Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
fixitphil

Default Engine Serial Numbers as VIN

First time Post: My A has used the engine number as the VIN. If I change engines what happens to the VIN?
fixitphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
95GOOSE

Default Re: Engine Serial Numbers as VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitphil View Post
First time Post: My A has used the engine number as the VIN. If I change engines what happens to the VIN?
I'd like to know this as well.
95GOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Joe K

Solutions to this have varied. Some grind down the pad and re-stamp the old numbers. Some attempt to raise the body and get officialdom to accept the frame number as the VID ("VID Confirmation" its called here in Cow Hampshire and they send an officer to your house.)

Some make an aluminum plate showing the removed engine number (similar to VID attachments found below the windshield on modern cars) and attach it with pop rivets just below the "Ford Motor Company" plate on the firewall.

The chassis number is probably the hardest to do and the least likely to stick officially. Its not like the number can be confirmed at any sale or transaction - or even a car accident/insurance claim.

I would give the pop rivet plate a try. You don't have to say you put the plate there yourself. Or that it even matches the chassis number (MANY Model As are on their second or third engines and officialdom didn't pay that much attention until car title became an issue. )

Here in Cow Hampshire I still use the chassis number and have a blank engine - but I have not sold the car or had an accident with it.

Joe K
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
KGBnut

That answer can vary greatly by state. Including your location (even a general location) would help get you better answers.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
ursus

Some have stamped the engine number on the visible surface of the drivers side engine mount, where it and the engine number can be easily viewed by lifting the hood on that side. This is close enough to the frame location to satisfy the inspection and avoids having to lift the body.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
henry's 31

In Georgia you have to fill a form with the Vin Number and you take it to the local DMV to make the change effective. But like stated above, every state is different.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry's 31 View Post
In Georgia you have to fill a form with the Vin Number and you take it to the local DMV to make the change effective. But like stated above, every state is different.
YES, Henry, every state has different sized "HOOPS" to jump through, if you're "FAT", you might not make it
Bill Skinny
Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I would use a temporary engine while I rebuild the original engine to reinstall.
If the original block is total junk, then the new block would get the same number as the junk block.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I would use a temporary engine while I rebuild the original engine to reinstall.
If the original block is total junk, then the new block would get the same number as the junk block.
I have saved my original junk block just in case anybody ever questions the provenance of the number. It works well as a doorstop for the barn and it is unlikely to be stolen.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I have saved my original junk block just in case anybody ever questions the provenance of the number. It works well as a doorstop for the barn and it is unlikely to be stolen.
Ursus,

Best answer I've heard yet!

Another solution would be to buy one of Tod's new blocks and stamp the old number on the new block.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
fordcragar

Years ago when I brought a car in from out out state, the Washington State Patrolman noted the VIN was the engine number. Then he told me to see if I could find a number on the frame, bring the car back in and they would change the VIN to that number. After that he said if I couldn't find a number anywhere, that they would assign a VIN number to the frame.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #12
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
Years ago when I brought a car in from out out state, the Washington State Patrolman noted the VIN was the engine number. Then he told me to see if I could find a number on the frame, bring the car back in and they would change the VIN to that number. After that he said if I couldn't find a number anywhere, that they would assign a VIN number to the frame.
When I brought this car into the state, the VIN number on the engine was a number LB123XXX; which didn't look like any normal Model A VIN. Someone told me it was probably a remanufactured engine out of the Long Beach California plant. The people that I bought it from bought the car in the late 1930's.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
In all states altering any manufacturers identification number is a felony.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
In all states altering any manufacturers identification number is a felony.
Yup, does it keep people from doing it, no buts it's illegal.

Think about this, you buy a numbers matching car in a state that no longer requires a title. You spend years restoring the vehicle but unbeknownst to you the guy you bought the car from found the old title and sold it on ebay. The guy that bought the title used it to register a car he built. You finish the car jump through all the hoops to title it in your state only to find the number is already in use. Do you think the officials might look at you as trying to defraud them by trying to use a vin that is already in use?

How about this one. Someone gets into a car accident. The car is totaled. They buy the same make, model, and year car and swap out the vin tag. Legal or not? Who are they hurting by making the new car have the same vin as the damaged car.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Joe K

In Cow Hampshire one does not need a title to sell or register a car WITHIN STATE more than 10 years old.

My 1930 AA Chassis (with 26K original miles) was sold to a buyer in Texas - and part of the deal was I would provide a NH Title for it - which would speed immeasurably his getting a replacement title in Texas.

Getting a replacement title in New Hampshire is a simple matter of filling out a form - waiting for up to six weeks for a title search to be done based on your submitted VID, and then having an officer of the court (local Police Officer) "verify" the VID.

She called (woman officer) looking for an appointment to do the verification. "Come on over now if you want" I said. A cruiser backed into my driveway a few minutes later.

She was very thorough. She did ask me where the number was located. "Every antique car is different" she confessed. At my suggestion she looked at both the engine number AND the frame number (which were identical) using a drop light held at different angles. The numbers I would consider "better than average" based on how they appeared. She did ask me what I considered to be the number based on what I saw. I think she was verifying both her eyes AND mine lest there be any disagreement which might hold up paperwork. I suggested a "rubbing" of the engine number just to be sure - which I did for her. We both read the engine rubbing to the same number conclusion.

And that engine number became the number. A few weeks later I had the NH replacement title which I forwarded to the buyer in Texas (and got my $150 withheld from the price as that is what he thought it would cost him to process a Texas replacement title.)

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 06-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
ronn

well Joe,
we arent all as lucky as you folks in NH.

you have one of the easiest titling states in the nation.

cant do what you suggest in about 45 of the other states.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Based on what California used to do I would expect that the DMV would want to place a VIN tag of their own on the door jam (and a couple of places on the frame). Call your DMV and ask them. Long ago you just filled out a form at DMV changing to the new number. There is probably an easy way to accomplish what you want and taking short cuts will just get you, or the next owner, in trouble.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
aermotor

As I have posted before, any time you have a body off and can verify the frame number and it matches the engine number (or not) call for a VIN inspector to get a letter of verification - which was free in SC. Get a new VIN verification if you change the engine.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Barry B./ Ma.

The engine number became the VIN when the engine was placed in the frame and that should always be the VIN for that car even if the engine has been replaced at least that's how I see it. I go by the frame number and that should be on the engine pad and if it isn't it should be restamped on the engine.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
The engine number became the VIN when the engine was placed in the frame and that should always be the VIN for that car even if the engine has been replaced at least that's how I see it. I go by the frame number and that should be on the engine pad and if it isn't it should be restamped on the engine.
What happens if you have a frame number that is from a different year than the body style you have? It is possible to have a 1931 body on a 1928 frame. My first Model A was assembled from parts in the early 60's. When presented with a 1931 body on a 1928 frame powered by a 1930 numbered engine, the Oregon DMV looked up the only visible number in a binder they had and titled the car as a 1930. For some reason, they weren't interested in the frame number even though I told them that it didn't match. I doubt that would happen nowadays. That car is still running around, and a series of owners have added and subtracted parts with the result that it appears to be a 1930 Model-A until you start poking around.