Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
Shoebox

Default Egge Piston Ring Set

So I was taking a closer look at some Egge 3 ring pistons from Speedway. The ring grooves are 5/64" for the top two and 3/16" for bottom. They look good and price is OK. When I look for rings I find Speedway has none, and elsewhere no go as well, back ordered. I call Egge and spoke with a good guy named Lionel who at first was challenged to find correct rings for their piston, but did determine that a Hastings number, for a 4 cyl tractor had the exact specs, would need two sets, one of which would need to be ordered. All of this adds up to a cost withing spitting distance of a set of Ross pistons w/rings, etc. which are in stock and ready to ship. Just kinda looking for any comments. Thanks guys.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Egge Piston Ring Set

I think things in the supply chain will need time to work out notwithstanding the new disruptions going on right now.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

I like the Egge pistons for a street engine, as they can run with a tighter clearance. I run them at .002" for years with no trouble. They also make 3 5/16 +.020/.030 size for clean up in older engines. Unfortunately, their price has risen and the rings are hard to get, At one time they were included with the pistons. Now we could go to Ross for not much more, but this is a racing piston, and runs a larger clearance of .005" I'd like to run less but not if the will bind up when HOT. A new piston is available now he Maule @ $650 a set and comes with rings 1mm,1mm,3mm. Not sure what sizes are available yet
These pistons are made from a different material and can be fit at .0015/.002
I think this could replace both the EGGe and Ross pistons. Something to look into
Get the facts man!
Gramps
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I think things in the supply chain will need time to work out notwithstanding the new disruptions going on right now.

I'm sure you're absolutely correct, you see this shortage/back order thing all over. Am hoping to get some ARP cyl head studs, they're saying maybe late April.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 03-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I like the Egge pistons for a street engine, as they can run with a tighter clearance. I run them at .002" for years with no trouble. They also make 3 5/16 +.020/.030 size for clean up in older engines. Unfortunately, their price has risen and the rings are hard to get, At one time they were included with the pistons. Now we could go to Ross for not much more, but this is a racing piston, and runs a larger clearance of .005" I'd like to run less but not if the will bind up when HOT. A new piston is available now he Maule @ $650 a set and comes with rings 1mm,1mm,3mm. Not sure what sizes are available yet
These pistons are made from a different material and can be fit at .0015/.002
I think this could replace both the EGGe and Ross pistons. Something to look into
Get the facts man!

Gramps

Ron,
I always appreciate your responses and what you say is so true! I am striving to get the facts, however I have a closing window of time to get with a flathead knowledgeable machinist this spring, ....so I need to get the PARTS man!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 03-14-2022, 07:46 PM   #6
Pete

One thing for sure, you will get more horsepower with Mahle or Ross pistons and narrow ring sets.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

Thanks Pete, I guess I spelt the name wrong. Have to get a list of sizes they offer.
Ron
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Pete,

Have you ever used Wiseco pistons? I looked into them before ordering the Ross set. I think KiwiTony has used or recommended Mahle pistons before.

Wiseco seems to use a "cut away" (actual term??) skirt design that is coated with an antifriction material on the skirts. Wiseco was the go to name when racing 2 stroke dirt bikes back in the day.

Shoebox,

Piston rings seem to be a highly contested topic here. I'm of the mindset to try and use as much modern technology as possible. Cast rings have their place, but when starting new and using a torque plate to get the bores are round as possible, I can't see any reason why not to use modern metric rings.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-15-2022 at 06:56 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Pete,

Have you ever used Wiseco pistons? I looked into them before ordering the Ross set. I think KiwiTony has used or recommended Mahle pistons before.

Wiseco seems to use a "cut away" (actual term??) skirt design that is coated with an antifriction material on the skirts. Wiseco was the go to name when racing 2 stroke dirt bikes back in the day.
Yes, we used them a couple times in SBC's. They worked fine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #10
fifty-one f-1

Shoebox, If this helps I have been talking to a person named John (sorry I don't know his last name) when I call Egge, He has always been a big help. If you get into a jam with your machinist, let me know I have a good one in the twin cities area, he is working on my block right now.
fifty-one f-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty-one f-1 View Post
Shoebox, If this helps I have been talking to a person named John (sorry I don't know his last name) when I call Egge, He has always been a big help. If you get into a jam with your machinist, let me know I have a good one in the twin cities area, he is working on my block right now.

Thanks fifty-one, nice to hear from someone "closer to home".

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar