Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,231
Default Rust 911

I just received my Gallon of Rust 911 which when mixed could be a lifetime supply. If I have been paying attention I am to drain my cooling system and refill it with Rust 411 and drive the car for a few days. Then drain the black water out of my block. So my question would be, being as I have a severely rusted block do I this until the water drains clear?
TIA,
Chris
__________________
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
denniskliesen
Senior Member
 
denniskliesen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 679
Default Re: Rust 911

Hey Chris, where did you get the Rust 911 from?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,179
Default Re: Rust 911

Is this Out-of-the-Kitchen thinking or what?:

1. You think about just finishing a family Thanksgiving Dinner where you picked up all plates and utensils and placed them in a large sink full of hot soapy dish detergent water; and, you wash the dishes in this sink, rinse all with clear water over the adjacent sink, and put dishes aside; and,

2. You now think whether adding this dirty dishwater mixed with greasy food particles to your radiator, will possibly clog your "clean" Model A radiator; and, if so,

3. You think that maybe the cleaning of the dishes may be similar to cleaning greasy chunks of rust from your block when you operate your engine; and,

5. Would it be wise to place some sort of filter in your upper radiator hose to trap greasy block debris from clogging your "clean" radiator?

Hmmmmm! A clean block with a clogged radiator? Or is there a Plan B?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #4
CWPASADENA
Senior Member
 
CWPASADENA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PASADENA, CA
Posts: 1,229
Default Re: Rust 911

If the car has been running with the radiator that is in it, I would put in the Rust 911, run it until black, drain and flush and repeat until the Rust 911 no longer turns black.

Flush again a couple of times and put in distilled water and additive or anti freeze (which I do not like to run in a Model A unless you need it to prevent freezing).

If there is a lot of oil residue in the cooling system, you may first want to de-grease the system first. Evidently Rust 911 gets contaminated in the presence of grease and oil and does not work very well.

I am going to use Rust 911 in one of my cars with rust in the block.

I ordered my Rust 911 directly from their web site.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Jason in TX
Senior Member
 
Jason in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ⓉⒺXⒶⓈ
Posts: 2,037
Default Re: Rust 911

I would also put a womens stocking in your radiator neck to catch crud you just need the foot part. poke it into the upper radiator tank through the upper neck and then re-attach your upper hose. You will be surprised how much garbage you catch.

(great images from Isaiah Garcia‎ on the MARC Facebook page)



Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiatortrash01.jpg (33.7 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg radiatortrash02.jpg (33.9 KB, 290 views)
__________________
--------------
Drive it like you know how to fix it!
DMAFC / OILERS CC-MC
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,179
Default Re: Rust 911

Hi Chris,

Your initial post for using any type of chemicals in a Model A block creates thoughts about any Model A owner's use of chemicals.

Every now and then some past Model A owners attempted to clean their Model A blocks; however, they sometimes forgot about coolant filtration similar to that shown in above Reply No. 5.

Whether one is informed or not of this issue, one may be taking a risk that the cast iron block debris removed can possibly cause partial blockage within the small tubes of a near perfect expensive Model A radiator.

Please let us know how well your Rust 911 cleaning procedure worked ..... many Model A owners' eyes will be focused and awaiting your Rust 911 report of results.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-30-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,231
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Hey Chris, where did you get the Rust 911 from?
Amazon.com
__________________
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,231
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Is this Out-of-the-Kitchen thinking or what?:

1. You think about just finishing a family Thanksgiving Dinner where you picked up all plates and utensils and placed them in a large sink full of hot soapy dish detergent water; and, you wash the dishes in this sink, rinse all with clear water over the adjacent sink, and put dishes aside; and,

2. You now think whether adding this dirty dishwater mixed with greasy food particles to your radiator, will possibly clog your "clean" Model A radiator; and, if so,

3. You think that maybe the cleaning of the dishes may be similar to cleaning greasy chunks of rust from your block when you operate your engine; and,

5. Would it be wise to place some sort of filter in your upper radiator hose to trap greasy block debris from clogging your "clean" radiator?

Hmmmmm! A clean block with a clogged radiator? Or is there a Plan B?
That has already been done.
__________________
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,231
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
If the car has been running with the radiator that is in it, I would put in the Rust 911, run it until black, drain and flush and repeat until the Rust 911 no longer turns black.

Flush again a couple of times and put in distilled water and additive or anti freeze (which I do not like to run in a Model A unless you need it to prevent freezing).

If there is a lot of oil residue in the cooling system, you may first want to de-grease the system first. Evidently Rust 911 gets contaminated in the presence of grease and oil and does not work very well.

I am going to use Rust 911 in one of my cars with rust in the block.

I ordered my Rust 911 directly from their web site.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Chris W.
The block has been flushed with both Muriatiac acid and white vinegar. The head has been blasted inside and out. The radiator has a fresh core. I left the Rust 911 in for a few days and drained out dark black thicker than water liquid. So I am going to give it a second dose. My question is does the Rust 911 ever stop getting thick and black? How many times need I repeat this operation to insure clean cooling passages?
__________________
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,518
Default Re: Rust 911

I "heard" that DAWN was a FAILED concoction, it was supposedly formulated to clean a D-8 Caterpillar Engine!!! BUT, it worked SUPER for dishes & black, oily Birds & Wildlife.
Sorta' like the POST-IT "story"---LOL
If you ever need to know something, jist ask my Dog (He asked me to add this)
Bill Researcher
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,179
Default Re: Rust 911

Hi Chris,

Water can cause cast iron to rust.

Rust 911 converts rust and creates a black residue.

The black residue mixes with water as the water circulates; hence, the water is black.

In trying to answer your question,

"My question is does the Rust 911 ever stop getting thick and black?"

There is a definite answer one may want to try; but, it may appear asinine!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #12
Railcarmover
Senior Member
 
Railcarmover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 835
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I "heard" that DAWN was a FAILED concoction, it was supposedly formulated to clean a D-8 Caterpillar Engine!!! BUT, it worked SUPER for dishes & black, oily Birds & Wildlife.
Sorta' like the POST-IT "story"---LOL
If you ever need to know something, jist ask my Dog (He asked me to add this)
Bill Researcher



D8H 46 A..no sissy high track,a mans dozer..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,263
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post


D8H 46 A..no sissy high track,a mans dozer..
Yes, I never understood the idea of making the track make another bend. It gives the track and pins 50% more wear, and it looks funny.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #14
Railcarmover
Senior Member
 
Railcarmover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 835
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, I never understood the idea of making the track make another bend. It gives the track and pins 50% more wear, and it looks funny.

According to Chatterpillar the high final drive has less shock load due to no ground contact..and according to the engineers (true knowers of things)
it has more effective track wrap...from a mechanics point of view the high tracks are easier to work on...but they are way less manly..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #15
H. L. Chauvin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,179
Default Re: Rust 911

Hi Chris,

Not all manufactured coatings provided on cast iron can stop molecules of water from penetrating same; hence, forming ferric oxide is possible.

My guess is what may work best is to provide your Rust 911 treatment, then flush with clear water; and repeat Rust 911 treatment and flushing with clear water to your satisfaction.

Afterwards, adding 50/50 percent coolant/distilled water, and providing Prestone antifreeze coolant can prevent further Model A block rusting as well as any other manufactured product.

There are so many varying Forum "Pro & Con" opinions on any Model A subject that one just has to pick and choose whatever one thinks is best.

This is the most "non-asinine" coolant suggestion I can think of ........... prior to a most wonderful July 4th weekend.

I hope you have great success with your Rust 911 and have a Happy 4th.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-30-2017 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #16
Chris Haynes
Senior Member
 
Chris Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
Posts: 2,231
Default Re: Rust 911

After repeated flushing and a couple days of driving have distributed a fine silt of black particles through the cooling system. Most were small enough that they passed through the nylon stocking in the upper tank. The car is running cool, actually mid range on the temp gauge, during 90 degree weather. I guess more flushing tomorrow morning to try to get the silt out.
__________________
1930 Tudor
Early 1930 AA
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,518
Default Re: Rust 911

Anyone seen or operated a Model-22 Caterpillar? I could write PAGES & PAGES about my experiences with one!!!---LOL--They were made BEFORE the "D" prefix was used.
Bill Farmer
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
Railcarmover
Senior Member
 
Railcarmover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 835
Default Re: Rust 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Anyone seen or operated a Model-22 Caterpillar? I could write PAGES & PAGES about my experiences with one!!!---LOL--They were made BEFORE the "D" prefix was used.
Bill Farmer



I was a Cletrac guy...differential steering,way before its time
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
Railcarmover
Senior Member
 
Railcarmover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 835
Default Re: Rust 911

I got my crap out of the water jacket the old fashioned way..I yarded the head and cleaned the water jacket with compressed air..sand,rocks,petrified sticks and grass..gotta flow test your radiator too,I back flushed mine,a bunch more came out,got it to drain 4 seconds..when trying to flush and assembled system you chase your own tail,from water jacket to radiator..the crap just migrates..even a stocking doesnt get it all..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.