Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
PeteVS

Default FWIW- Rustoleum spray paint

Yes, I know, I shouldn't be using it but... Anyway, they used to use the little red spray nozzles and when I was finished using a color, I'd turn the can upside down, hold the nozzle for a couple of seconds until paint stopped coming out. Then, I'd wipe off the face of the nozzle and put the can away for the next use. THEN, they started using the "fat" white nozzles. When I was finished with a color, I'd invert the can, hold the nozzle and the paint kept coming out as long as I held it!! I figured that they had found a way for a can to spray in any position. Turns out that I was only getting three, maybe four uses out of a can before it was hopelessly clogged. Rats! So, today, I disected a can. Turns out that what they did was put in a monstrous tube from the bottom of the can up to the nozzle. It probably holds enough paint for a half minute of more of spraying with the can upside down. I take that to be a clever marketing ploy to sell more paint. So, now, I'm looking for other brands that will be easier to keep the nozzle cleaned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rustoleum 01.jpg (46.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Rustoleum 02.jpg (75.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by PeteVS; 06-10-2017 at 12:56 PM.
PeteVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
mountstimothy0

Default Re: FWIW- Rustoleum spray paint

Plus. With my experience those nozzles are notorious for clogging

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
mountstimothy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountstimothy0 View Post
Plus. With my experience those nozzles are notorious for clogging

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
Ya know, thanks for posting this. I thought it was just me having trouble.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Karl Wolf

I've started using WD40 when done. Remove tip from can and spray WD40 through the tip.
Leave it that way... Got to remember to spray- clear- this out before painting next...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
I've started using WD40 when done. Remove tip from can and spray WD40 through the tip.
Leave it that way... Got to remember to spray- clear- this out before painting next...

Karl
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that next time I use a can.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
glennpm

I've had the same bad performance with the new white"fat" nozzles clogging up and wasting lots of paint that I can't get out of the can. Soaking in all kinds of solvents was fruitless. Might give the WD40 trick a try. I complained to Rustoleum last year to let them know and that I was seeking other products.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Bob C

Thanks for the info, I wondered why I couldn't get the paint to stop coming out when I turned the can upside down

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
40cpe

As far as I know all spray cans have the tube to the bottom. I haven't used the Rustoleum, but I put the nozzle in a cap of lacquer thinner for a few minutes and then blow through it with the blow gun on the air hose. Then it is clean and dry for the next time.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
4t8v8

Same here. Found lacquer thinner works good. They need to look at Krylon's spray nozzles. Never have any trouble with them.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
willowbilly3

Same experience here but I find it's more clogged paint in the tube itself than the nozzle. If you can find Martin Senior paint, it is far superior to Krylon or Rustoleum, the standard run stuff. It is high solids, has a very nice spray pattern and the nozzle is easy on the finger. NAPA used to sell it as their own label.
BTW, we used to cut every empty apart for the cool cobalt blue marble.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
STEVE O

Thanks for the post. I never held it upside down long enough to clear it. I guess I will waste a lot of paint but its good to know I can aleast save what is left. Also I hated Krylon but in the last few years have improved their product. I had heard Rustoleum and Krylon had joined are were the same company?
STEVE O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
woodiewagon46

Pete, I have the same issue withe Rust-0lium paint. It seems the only time I can use it is when the can is brand new, even when I hold the can upside down to clear the nozzle.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
TagMan

I've been using Rustoleum spray cans for years and have always removed the nozzle after spraying, soaking it in thinner and blowing through it.

I also experienced the long amount of time to clear the nozzle with the can inverted and having the nozzle / line clog with the new nozzle. I found that if the temperature of the can is below 70°F, the nozzle will clog, so whether the ambient temperature is low or not, I now sit the can in a pan of hot water (the hottest faucet temp) for about 15-minutes before spraying, shake the can for at least a full minute and spray without clogging. I haven't experienced any clogging problems since I started that regimen.

-Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
GB SISSON

I have at least 25 cans of rustoleum spray paint that are clogged. Some are nearly full. I have installed brand new tips on them and they are still clogged in the tube. Granted, some are ten years old. I really like their paint and continue to buy it and I'm really anxious to learn more tricks from others. Thanks for the tips so far and keep them coming. Why do I save the old ones? No idea. I guess I have lots of shelves...... Maybe I need to switch to the tips that come on brake parts cleaner. I can unload a 5 dollar can of that stuff in 30 seconds.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #15
MGG

Check your store's return policy. Several times when the Rustoleum can has clogged up on me I have returned the can to the store for a full refund. If we all could do this maybe they would get the message to go back to the old design.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
woodiewagon46

Anybody know how to send this forum to Rust-Olium, they might get the hint.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post

Karl
Lordy, WD40 and any sort of paint in the same neighborhood is a disastrous formula for FISHEYES in the paint. I can't believe there's any guaranteed way to get rid of the gazillions of microscopic molecules of the silicon found in the WD40 that causes the fisheyes. WD40 sprayed across the street can blow into a shop and absolutely destroy a paint job........been there! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
alanwoodieman

my local ACE hardware owner told me that their brand rust paint was made by flood (rustoleum) and I never have trouble with their spray cans
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #19
russcc

I had the same problem with plugged nozzles. Called Rustoleum customer service, they sent at least 50 nozzles for zip, set for life now. I just throw them away and use a new one.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
325w

Krylon and rustolem are the same company. That's why krylon is not as good as it used to be. Try to find Seymour brand. It's like using the old krylon. Seymour makes different labels for other companies.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote