Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Billt72

Default How to remove gas tank on 1929 Ford Model A Sport Coupe

Hello everyone- just signed up on the forum as I was informed about this through the Lancaster, PA Gene Renninger 1929 car show. Thank you in advance! Just inherited this vehicle from grandfather. Need to remove gas tank, but cannot figure it out. Anyone have pictures, videos, books, etc or any advice on how to do this? Appreciate it!!
Billt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: How to remove gas tank on 1929 Ford Model A Sport Coupe

You will have to remove the bolts on the firewall, the bolts and clips along each side under the tank and the bolts along the top amd sides of the tank where it attaches to the cowl rail and cowl posts. Make sure the fuel line, radiator support rods, coil, coil wires and popout cable are removed. After that it is simply lift the front edge of the tank up and forward and the tank is out. Rod
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Easiest to remove both upholstered kick panels and the clamps that pinch the tank to the cowl panels, lower steering column mount, instrument panel and all wiring/cables, remove the gas shut-off valve and lines after draining tank, and remove dash panel and the bolts behind that. Remove radiator support rods & hood, remove coil, remove 8 bolts along the face of the cowl. I'm probably missing some minor steps along the way but they say pictures are worth a thousand words, so the pictures below should be save me typing 5 or 6 thousand words! The rust inside the tank is the reason why we are restoring this tank, so you are not the only one who has found themselves needing to remove a tank. Good luck!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2549.jpg (65.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2551.jpg (70.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.jpg (67.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2636.jpg (59.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2637.jpg (65.8 KB, 136 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
wrndln

Removing the gas tank on 28/29 cars is not an easy task, but not overly difficult either. There are several groups of bolt/nuts that need to be removed. I just removed the gas tank from my 29 pickup a few days ago. It took a while. First, there are 5 clamps with bolts & nuts that hold the sides of the gas tank to the cowl on each side. These need to be removed. Note: These were the hardest to remove of all the bolts on my pickup as they were pretty rusted and several bolts broke. I usually use heat (torch) to break the 80+ year bond between the nuts and bolts. There are 8 or 10 bolts that fasten the front of the gas tank to the firewall. These need to be removed - these bolts are usually not that hard to remove. There is a row of bolts across the top of the gas tank, under the dash panel. These need to be removed. That should take care of the bolts holding the gas tank in place. You also need to remove the two screws that hold the steering column in place. Lastly, you need to disconnect the fuel line from the gas tank to the firewall inside the car. Before you start, be sure to drain any remaining gas from the tank. If you still have questions, I have a few pictures I took I could sent you if you send me your email address. Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Billt72

You guys are great! Thank you very much. Hope I can offer some advice down the road as I know I am going to take more advice than I can give in the near future.
Billt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
fordcoupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Always remember a EMPTY fuel tank is NOT SAFE till you purge all the fumes out of it
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

If you are new to Model A's it helps to take a lot of pictures, take notes, and draw sketches before you take things apart. Then keep all the hardware in jars with notes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
1931 flamingo

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE !!!!
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
wrndln

Tom is right. With digital camera cheap and readily available, it pays to take a lot of pictures of the area you are going to work on or dismantle and I mean a LOT. I do that and wish I had take even more pictures, sometimes, to remember how it was originally.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote