Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
sam03

Default 1951 F3 Build

Well i finally found a project truck that i could afford and had cash at the same time. I found a 51 F3 on Craigslist that was going to be crushed if not sold. Luckily it was only 7miles from my house and the owner had a trailer and was willing to drop it off. The owner bought it for the flathead 6 and didn't have anything to do with the rest. The plan is to build a budget resto that i can drive and enjoy. I know flathead and budget dont go together but I really want a flathead in the truck.

1951 F3

So i started looking for parts around me. I found a "run" chassis 20miles away but when i got there i found out that the guy meant it ran back in the 50s...but ended up bring it home any ways for a couple parts that were missing that i knew i could use on the build and if I'm lucky maybe the engine will not be as bad once i open it up and can be used. If not its a cool piece of history.

pics of the 1952 F1 parts truck

This past Sunday the guy i bought the F3 called and said his buddy had some spare front end i could have if i came and got it. It had been sitting in the weeds for years and had a couple bullet holes so its going to need work but whatever it wasn't far and the old guy had abt 50 old cars and trucks in his yard so i got to look at a bunch of rust gold and hear cool stories on how he got some of them.
sam03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
1952henry

Default Re: 1951 F3 Build

It's a start. Once you figure out the direction you want to go, you might end up with some parts you can liquidate for cash.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
tiquer

Hi the water pumps on your parts truck look like mercury maybe you have the 4" crank
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
billwill

Sorrry the rear is not a f3 rear
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
waterboychuck

It looks like you have plenty of work ahead of you. If you're going to use the F3 I would suggest you remove some of the leaf springs in the back for a smoother ride. That's what I did to my 48 F1. Good luck and have some fun with your project.

Chuck
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
1952henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
Sorrry the rear is not a f3 rear
He's got two different pickups pictured. The F3 in the top picture has the 3/4 ton rearend.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
sam03

The plan is to use the frame from the 52 since it is in better condition. I have a 4 speed in the F3 that i will hook up to the flathead if i can use it, if not i will keep looking for a another flathead. I'm working on cleaning up the frame removing the wires and 50yrs of dirt and grime. Paint the frame and start building from there. Also want to start breaking down the cab so i can get it inside the garage and start working on the rust. I will get the numbers of the motor and see if i can id it.

Here is a pic of he F3 springs and rear.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
sortkaffekop

Nice project. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing!
sortkaffekop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
Hi the water pumps on your parts truck look like mercury maybe you have the 4" crank
The 8RT pumps (truck) look a lot like the Mercury pumps.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
1952henry

Is the 52 the 1/2 ton? You probably already know that the four speed in the F3 is a spur gear=double clutching. What transmission is in the 1/2 ton?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
sam03

The 52 is a 1/2ton has a 3 speed on column. But someone cut the column and pedals and linkage when they pulled the cab off. I was planning on using the 4 speed figuring it would be better and knowing that it is actually a good working tranny. That said am i on the right track using the 4 speed over a 3 speed?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
jboren

The 4 speed as already mentioned is the "spur" or straight cut gears with no synchronizers. There is quite the art in learning to shift it without grinding it. That being said it is also the transmission that I have in my 48 F-3 and would not dream of swapping it. It is very different and the sounds and talent of knowing how to drive it is part of the "charm" of it. A lot of people despise the T-9 but they don't know how to drive it. Honestly if I were driving it everyday I would probably hate it but like I said it is part of the "experience" of driving a 65 year old truck. An interesting aside I put my then 16 year old son in the driver seat of the F-3 and he had obviously been watching me as he shifted it like a pro the first time he drove it. He didn't grind it at all on the first shift. He still loves to drive it as well.
One other note. If you run across another flathead 6 to put in there you will not be sorry for making that decision as well. Nothing against the V-8 as I had one too as a kid but I now am very partial to the 6. It has better low end grunt and is incredibly smooth. It is just an all around better engine than the 8 IMHO.
jboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam03 View Post
The 52 is a 1/2ton has a 3 speed on column. But someone cut the column and pedals and linkage when they pulled the cab off. I was planning on using the 4 speed figuring it would be better and knowing that it is actually a good working tranny. That said am i on the right track using the 4 speed over a 3 speed?
It's a horse apiece as far as speed is concerned, since they are both direct in high gear. As mentioned, there is a bit of charm involved listening to the music from a spur gear! Once you get the hang of shifting it, you won't even need the clutch, just get a feel for the right rpm and shift, like a semi.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
Ross F-1

I don't think it's a choice to use the F-1 frame with the 4-sp out of the F-3. The F-3 has a different crossmember and therefore a different rear bearing retainer/trans mount. You could swap it to the F-1 style 4-sp retainer/mount, but honestly I would hate to be in traffic with the non-synchro trans. There are plenty of '48-'50 3-sp floor shift trannies around.

Do you get titles for both trucks?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
sam03

I'm working on the title. I have the paper work and a bill of sale. Just have to get it signed and should be ready to go. I found a flathead 6 that is suppose to be in good running condition but has been sitting for a couple years. It has a attached trans but the guy cant remember what it was. He bought it out of a 51 car but never had the money get his project car to put the motor in. Hopefully when i get there it will look and feel as pictured and described. He pulled the plugs and said they were clean and not corroded and the engine turned freely.

I have two sets of axles one set from the F3 8lug and a set from the F1 that are 5 lug is there any advantage to one of the other? From what i have found the hubs and brakes are the only difference. I kinda like the 8lug cause its different from all the other trucks i see around here.

here are some pics

Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
brandonstc

I would be cautious about the "running when parked story". My truck was supposedly running when parked. When i got it, the engine needed to be rebuilt and was obviously not running when parked. If the transmission was also removed from a 1951 ford car, it will be a 3 speed on the column. On my 1949 ford pickup (3 speed heavy duty) you dont have to double clutch when upshifting, but you have to double clutch when downshifting. In my opinion the 3 speed heavy duty transmission is a very good transmission.
brandonstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Ross F-1

No one has said the magic words, "widowmakers", so I'll mention it. The wheels on the F-3 are surely WM's and you need to be very careful around them. Using the F-1 parts neatly avoids that whole mess.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #18
38 coupe

If you are building the F-3 there are a few things to be aware of: If you ever need to sell the truck long beds are less desirable than short beds. The stock F-3 rear axle is about guaranteed to be geared like a tractor with 4.86 gears in it. The 14 in rear brakes on the F-3 prevent bolting on 16 inch wheels so you have to look harder for suitable wheels. Anything that is F-2 & F-3 specific is harder to find (fenders, running boards, tailgate, bed).

All that said, if you are up for it I think you should build a 3/4 ton. When is the last time you saw one? You see 1/2 tons around but not 3/4 tons. The easy way to get around all the rear axle problems is to get a Dana 60 axle from a 1972 or earlier F-250 with a 4.11 or 3.73 gear set. This will get around the low gearing and the rear brake problems in one step These axles are not quite a bolt in since you need to figure out u-joints, drive shaft length, and brake hoses but these are not that hard. I think five lug wheels under a 3/4 ton look silly.

If you decide to build the 3/4 ton you should join the 48-56 group on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/

As an attempt to help persuade you to go 3/4 ton, here is a picture of my F-2.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #19
alanwoodieman

38coupe-why is such a beautiful truck just gathering dust? great color combo
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
38 coupe

alanwoodieman - my truck has burned exhaust valves and is several priorities down the list right now. #1 priority is cleaning out my dad's shop and selling off extra parts (know anyone that want a 1934 Pontiac engine, transmission, torque tube, and rear axle?). Next on the priority list is working on everyone's tour cars until they are satisfactory: finish rebuilding and installing factory power steering in a good friend's 53 Mercury, replace the lead gasket in dad's 37 flatback gas tank, add parking brakes to the hydraulic conversion to dad's 37 flatback, whatever else is needed to dad's 37 flatback, get the heater and A/C working in my 53 sedan with 215 six, whatever we need to do to keep a running flathead for my brother, and etc. But look at the fun we are having...

edit: my apologies for hyjacking the original thread.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled programming!
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote