Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
CornDog05

Default How many MPG with your A?

I tried to search but did not have any luck. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting out of a stock Model A with a full tank of fuel? Thanks!

-Justin
CornDog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
goodoldvic

Default Re: How many MPG with your A?

you will get some different responses. 10-18 mpg seems to be the ball park. Before my tired engine was rebuilt I was getting 12-14. I've only got like 300 or so on the new engine so no data yet. Good luck
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
jhowes

Millage varies but a club in Fla. ran a test of sorts last year and my brother with a stock B engine and a volvo overdrive did no better than any of the others. He got around 18 on his town car. On the othger hand, I, with my 31 two-door that is worn out and stock will pull 20 on most trips. I have just rebuilt the engine and no data is available yet. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

I know i get over 20 locally, don't keep written record, but always 100 miles or more for 5 gal, on a long trip that I kept track, got 23mpg on the trip averaged over 1500 miles, rarely under 50, not over 65 ---3:78 rear, stock head, "B" cam, zenith carb, full advance

the before engine only got 15, the valve seats were ground deep, the cam worn, as a bonus the top speed went from 52 to 67 with the cam and valve seats along with some rod weight matching, thermostat
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

There was an article in a 1960's "Restorer" that described a California MAFCA club's efforts to measure typical gas mileage for a Model A. The club used such a similar test conducted by the Ford Motor Company in the Model A days as a benchmark to judge how well the members had restored their engines. As I recall, the CHiPS loaned the club special equipment to use during the tests so that accuracy could be assured.
It's been a LONG time since I read that article (maybe 25 years?), but as I recall, the results were all over the map, as "goodoldvic" states likely today. Some Model A's got very good mileage, while others didn't. There are so many variables involved in a test like this that to make a final definitive judgment of average mileage attained by a Model A is an exercise in futility. It could only fall into a range with an error margin of four or five MPG, which would drive a statistician to tears. I do recall that the modern test from the 1960's didn't result in any Model A achieving the mythical 32+ MPG or anywhere close to what old timers bragged about. Low to mid-20's was the high, with a loosey-goosey average falling into the mid-teens. Predictably, the Ford tests from the Model A era showed much higher MPG, as the results were used in advertising and sales pitches to mileage-conscious potential customers. Who knows how those result were skewed back in the days before truth in advertising guidelines and laws were passed? The general opinion of the people taking part in the 1960's test was that they were not able to meet the 1930's test results for mileage and therefore questioned Ford's figures.
You might try a search of back issue articles in the "Restorer" to find this article. Will the results still be relevant today, though? I imagine that with the many performance enhancement parts available to us today that weren't commonly available in the 1960's for restorations during that era, our result today would be different from 50+ years ago. More efficient cylinder heads of many favors being produced today, electronic ignition systems, flow tested jets, and advanced engine rebuilding parts/techniques have all contributed to possibly increasing the Model A's gas mileage these days. Of course, all it takes is one poorly rebuilt carburetor to throw all the results off.
My gut feeling for a TYPICAL MPG expectation would be about 16-19 if all is up to snuff and basically stock. This would be at normal 35 MPH speeds, not interstate driving or idling down the street. I think if one's Model A mileage is in this range, he has nothing or complain or brag about. Anything above 20MPG would be terrific; anything below 16MPG calls for attention to the various components of the engine.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 05-21-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
Rex_A_Lott

Its going to make a fair amount of difference just what fuel you put in it....Ethanol or not, Marvel Mystery Oil or not, winter or summer blend, etc. It wont burn any more than you put in it, just enjoy the car. If it makes you happy to keep up with all that, and have something to sit around and discuss, then more power to you. FWIW, if youre getting any less than 15, something needs attention, but thats just my opinion.. Good Luck!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
mshmodela

I now run 100% gasoline which has more energy than 90% gasoline... Still I'd guess in the teens mpg wise and that's all city miles...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
JimK1930A

Last weekend I drove a 75 mile round trip of various roads doing 30 to 50 mph. I only used 5 gallons of gas=15 MPG.
I also only use 91 octane non-oxygenated gas and a Tillotson carburetor.
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
Gold Digger

I've watched this real close for the past 4 years. If I keep the points set between .018 and .020 I get the best mileage which is between 19 and 21 mpg. I run a straight rear end and always buy no-ethanol fuel. I drive around 35 to 45 mph in mountainous conditions most of the time.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

We'd get 20 MPG with the '29 Tudor running Sunoco regular, in the 70's. Driving 40 MPH average.

My Dad had a 1960 Dodge that he bought new, (why he bought that thing I'll never know, got rid of it soon after and went back to Fords) and struggled to get 12 MPG. Guys at the restaurant he frequented that had '59 and '60 cars of that same ilk bragged about getting 18 and 20 MPG. Pop took that thing into the local Mopar garage several times complaining about the gas mileage, they timed and fiddled and fooled with it, and it never got better. When he told the Service Mgr. about the gas mileage the others were getting, the Serv. Mgr. told him 'The difference is, YOU'RE telling the truth.'

I never forgot that lesson he told me And I was just a kid back then.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
We'd get 20 MPG with the '29 Tudor running Sunoco regular, in the 70's. Driving 40 MPH average.

My Dad had a 1960 Dodge that he bought new, (why he bought that thing I'll never know, got rid of it soon after and went back to Fords) and struggled to get 12 MPG. Guys at the restaurant he frequented that had '59 and '60 cars of that same ilk bragged about getting 18 and 20 MPG. Pop took that thing into the local Mopar garage several times complaining about the gas mileage, they timed and fiddled and fooled with it, and it never got better. When he told the Service Mgr. about the gas mileage the others were getting, the Serv. Mgr. told him 'The difference is, YOU'RE telling the truth.'

I never forgot that lesson he told me And I was just a kid back then.
That reminded me, of something Pop told me once, " You gotta watch these people, a man will lie about how much gas mileage and how much pussy he gets".
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

As long as it's running and driving perfectly, set up correctly, the plugs show the proper burn, I don't worry about numbers
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
CornDog05

Thank you for all the responses. Lots of great info! My '28 coupe is not road ready, as of yet, but I was just wondering for when I do start driving it. Judging on the responses, the cars get better mileage than I expected.

-Justin
CornDog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
TerryH

My 1930 Town Sedan gets much better mileage on a trip or tour on the freeway. A couple of long trips got around 22 mpg, with cruising at 55 mph, but with a Mitchell OD and 5.5 head. In town with lots of stop and go driving, it falls off to about 15 mpg.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
larryf

Usually 18 to 19
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
As long as it's running and driving perfectly, set up correctly, the plugs show the proper burn, I don't worry about numbers
Exactly right I agree I don't keep track. I just enjoy the ride!
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
CarlG

I don't keep track, but my usual response to the question is "about 20"
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #18
Slotblog

On my 2,800 mile trip from McMinnville, OR, to Norcross, GA, October before last I logged a low of 15.1 and a high of 17.8. Totally stock 1930 Tudor with a decent, though 40+ year old engine. Have no idea if it has ever been rebuilt.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #19
1931 flamingo

Don't really care. I enjoy a ride to a show/cruise. When it gets down to about a 1/4 tank I put another 10$ in and a couple of glugs of MMO.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #20
CYB4

My good old, but strong engine with 5.5 Snyders head (max speed 65 mph) takes about 15.5 mpg.

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #21
Cornishman

Mine will do more MPG than most of yours because we use bigger gallons!
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #22
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I agree with Mitch. They are like kids.. all a little different. do you know two little old ladies exactly alike? I think not!

Last I checked some time ago on a trip to Kansas City with my '30 tudor I got 23 mpg. I run a ryan overdrive, so it is probably skewed a little.. but as Mitch said with proper tune ( carb & timing) and plugs that are burning well don't worry about it. Other things more important in life than a few more MPG's in my book!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #23
burner31

I don't keep track, I don't really care, all I know is I'm driving a Model A and I'm enjoying myself...worth every penny.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #24
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
I heard that Christopher Columbus got the best mileage in history... over three thousand miles per galleon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 935dd70d3957ea176222ac9fd49496a3.jpg (10.5 KB, 10 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #25
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Don't really care. I enjoy a ride to a show/cruise. When it gets down to about a 1/4 tank I put another 10$ in and a couple of glugs of MMO.
Paul in CT
I just add gas when the rest of the group stops to fill up
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #26
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
That reminded me, of something Pop told me once, " You gotta watch these people, a man will lie about how much gas mileage and how much pussy he gets".
also add number and size of fish caught, accuracy at the gun range, and how many points the buck had on it

Would anyone have a wild guess of what a 29/29 AA would get with the high speed 5.14:1 rearend?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
also add number and size of fish caught, accuracy at the gun range, and how many points the buck had on it

Would anyone have a wild guess of what a 29/29 AA would get with the high speed 5.14:1 rearend?
Maybe 10 if you are lucky. 10 to 12 is the very best I could get out of my 1949 Chevy 1 1/2 ton with a flatbed and a 216 engine. It sounded pretty wound up at 50 MPH, so I liked to drive it 45 as much as possible.

My stock 28 Phaeton gets about 17 in town and 22 on the highway at 45 MPH.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #28
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDog05 View Post
I tried to search but did not have any luck. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting out of a stock Model A with a full tank of fuel? Thanks!

-Justin
I have been tracking fuel mileage on all my cars for one year using the I phone with an application called "Mileage keeper" My 31 Slant Sedan "City & Road Trips" averages 14.2 and my 31 Roadster "all local short trip" averages 13.4.
The best mileage this past year was with my sedan at 19.2 and that was when I took a road trip to Hershey that was mostly non stop secondary roads "No Highway" if I was to run on a highway most likely would be in the low 20s but feel safer on secondary roads. Really do not care much about the mileage but track it because if I find the fuel mileage to drop off I will look for vacuum, carburetor or timing issues so tracking fuel mileage can be a pretty good tool to identify a problem before it gets to be a major issue.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #29
jimalabam

Why worry with the numbers, if all is well, upper teens is good. Just enjoy the drive, 10 miles or 1000 miles. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
THAT'S funny well put
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #31
Bob Johnson

Default Survey Says

Here is a link to a survey I did.

Survey Link

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote