Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
kwisor

Default fender spare tire well

hello
i have a 1930 tudor and was thinking of putting a lt fender spare tire well on it. what are the pro's and con's dose the door hit the tire when opening it and is this hard to put a well in a non well fender? i have done body work before as a living but do not want to mess up a good fender
thank you
kevin
1930 tudor model a
1923 model t roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: fender spare tire well

The spare will limit the door opening and be in the way of working on the engine, plus it will cost money to make the change. Side mounts look good on some cars, but I'm glad my Phaeton and Tudor have only the rear spare. My 31 Town Sedan has a right hand spare, so at least it's not on the driver's side. I still wish it was just a rear spare though.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Richard Wilson

More involved than you might think at first. In addition to cutting, fitting and welding the well into fender in correct place, you need to find a spare tire mount arm and base that has to be rivited to the frame, and the running board apron has to be drilled in the right place, reworked fender and splash apron will have to be repainted, the new paint will probably not match the paint shade or finish on the other fenders so all of the fenders and aprons will have to be repainted, and to do a proper repaint of all the black pieces they will have to be removed, and to remove the splash aprons the body has to be lifted off the frame, and to remove the front fenders the head light bar has to be removed, and on and on. If I wanted a side mount I would just buy a Model A that had one already installed.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
kwisor

right now i have the body off to fix and repant so if i did this now would be the time
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
SDJason

Wow - really doesn't sound worth it!

I'm in the same boat as kwisor (except a Town Sedan), and am really getting tired of having to store stuff piled up in the rear compartment. The luggage rack that came with the car blocked access to the spare (impossible to reach some lug nuts), and (IMO) looked ugly sticking out so far - taking that off was one of the first things I did.

Maybe something like a Kari Keen (with a spare mounted on the back of the trunk)? Does anybody make something like that nowadays?
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
George Miller

My 28 sports coupe has two fender well spares. I hate them, but my car has had them from new. So there is no way that I'm going to take them off. I have to lock the doors so people can not open the doors, and bounce them off the spare tires. The doors on 28 and 29 coupes will not open very far with the mounts on.

I'm build a 30 pickup it will not have a side mount.

Not a fan of side mounts and rumba seats.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

I have dual side mounts on my 31, have no trouble with the doors hitting the tires and no problem working under the hood. Maybe it's just me.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
spike

I have four model A,s and all 4 have two side mounts...vicky-30 sport coupe and two delux deliverys....dont see your complants...they work just fine for me. trunks on the back lolok a lot better with no spare and you can ajust the door stop for the side mount, but it will cost you more money to have it that way. To each his own...if you got it spend it.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
I have four model A,s and all 4 have two side mounts...vicky-30 sport coupe and two delux deliverys....dont see your complants...they work just fine for me. trunks on the back lolok a lot better with no spare and you can ajust the door stop for the side mount, but it will cost you more money to have it that way. To each his own...if you got it spend it.
I can see you do not have a 28-29 coupe. They are much different than a 30 model. I have had both. The doors on a 30 model will open much wider.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
John LaVoy

When I did the phaeton I thought side mounts were the way to go. Because of the restrictions to getting into the car and maintance on the engine I changed my mind and kept the spare on the rear when I did the sedan. The roadster pickup had to have the fender mounted spare but I can notice the difference between it and the sedan when I am getting in and out.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
antiquepa

I Put the wells in my 31 roadster, I have no problems working on the engine or the doors hitting the tires, it took a couple of days to do both wells, if you buy the wells from snyders or other company usually the instructions come with it. I did not have to drill the holes on my frame for the spare tire mounts, the holes were already there.[1931 delux roadster] If you can do body work and have a mig welder you can do the job yourself. Im not disappointed in mine, its all a matter of peference.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
CarlG

A guy in our club wanted to trade me a RH welled fender for the standard RH fender I have so that I could have dual side mounts on my PU. My comment was: I really don't like the LH spare I have now, just no where else to put my spare!

My preference on anything but a PU would be the rear mounted spare.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Better weight distribution with the rear spare.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
RockHillWill

Hey, Don.

I really like the fixture, and it looks like the fender well turns out really nice as well. Thanks for posting the picture.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
jw hash

Don
nice fixture it has to cut the time almost in half installing a well. I want one.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote