Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Vic Piano

Default Restoration Question

Earlier today, after the ride up to meet the Breakfast Club, I got home and decided to mess with the Zephyr (not the transmission), I started rummaging through boxes on the shelves marked Lincoln Zephyr Parts and found the original shift knob (or what's left of it). Actually it had most of the original butterscotch color paint on the bottom half while the top half had much of the paint worn off as well as having a few deep scratches, etc. The knob is made of a hard rubber, not soybean plastic like the Ford. My question is; what can I use to fill the scratches that will bond to the rubber and let me sand, prime and paint the shift knob? As always, help is appreciated.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Restoration Question

try the e-poxy that the body shops use to repair the plastic body panels, the stuff I use is blue in color but seems to stay good. clean out cracks, bad spots with a degreaser-ah- you been there-done that- so I won't tell you
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
copperpenny

Vic, according to the Lincoln Zephyr restoration manual, if your 39 Zephyr had standard trim all the dash plastic knobs were of an amber color. If your car had custom trim the plastic knobs were an ivory cream plastic. If you need to replace your plastic knobs you might want to contact Keith Lee at [email protected]. He is currently casting replacement knobs for the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club members and their needy 1936-1948 Lincolns.
copperpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
ford38v8

Vic, your knob being of a hard rubber, you might be better off with a rubber based product than an Epoxy. Such a product is E6000. Clear or black only, this product and it's sister product E6100 are both rubber based, cures by evaporation of solvent, and will bond to most anything. The difference between the two is that the E6000 is self leveling, while the E6100 is non sag. They both cure hard while still being flexible, which translates to sandable and paintable, with no cracks. I've used it and I love it. Comes in a tube like toothpaste. Once opened, it thickens with age, but tightly closed will be usable for 4 - 6 months. Google the name. No, I don't get a kickback!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Vic, your knob being of a hard rubber, you might be better off with a rubber based product than an Epoxy. Such a product is E6000. Clear or black only, this product and it's sister product E6100 are both rubber based, cures by evaporation of solvent, and will bond to most anything. The difference between the two is that the E6000 is self leveling, while the E6100 is non sag. They both cure hard while still being flexible, which translates to sandable and paintable, with no cracks. I've used it and I love it. Comes in a tube like toothpaste. Once opened, it thickens with age, but tightly closed will be usable for 4 - 6 months. Google the name. No, I don't get a kickback!
Alan, thanks I appreciate the information. I'll check it out. Vic
Old 12-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperpenny View Post
Vic, according to the Lincoln Zephyr restoration manual, if your 39 Zephyr had standard trim all the dash plastic knobs were of an amber color. If your car had custom trim the plastic knobs were an ivory cream plastic. If you need to replace your plastic knobs you might want to contact Keith Lee at [email protected]. He is currently casting replacement knobs for the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club members and their needy 1936-1948 Lincolns.
I appreciate the information. Our Zephyr had the amber (looks more like butterscotch to me) dash knobs and I got a full set of them from the guy (can't remember his name) in Grand Junction, CO several years ago, just haven't gotten to the point where they are ready to be installed. He didn't have shift knobs.