Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Midwest Tin

Default Removing Gas Tank Filler Screen

Hi, I am trying to remove a very stubborn 28 gas tank filler screen. I was wondering if anyone has a procedure/tool that works. This an original 28 car that has been sitting for the last 50 years. I am trying to be careful not to damage any of the original paint. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
smurph

Default Re: Removing Gas Tank Filler Screen

I have just removed a very stubborn one from a '29 Coupe. Get the tool from Brattons. It has four tabs which fit into the slots on the rim of the screen. Before trying to unscrew, soak some Kroil around the outer edge of the top rim. Let it work in for 20 minutes or so then screw the screen out. If its still stuck try, try again. It'll come out.
smurph
smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
chuckstinn

I had the same problem on my 28 roadster. When I tried to remove it with the tool from Brattons it wouldn’t budge. Then I decided to turn it in the opposite direction (tighten) and suddenly it moved. After it broke loose it turned easily and I was able to remove it with no problem. May work for you.
chuckstinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
whirnot

Filler screen? I got no filler screen....

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
James Rogers

It is called a spark arrestor. Some screw in and have 4 slots that can be used to remove it with the tool. Some are just dropped in and hang there but can get rusted till they are hard to remove.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Midwest Tin

Thanks for all the inf. Sound like I will have to call Brattons for the tool.
Thanks again. Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Rich in Tucson

The tool from Bratton's has a square hole in its center for a 3/8" ratchet or extension. Works best with the shortest extension you can find that gets you above the rim of the filler neck. I concur with the use of Kroil but carb cleaner or brake cleaner (careful if you care about the paint on the cowl) may help with varnish followed by Kroil and tightening before loosening.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Two types; early cars and late cars had screw in types, and in the middle there are tabs that fit into slots on the top of the tank.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Skibb

Not to ask a dumb question (not hard for me to do). But if Henry wanted the "spark arrestor" in the fuel tank, on removal why aren't they replaced with a new ones or reconditioned if serviceable.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Not to ask a dumb question (not hard for me to do). But if Henry wanted the "spark arrestor" in the fuel tank, on removal why aren't they replaced with a new ones or reconditioned if serviceable.
I cleaned and replaced mine. While filling the tank, it does slow the flow, but not too bad.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
You would have to ask the person who removed it why they did not put it back.

My guess is that thought it was just a screen to keep out junk and never knew it was a spark/flame arrestor.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
smurph

Hey Midwest Tin,
It just occurred to me that when your gas tank screen comes out it will be pretty rusty and "yucky". I had very good luck by putting the screen in EvapoRust overnight. It cleaned up very well and looks like new.
smurph
smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Keith True

I can't fill up in town any more with a screen in the tank.At a couple of the stations the head pressure at the nozzle is so much that when you pull the trigger gas will shoot up and splash against the bottom of the visor.There is no feathering,the trigger has a hard initial pull,and starts with a big gush.The other stations just click off automaticy,and the ones with the bellows are the worst.When I was in high school I worked at the American station in town,we couldn't fill up A's with the screens back then.The new nozzles were just too sensitive,all you could get was a click and that was it.We had a big funnel we used on the A's and anything with an obstruction in the filler hole.B&G Dispenser,(they sell and service gas pumps)told us that the old problem of static electricity while filling is completely eliminated on modern pumps.He told us also that it was a very real problem with the old pumps,pre-1950 or so.He said there is more chance of a fire from somebody filling a tank with a cell phone in their hand than from the old static electricity problem.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Glenn C.

I have to agree with Keith True on this one....Most fueling hoses today have a wire imbedded into the rubber of the hose that is bonded at each end fitting that is either threaded into the non-sparking nozzle, and the outlet connection of the pump. The total fueling pump, inclusive of the internal piping are well grounded. Lets look at it this way, do modern type vehicles use flame arrester screens ? Is it possible for a arc to occur from the grounded fueling hose at the immediate instant the nozzle comes in contact with the gas tank connection ?
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
sjessen

Just can't believe all the great stuff a guy can learn about the A's by reading these posts. My '30 coup doesn’t have the screen, and up to now, I always thought I needed to install one.
sjessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
johnsor

I had to destructively remove mine. Too much splashing fuel onto the nice cowl paint. Most all stations now have filters on their pump hoses. The fuel may be crap (ethanol) but I think it's clean.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Bob/Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Filler screen? I got no filler screen....
I don't got to show you no stinkin' filler screen....
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

johnsor, that screen is not a strainer/filter. It is a spark arrestor. The idea was that if a spark ignited gas fumes while the cap was off, the screen prevented the fuel inside the tank from igniting. Believe it or not, they actually worked.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
johnsor, that screen is not a strainer/filter. It is a spark arrestor. The idea was that if a spark ignited gas fumes while the cap was off, the screen prevented the fuel inside the tank from igniting. Believe it or not, they actually worked.

We have talked about this before;
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46107

The Blis gas container company shut it doors due to liability suit steming from not having flame resistors on there cans that caused several fires and personal injury. Check the net and you will see several law firms that are asking for cases where an individual has been harmed by exploding gas cans.

I like mine in place, do what you want to your car but maybe keep the address of one of the lawyers with you just in case.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

One Recent Single Experience Last Week:

"Some" (at least mine), newly advertised gas tank strainers, corrode easily after about a year or so, & form a coating/residue that is gray/white in color looking similar in color to corrosion on battery terminals. (Also small spots of rust).

These new strainers are advertised as "28-31 without tabs", with screens looking like shiny aluminum or stainless steel, as opposed to the color of copper or brass.

The screen's interior & exterior surfaces acquire a corroded appearance & screen holes get partially clogged with the same type of corrosion which falls out into one's Model A gas tank when one adds gas to the tank.

Later one can find that these corrosion particles can clog the shut-off valve to make one's car starve for fuel & even quit running; & corrosion particles can also be found in the sediment bowl.

The corrosion & small rust spots can be cleaned off of the interior & exterior of the screen with a small steel or brass brush until one sees shiny metal again.

Hope this information helps just in case one has installed a similar new screen lately which can easily corrodes & plug gas lines.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote