Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
stallerl

Default Door Glass Size Confusion!

I'm replacing the door glass and channels on my '29 Tudor and have a questions for the experts. The Service Bulletin Book on page 250 indicates that the glass size is 25 7/16 - 25 1/2" width and 19 9/16 and 19 7/8" in height. The glass I removed from the car, which is plate glass, measures
26 7/8" width and 16 3/8" in height. I measured the new channel I installed and it measures the same width of the glass I removed, approx 26 7/8".
If I was to have safety glass cut to the sizes noted in the Service Bulletins Book they would be way to small and flop around in the channels.
Was the original channel thicker then the repo channel hence the smaller glass? What's up with the different sizes? Before I have new glass cut I'm planning to trial fit the glass I removed. If it fits without any binding or being to loose I'll have the glass cut to the same size as what I'm replacing. I'm just curious what's up with the different sizes...? Thanks
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Craig Lewis

Default Re: Door Glass Size Confusion!

Yes that's a Service bulletins mistake which has caught a few people.
The correct size off my NAGS chart is 26 3/4 x 16 1/8.
If your original works well and you're keeping the same runs I'd keep the size exactly as is.

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 03-05-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
stallerl

I've already replaced the channel runs with reproduction pieces that seem to fit well and look good. I tried my existing glass in the channels and it seems to be a bit tight when moving the window by hand, no regulator. I'm wondering if I should have the glass cut to the dimensions you provided as it might fit a bit looser and not bind. Makes sense to me. Any opinions or comments?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallerl View Post
I've already replaced the channel runs with reproduction pieces that seem to fit well and look good. I tried my existing glass in the channels and it seems to be a bit tight when moving the window by hand, no regulator. I'm wondering if I should have the glass cut to the dimensions you provided as it might fit a bit looser and not bind. Makes sense to me. Any opinions or comments?
Too loose is as bad as too tight!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
stallerl

Yup, I know. Too loose will cause the glass to cock to one side and bind. If it's too loose I guess one can shim the channel so it tightens the fit a bit.
The glass I have is tight in the new channels. The glass is 26 7/8" in width. I'm thinking if the new glass was cut to what the NAGS says, 26 3/4" that might just be what I need for the window to operate as it should.???
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Craig Lewis

Nags has been the bible of the auto glass industry since before the thirties. To this day they issue seasonal parts/specs catologs which define a part number and size listing to virtually every piece of auto glass made.
I used the same chart to order my tempered coupe glass. It even has a pencil polished edge so you can't tell it apart from original plate
...sorry this page isn't clearer.
Jan 1992 Restorer features this same list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCE02022011_00000-1.jpg (56.6 KB, 77 views)
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
stallerl

I'm going over to a glass shop that does many 'old' cars. Chances are very good that they have done other Model A's in the past. I'll see what they have to say about the proper size and go from there. If only the car was running I could drive it over and have them measure and install the glass. Oh wait, this is part of the fun of owning an old car, isn't it? Yup, it is!