Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Hub Caps Installation

When you install hub caps, how do you get a good bend on the tabs? I reached in with a long screw driver and tapped them over using a ball-pen hammer. ..... Seem like a lousy way to do this job. Do they make a tool for this?

Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Hub Caps Installation

Good morning Dave.
I had the same problem and could not get them tight enough. I tried the 'o' rings with no success. One old A "mechanic" told me to "silly-cone 'em on" (which I declined to do).
I finally broke down and bought the "Hub Cap Tool" from Mike's http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/T1130.html Kind of expensive but when you consider the price of replacement hub caps (I replaced two) and possibly repainting your wheels from the hub caps wobbling around and rubbing off the paint, the price isn't so bad.
I couldn't be happier. I now have five tight fitting hub caps on my car and two more I repaired. Plus I have repaired the hub caps on a couple of friends A's. I can now pop them off and reinstall them any time I need to without worry (which shouldn't be very often).

I know there are a few guys on here that say the tool isn't needed because THEY can bend the tabs correctly but I could never get the hub caps tight enough (to my satisfaction).

Not to high-jack this thread but is there a difference in hub caps? I bought a replacement hub cap from Bratton's and it isn't a tall as my other hub caps. It doesn't stick out from wheel as far as the others (Beside being dented and scratched when received, thanks Bratton's).

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
dlfrisch

Thanks for the return note.
Like I said, I got a long older flat blade screwdriver and got them over (only needed to work on one rim). Speaking of paining the rim, I got a perfect color match from Lowes yesterday. I took a rim right in and they matched it with gloss enamel. I think they, us A people, call it straw yellow.

Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
only needed to work on one rim

Dave
Yea, might be a little expensive for one cap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrisch View Post
I got a perfect color match from Lowes yesterday. I took a rim right in and they matched it with gloss enamel. I think they, us A people, call it straw yellow.

Dave
That's good info to know.

What do they, Lowes people, call it?? haha!! Actually is there a code on your custom mix tag... so they, us A people don't need to carry a wheel in??

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 09-14-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Arlen

I do it the same way you do it Dave. Long screw driver. Then I put a dab of silicone on each tap.