Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #21
Del in NE Ohio

Default Re: Need RX for Hill Climbing

Almost home from the Blue Ridge Tour. Completed with no problem other than some anxiety attacks when the rain/fog got bad at 5,000'. If your "A" has a less than obvious weekness, the Parkway will expose it. My Mitchell gear splitter made it a breeze (rain and fog notwithstanding)
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Franklin, that has to be it !

Duffy my new brakes w cast iron drums were giving off a burning smell as well as a bad bad fade. Went to second gear then first, down we went like a rocket. New trans needed?

Now the hill looked almost vertical and seemed to rrun on for a couple of miles (route 52) thru short switch backs. Must need a stronger trans. Amazingly, we got down w/o damage.

From the above info I would say that maybe the clutch was burned in addition to the overheated brakes if 2nd gear and 1st failed to slow the car the clutch must have been really hot and the lining burned.

I learned 50 years ago that if approaching a steep grade with switchbacks it is always better to down shift BEFORE the grade or use what brakes you have left to slow enough to downshift BEFORE the speed gets too high and use the engine to slow the car.

One serious problem in downshifting is that it MUST happen quickly while using the brakes to keep the speed down ... not an easy thing to do!

Also in this situation you must have the 3rd to 2nd double clutching technique well learned, as you might only get one chance to get into 2nd gear before the speed makes it impossible.

Maybe riding the clutch or slipping to get started with 3.54s over heated the clutch then when you got to the downhills the clutch was toast and would not hold back the speed.

Someone in charge of the tour should have warned new folks about this (new to mountain driving that is).

Last edited by Benson; 05-12-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
larrys40

Skibb,
I was on the tour and just returned home. I hate to see that you left the tour... as it was a great time... yes even though the weather was poor we had an awesome time and was still the trip of a lifetime! Yes, mountain driving is much different than flat land driving.
It sounds like some of the problems may be the car with some issues.. and also it is probable you need some more time familiar with the car... double clutching to down shift ( I mean real double clutching matching road speed to engine speed, not pressing the clutch pedal in twice)....and definately the mountain driving is different than flat land driving. It takes some getting use to, practice... on how to handle the hills and familiarity with the feel of the car.

Like the term "restoration", it comes in many varieties... a properly restored brake job is extremely comprehensive on a Model A, bushings, shafts, levers, pins, shoes, religned shoes arced to drums, drums correct and right, shoe centering, and correct adjustment and break in is all critical. In my years of experience and many brake jobs done... it takes about 500 miles + before I would call them broke in.. and in the process about 3 rounds of checking and adjustments. In fact.. when I do a full brake job for my customers I tell them they have brake adjustments for life... as I would rather no one else touch them and get them out of wack.... sometimes a half turn on a rod makes the difference.... or a wedge one or two notches... Well dialed in /broke in brakes can stop on a dime and screach to a stop.

I would expect your transmission is probably fine... a good model a trans will do the job great... just learn how to double clutch and down shift smoothly... that helps in driving the car tremendously. I do run an overdrive ( ryan made back in the 80's) and it is great. I also run a 3.54 rear with a stock babbitted engine and a snyder 5.5 head. It's a .030 overbore and does great but admittedly my old .125 over engine had more power. I like the larger bores personally. Mine did very well on the Blue ridge tour and the Smokey mountains. I find the 3.54 a good rear for them and the overdrive gearing there when needed. You essentially have 6 forward speeds and I used 2nd high quite a bit when needed. Side note: When I put the overdrive in back in the '80's I already had the 3:54 in... I decided to leave it and try it knowing I could revert back to the 3:78... I liked it and have kept it all these years. Yes, I probably have to shift sooner than most.. but who cares.... It's a great highway cruiser when I need it.)

Someone up above mentioned you may need another "professional"... possible true.. So I would recommend you get hooked up with the best in your area if possible and get the problems ironed out. The Model A is a well performing car when everything is good in just about all terrains, from flatland driving to mountains. Although.. don't expect it to be a modern car either.... be patient, listen to it run and take some time to get more familiar with it after your issues are corrected.

Hopefully the next time things will be better. Remember, with all the experiences a bad one or two can occure as well... don't let that discourage you. Get things on track for next time.. good luck from the Show Me State!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I would also echo Brent's sentiments. If you think this trip is scary in an A with decent or marginal brakes and a stock motor, try it in a T with 20 HP and less than marginal brakes compared to an A. We do it all the time and have done trips to Rochester,Mn and Rutland,VT where one hill was about 1/2-3/4 mile that I would hesitate to go down in a modern and trust the brakes but we did it in our T's. We also did a trip through the Badlands of SD of 180 miles just for a lark.
My friend Richard and I started on the brakes today. It would take a small book to describe what we got done and plan to do next (all stock). The "new brakes" were installed as was the rebuilt motor but not to factory specs. The fun of it, is discovering the problems and fixing them. I'll post a pic on the 15 degree thing. Bet you are wondering what that means !
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
rosenkranswa

We completed all 470 miles of the BRP in a completely stock 1930 Town Sedan. Newly rebuilt stock engine (a year ago), stock rearend but I don't know the ratio, and a stock brake setup I've adjusted myself. Was able to pull all the hills in 3rd gear at about 30, and compression brake most of the downgrades just touching the brakes occasionally. Only time we had to drop down to 2nd was climbing back up to the Parkway from the D-day memorial and again after a gas stop. A stock A in good condition can definately do the Parkway.

Yeah it was foggy and rainy (yea for Rain-X), but there were some fantastic views when the fog cleared enough - we had a blast. I kept thinking though, not sure I'd want to do some portions in a Model T Brent....

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Richard Wilson

Thank you rosenkranswa for confirming my post #16. My opinion is that the BRP is a very easy drive for a stock Model A.

" Was able to pull all the hills in 3rd gear at about 30, and compression brake most of the downgrades just touching the brakes occasionally." quote
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote