Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #21
Popeye31

Default Re: the history of your car ???????

The only thing I know about my 30 ccpu is it was built in the NewOrleans plant , and the guy I bought it from was using it for a pond display with plants growing out of the cowl. and he purchased the truck from some one in slidell.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
Tudortomnz

My Tudor was shipped semi built up from Canada late '29 & registered new Dec. 7, '29.
First lady owner at Waimate [ Sth Islnd of NZ] ran a boarding house & used the A for trips to the nearby family farm. She gave the car to her niece in 1958 just before she died. The niece used it for 2 years then sold it for approx. $200 at Christchurch [ think earthquakes] to an Englishman who used it until it literally stopped. I was just about to turn 15 & wanted an old Model A like Dad had, so my parents paid $90 & it was towed home with my name put on the 1929 ownership papers. I have actually met both previous owners except, of course, the first lady. It had 64,000 miles & needed a thorough tidy up. Im now 57 & will never sell it.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

I have a 1929 AA CCPU that I bought from a gentleman in Noble Ville Indiana. He said it came from Goegia, spend the last 8years in Indiana. on the door rail it was wrote in pencial that in 1952 it had 82,000 miles on it. When I bought it had 84,000 miles. Now under complete restoration. This going tobe a driver to have fun with.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye31 View Post
The only thing I know about my 30 ccpu is it was built in the NewOrleans plant , and the guy I bought it from was using it for a pond display with plants growing out of the cowl. and he purchased the truck from some one in slidell.
That's funny mine was rebuilt by a guy in Slidell. I don't have his name handy. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
montanafordman

My grandpa purchased my 1931 coupe roughly around 1962 from Cliff Ullman in Rudyard, MT. He put it in the garage where it sat for nearly 30 years until after he retired from farming in 1988. He began working on it around the spring of 1989 and had it back on the road sometime around 1993-1994.

I'll never forget my first ride in the car. It hadn't been upholstered yet and he had plenty of work left but we cruised around the dusty roads of his rural town of Gildford, MT anyway with my Grandpa sitting on a 5 gallon bucket while I sat on the floor since he didn't have the seat finished. We were both grinning ear to ear! He tinkered with it as much as his time, pateince and health allowed until his passing in 2008. He always said it was going to be my car one day and now you know.. the rest of the story!

I wasn't able to pick the car up since I didn't have a place for it until last september. The guy my grandfather bought the car from is still around and he wanted to meet me and show me a vintage auto, pioneer and dinasaur museum (three different buildings in a VERY small town) that he had a hand in puting together so I got a chance to visit with him a little when I was back in the old stomping grounds. He is 94 and still driving around and has volunteered a LOT of his time and resources putting together the three musueums and has a few cars he owned and restored in the car museum and lots of dinasaur fossils found on his land in the dinasaur museum. These museums were a community effort with many of the locals contributing that turned out quite well. This is all located in the tiny little town of Rudyard, MT on US HYW 2. Its VERY impressive for hardly being a dot on the map and I was pretty amazed. If you're ever cruising across Montana's highline you should check the museums out! You might even get to meet Cliff, he's an interesting guy that gets around VERY well for his age. He sure seemed to like the hugs he was getting from the ladies though... I hope to be like that when I"m 94!

Here is a photo of me with the guy my grandpa bought his Model A from back in the early 60s. Taken right before I trailered it home from Montana.

montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
tribouboys

My father purchased his 1930 Tudor from Morrison's junk yard (East Dixfirld Maine) in 1959. The tudor was being used as a dog house at that time. He put the car together and ran it for 20 years as his regular transportation. Illness forced the sale of the car. I purchased the car back in 2000 and continue to enjoy it today.
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Topdownfun

My '28 Tudor--gas tank stamped date of 10-11-28, and assembled in San Francisco, was purchased used in 1930 by a family friend of my dad's. It was his family's only car until 1973, and was driven daily until his arthritis got bad and he parked it in his garage and got a used car with an automatic transmission. For all those years he drove it to work at the Naval Supply Station in Oakland, CA.

In 1977, my dad acquired it from him. Only problem was that we lived in Southeast Missouri. So, we found an enclosed trailer, put the camper on the pickup, and took a week to go to CA and haul it back. It had an old Earl Schieb paint job, J.C. Whitney naugahyde interior, and 19 inch tires but was very solid, all original except for a replacement engine. We put a gallon of gas in it, dropped in a 6v tractor battery we had sitting around, aired up one tire, and it started right up.

My dad enjoyed driving it as a daily driver for several years; it was more fun than the pickup on the country roads around the farm, and it was better than a 2wd pickup in the snow. It was a common scene at the local coffee shop.

After he passed away, it sat in a dusty barn for several years before I got it out and hauled it to New Orleans in the early 90's, where I lived at the time. I completed a cosmetic restoration just in time for my transfer to Austin, TX, where it made the trip in an Allied van.

It now resides in one of my storage units, and doesn't get driven and enjoyed as much as it should--however that's going to change one of these days when I have more time on my hands.

TM
Topdownfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #28
HillbillyTim

My car was made in October of 1929 in Jacksonville FL and sold on November 4, 1929 at Miami Dade Ford to J.M. Tobbit c/o Burdines Inc. Burdines was a department store chain based in Miami Florida. Mr Tobbit paid cash for my car six days after the stock market crashed in '29. After he died his widow loaned it to her nephew who took it to Ohio for four years in the early 1950's. He returned it to Mrs. Tobbit who eventually sold it to Mr. Jameson who owned Ft. Lauderdale Tool and Die Corp.

Mr Jameson did work for Ford and the executives would come to Florida in the winter on "business" trips and he bought the car to have whe n they came to visit. Mr. Jameson moved to the town in Florida where my Dad lives, right around the corner from my Dad.

My Dad is a builder and was taking classes to renew his builders license. Mr. Jameson had hired someone to build an addition to his home and they did not finish the job, stealing $35,000 in the process. He asked my Dad to finish the job which my Dad did. One of the things my Dad learned in his builder's classes was that everytime a building permit is pulled in Florida a percentage of the fee goes to a fund to help people defrauded by dishonest builders. He brought the paperwork to Mr. Jameson to get 80% of his stolen money back from the state. Mr. Jameson told my Dad that he really owed him and Dad asked if he ever sold his Model A that he would like the opportunity to buy it.

About a year later he called my Dad and said that he was ready to sell. Dad called me and I went to Florida and bought the car. That was in 2000 and I've owned her for 12 years. She is a complete numbers matching car. I have the original bill of sale for her and the registrations for the four years she spent in Ohio. I am the third owner of a truly amazing little car. Her name is Moonpie.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4170017.jpg (86.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Moonpie 004.jpg (121.4 KB, 29 views)
HillbillyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
James G.

I found my 1931 Tudor listed in the Baltimore Sun back in early 1994. The owner was selling his A to pay for his daughters last year in college. Shame but good I found it. Withing a few weeks I was at the Maryland DMV with the the title doing a title search. They let you do that back then, now no more

The results listed 12 previous owners, one being a dealership who had it for 2 days. He took it on trade is my guess. This '31 Tudor, I named Miss Minnie, was purchased in SW Baltimore and lived on Bentalou Street until early 1941 when she move two doors to a neighbors house. She was there for another 10 years and then started to move around the northern part of Maryland. Miss Minnie has been a Maryland car all her life. Living with us now she has traveled over 41,000 miles from the Canadian Maritime to Shreveport, LA to Green Bay, WI. I just love Model A windshield time, winter or summer. Miss Minnie has always brought us home! She has never been restored, just well cared for!
James G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
gpits68

my wifes uncle purchased the 1929 open cab truck about 1967 in nelson county,va.it was not running and parked in the woods.he hot rodded it,removing the fenders,shortening the bed,and installing a chrysler hemi.we heard lots of stories about uncle gary and his hot rod.he parked it after a blown engine and it was forgotten about .after he passed away a few years ago,we were able to buy it and have been working toward making it a stock model a again.the two enclosed pictures are how i found it a few years ago and the second picture is it in 1969 with my mother in law in the seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 Model A resting.jpg (111.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Model A 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 55 views)
gpits68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
JimK1930A

I first saw this 1930 Model A Ford Coupe Deluxe in the fall of 2000 at an estate sale in Roseville, Minnesota. It was tucked away in the back of the garage covered with dust and four flat tires. I inquired if that old car was for sale?

The man said he was taking bids and would also interview the bidders to find out their intentions for the car. The son of the original owner was sentimental because his dad had recently died. Due to family issues, he could not keep his dad’s car. During the interview process, I learned about the original owner and the history of his car. I also made a promise to the son that I would not turn it into a hot rod.

My Model A was purchased in Brookings, South Dakota in 1930 by 19-year-old Vernon. His first new car! It was mainly driven to the dairy where he worked in Brookings and also to the town of White, about 17 miles away to visit relatives.

In the early 1940’s Vernon painted his car black, with a brush! If you look up close, you can still see the brush strokes with bristles stuck in the paint. The original factory color was two-toned green with a green pin stripe. The green colors can still be seen near the gas filler, in the trunk and under the hood, on the firewall, inside the door jams, and on the inside dash with green pin stripe. About one inch of green pin stripe still exists under the right cowl light.

The car was last licensed and driven in 1945. To prevent his car from being scrapped for the war effort, he hid the car under a tarp in the back of his parent’s garage. For unknown reasons his car sat in the back of that garage with only 1,979 miles on the odometer until 1971. When Vernon moved to Roseville, he brought his car with him in hope of getting it going again.

In July of 2000, Vernon died. In September, I adopted the car, named it “Vernon”, and got it going again. Inside the car are the original floorboards, mohair upholstery on the seats, rear deck, and door panels. It still has the original kick panels, headliner, and rear window shade too! The dome light doesn’t work, but the wood grained dash panel and windowsills are in excellent condition.

My friend and I rebuilt the engine, transmission, brakes, front and rear axles.
In the trunk, I found brackets, taillights, arrow turn signals, and a radiator cap with an Arrow Meter temperature gauge. I have them all mounted on the car in hope that this is the way Vernon would have wanted it.
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #32
rickmass

I wish i knew the history of my 29 ford pick up;bought from a guy who buy,s them ,an sell,s them.Bought my in 2010 still working on it,hope to drive it this year.Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
DanK

My Grandfather bought my March of 28 Tudor new. He was working as a Ford mechanic at a dealership in a small town in southwest North Dakota and it is the first Model A that dealership sold. When he died, my Grandmother decided it was an old junk car and wanted to sell it so I bought it. I'm getting close to retirement so finishing the restoration will be my first retirement project. (I started the restoration several years ago but back problems had it on hold for quite awhile.)
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Clem Clement

My 30 Cabbie has lost her original heritage. But when we had her reapolstered, there was a card in the door with the name of the guy who rebuilt her in New England in the 60's.

Think about taking the time to write up your cars history and place copes in your car. Under the trunk mat, in the door slipped down past the window, stuffed in the springs of the seat, etc. The next generation might appreicate having what you know.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #35
28Ca8149

I have a 1928 AR and a 1930 165 C .Both of these cars were sold new by Max Zabel our local Ford dealer .they would be made in Regina Saskatewan I bought the AR from Max's mechanic, Bob Johnson in 1955 for $225.It has the original spare tire ,seat covers and top yet with 74500 miles on it. The Fordor Murry has 29000 miles on it .I am the third owner, paid $ 50 in 1970 .It has original Goodyears on it .They have been in side since before I got them .They are Febuary cars .The AR has a honey comb radiator and they both have single plate glass windshields from the factory.
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
Chris in WNC

our first Tudor's history search dead-ended at 1978.
second Tudor no better at 1983.
unrestored Coupe we had history back to new but no names for first 2 owners (I was #6).
third Tudor back to the early 1950s
Town Sedan back to late 1980s.

'37 Plymouth, '35 Chevy and '58 Chevy truck -history known back to new.

when you don't get good history from the seller, it becomes a fun but often frustrating search......

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 02-23-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #37
George Miller

I do not know all the History on my 1928 Sports Coupe, but I do from 1938 on. I first heard about it 1960 when a friend in NG with me got it. I got it in 1999.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #38
eagle

I know a good share of the history of mine. I have corresponded with the widow of the owner from the 50's until 2 years before I bought it. She actually did the upholstery on it, its all wool and still looks great. Was done sometime in the 60's. The car was painted and canvas top replaced in the 50's. They bought it when they lived in Colorado. Was used as a movie car in Hollywood, when they moved to California. She talked about loading up the kids in the Model A and driving to the beach when her husband was working, said it never, not once let her down! Moved with them to New York, then to Minneapolis when they retired. They drove it when they moved, didn't trailer it. He was a medical research doctor. It has step plates with a dealership name on them from Colorado so I imagine that is where it was bought new and stayed until they bought it, early 50's. The history of a car is not important to some but I really enjoyed learning about it. I have some proof pictures from the last movie it was in, "The Spirits of St Paul" filmed in downtown St Paul, MN.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
donQ

My 29 AA ruck was purchased new for use on a farm in Clifton Springs. This truck labored through the depression and WWII. It was used as a back up vehicle after 1953 and then stored in a barn. The owner passed away in 1970 and the car sold to parties in Dansville New York. The truck was partially submerged in hurricane Agnes in 1972. The owner sold it with other flood cars to a party in Webster N.Y where I purchased it. The truck stayed in my barn for over 30 years. I completed restoration in 2013 and gave the daughter of the original owner, now in her 80's a ride in the truck. I am only the second registrant of this vehicle.
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #40
700rpm

The first owner bought my 1929 Tudor off the showroom floor in Portland, where it was assembled on July 17, 1929. He was a farmer who lived in Estacada, about 25 miles out of Portland. In 1953 he parked it in his barn where it stayed until 1961. A local collector bought it in June of 1961, and I convinced him to sell it to me on July 1, 1961. So I am almost the 2nd owner. The car was complete and virtually all original, except for a replacement wiper motor. The most unusual feature of the car was the color of the wheels. They were a deep blue-green. I've never seen any others like them, nor ever read anything about that color. I have regretted many times over the years painting them black, but I was young and ignorant and those things happen when you're like that.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote