthened it. That's probably not the way to go but that was 5000 miles ago and it works great.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
41LjH

IF all the parts are correct be sure the pressure plate is not in backwards. If that's OK then check the engine, transmission alignment in relation to the cars frame. I little misalignment can play havoc with the adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
JWL
Member Emeritus

Some Long style pressure plates come to the mechanic with small wooden blocks between the release arms and the outer spring cover. This puts the PP into a "released mode". These blocks make it easy to install the PP. But, if they are stuck in place the freeplay will be huge. IF(big if) this is true in your case you will probably be able to see the little wood blocks by viewing through the inspection cover opening.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Rebel Sympathy

I was thinking the same thing as JWL

Mike
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
DICK SPADARO

Well if you accidentally left the pressure plate setup spacers in place that would give an excessive throw on the pedal. That's easy to check with the engine off just put the car in gear and give it a push, if it rolls you know the clutch is in the disengaged position. If they are still in place as per JWL's post they may be accessed by popping the inspection cover and not removing the trans.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
larrys40

I like Dick's thoughts... and also, make sure your equalizer shaft has both bolts in it as if there is one missing, stripped, hole elongated, etc, it doesn't take much to shift that which effects the clutch pedal. I've had/seen that problem a couple of times.

There are two bolts on the from that hold the equalizer shaft. Check them out!
Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCK R View Post
I have a 1940 Tudor 221/3 speed, all stock (jalopy)
Installed a flywheel,disc,preasure plate, throwout bearing all new guarenteed to be the right parts and they match the old parts.
Now clutch adjustment has 5'' of free play at top of pedal with adjustment all the way out, and bearing barely touches throwout bearing. What could be some possible problems ? would the pedal assembly need rebuilt ? at a loss, any suggestions
CR.
Well, I'll tell you my little story. A few yr's ago I built a flathead for a guy that had a beautifull restored 40 rag top. Job Lot had a sale flyer with a New clutch- pressure plate - tho out brg- and piolet brg. $150.00 didn't need a core. I thought that was a good deal so I ordered one. I open the package and right across the PP was the word CHINA Well, I looked it over and couldn't see anything wrong with it so I installed it on the engine. The guy picked up the engine and installed it, got it all running and the last thing he did was try to adjust clutch. about 3-4 in. of free play. On the 40 you cain't make a longer rod like you can a 39. SO, finally had to remove the engine and installed a new rebuilt original clutch and PP. That one ajusted perfect. Job Lot gave us the money back but all the work taking engine in and out. From then on I only get my C-PP from Wayne Indiana Clutch co. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
Fibber Mcgee

Walts right, I forgot about the x member. On my F1 you could make longer clevis but on my 41 it would hit the x member.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
G.M.

I found on a lot of 39s the pedal hits the bottom of the wood floor board limiting the clutch travel. I removed some wood letting the pedal come up higher and that solved the problem. G.M.