Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
ahirt

Default Model A in Athens Greece

A few weeks ago someone posted about a Model A that had been found in Greece. The new owner joined MAFCA and a member here reported it. Since I spend summers in Athens (Don't like Florida weather in the summer), I decided to track down the new Model A owner

I did locate him - Adonis Raftopoulos. He is very excited about his barn find. I asked him where he found it and he told me that he went to the Greek Island of Milos and while driving on the island saw the car sitting in a field under a large pine tree. He tracked down the owner and told him "You must let me save this car". The Milos owner had purchased the car in 1939 from someone in Athens and immediately shipped it to Milos. In 1939, Milos did not have any paved roads. The car was used until sometime in the 50's when lack of parts and lack of experienced mechanics made it unusable. it was stored in a shed for about 30 years, and then moved outside under a big tree in a field where it sat for another 20 years or so.

From the pictures you can see that it is in somewhat rough shape. However, all parts seem to be present (except for original fenders). Fortunately, Mr. Raftopoulos runs a garage specializing in Restorations of old cars. He does European cars - Mini-Coopers, Citroens etc. When I was there he had a Citroen 2CV which had been stripped to the frame. They had reassembled the frame and it looked new so clearly he has the expertise to do this. He specifically told me that "the body is no problem, it is what we do". However, parts will be a challenge since there are none available in Greece, and shipping from the US isn't cheap.

I recommended that he look at this web site for advice and help. I told him that the expertise available here is amazing.

Note the carburetor is not anything I have seen. It does not use a GAV, but does have a manual choke

Anyway, I will visit the newest Model A every time I am in Athens. I wish him well. It will be nice to see another Model A resurrected!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-DSCN0015.JPG (125.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 2-DSCN0016.JPG (113.5 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 3-DSCN0017.JPG (116.1 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 4-DSCN0018.JPG (105.2 KB, 249 views)
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
flatford39

Default Re: Model A in Athens Greece

That's not rough at all. 31 splash shields. round speedometer but a 30 shell. Henry did some strange things with his exports but I suspect it's an early 31. Looks to be a deluxe with the cowl lights and shorter windshield stanchions.

What makes you think the fenders aren't original to the car.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Synchro909

As has been spoken of here many times, the cost of getting parts here from the US is absurd. Some of us have established a method of having them brought over by surface freight. It takes a while but it isn't difficult to be ahead of what you need so you are not stuck. Maybe he can find someone with a depot in the US and who does imports from the US.
Maybe our new Greek member could look at this.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
updraught

I think it is the taxes to Europe that are the problem.

The same car here would fall apart in 5 years if left outside because of the wood frame. It has survived the salt air remarkably well.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #5
Brad in Germany

I'm curious if there is a data plate on the cowl under the hood? If so, that might shed some light as to where it was assembled or made.

Some quick research indicates that The Ford Motor Company Export Inc. in Alexandria, Egypt managed Ford products in Greece. The Model A vehicles in Greece were supplied however from the assembly plant in Trieste, Italy. Does anyone have any further insight on this?

Here is the brochure that was given out to introduce the Model A in Greece:

The title reads: "The History of New Ford". The back cover has the Ford oval and written in Greek is: "Ford Motor Company Export, Inc., Alexandria, Egypt.

You may recognize this brochure since it is the same one that was used to introduce the Model A in the USA.....and in most other countries around the world as well with each country's brochures edited in the respective language of that country.

To avoid the custom fees and outrageous shipping fees, why not source the reproduction parts from any one of the other European countries Model A parts vendors. There are Model A parts dealers in Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Belgium, etc, etc. The owner could also join one of the many Model A or early Ford clubs in Europe and thus join a network of similar restorers who are able to supply just about any part that he would need.

Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5484.jpg (30.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5485.jpg (61.6 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 08-12-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

My wife & I were invited to go to Athens,Greece for (2) weeks by a wonderful, young Greek doctor's wife who has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog, which is a sister to one of my wife's dogs.

We stayed in their house, toured Greece every day, and were treated like royalty by their entire family ...... just wonderful hard working citizens.

Maybe if this gentleman in Athens would post his mailing address along with his needs, we could mail him a few small, extra Model A parts from our garage shelves.

We heard from them that Greek Customs charges outrageous fortunes to citizens for "any" new imported items and/or parts.

Model A hobby people are like any other type of hobby people the World over .... we are all bound together with the same spare time similar interest.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:42 AM   #7
mhsprecher

Thanks for tracking him down and sharing the story. The car needs a lot of work, but it sounds like it is in the right hands.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
My wife & I were invited to go to Athens,Greece for (2) weeks by a wonderful, young Greek doctor's wife who has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog, which is a sister to one of my wife's dogs.

We stayed in their house, toured Greece every day, and were treated like royalty by their entire family ...... just wonderful hard working citizens.

Maybe if this gentleman in Athens would post his mailing address along with his needs, we could mail him a few small, extra Model A parts from our garage shelves.

We heard from them that Greek Customs charges outrageous fortunes to citizens for "any" new imported items and/or parts.

Model A hobby people are like any other type of hobby people the World over .... we are all bound together with the same spare time similar interest.
Good idea, HL.
Open the packaging, rub a little grease on it and send it as second hand!?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 909,

How about mailing one of our overseas Model A associates a homemade jelly roll seasoned with a new set of points, a condenser, a few carburetor jets, a coil, and topped off with a fan belt, an ammeter and a cut-out covered with cake icing, with everything securely wrapped in double aluminum foil, and wrapped outside with a Model A wiring harness with a big white bow on top?

Hmmmm ... Have no idea what one could write on an outside Holiday Greeting Card?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
ahirt

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. I love this site because I learn an unbelievable amount thanks to the knowledge that is shared. Anyway, just saw this picture on Facebook. Apparently the new owner and his son are attacking the car vigorously. Here is a picture of where they found it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1502560541384_resized.jpg (187.2 KB, 335 views)
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Panteren

If You need any help talking to the Guy in Athens, please mail me. I have a Danish friend in Chania and she speeks Danish, English and greek language. Is it possible for You to email the Photos in a better resolution, It would be great to bring an article in the Danish Model A Clubs magazine
Panteren is offline   Reply With Quote