Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
aussiesteve

Default Weber cam specs

I just got a flathead with a Weber F1 cam in it.
Does anyone have the cam specs?
I,m curious if this is a good street cam
Thanks
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Weber cam specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
I just got a flathead with a Weber F1 cam in it.
Does anyone have the cam specs?
I,m curious if this is a good street cam
Thanks

I have a Weber F-1 cam in my 59AB engine.. The engine has a Offy Super manifold with 2- 97's, heads are stock reworked to achieve 9.1 compression, over bored .60k. Harmon Collins ignition, lightened cast iron flywheel, 2" twice pipes on stock '36 manifolds with stock type chambered mufflers.

The engine was originally built in 1954, rebuilt in 1960. The intent was normal daily driving and some street racing.
The engine has always ran very well, a little lumpy on the idle, just enough to let people know it is not stock.
Some place I have the spec sheet for the cam..
Old 10-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
V8 Bob

The specs I have for the Weber F-1 are:

Intake opens 22 BTC, closes 62 ABC.
Exhaust opens 66 BBC, closes 18 ATC.
Lift is .312".
Intake clearance .012", exhaust .013".
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
aussiesteve

Thanks for the info.
I just got the engine apart this morning
The next step is to get everything clean and checked
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

It's a very mild cam. How did you get 9.2 compression from a .060 over bore and reworked stock heads? what did they do to them?
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
blucar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
It's a very mild cam. How did you get 9.2 compression from a .060 over bore and reworked stock heads? what did they do to them?

The machinist that rebuilt the engine in 1960 specialized in engines for the stock car racers which was a big deal at the time. I had Offy heads on the engine which were pretty well used up so it was suggested to me to redo stock 59AB heads. As I recall the terms used to describe what was done to the heads was to mill, dome and fly-cut the heads to achieve a compression ratio at or near 9 to 1.. As to what the actual compression ratio is, I was going by what I was told by the machinist in 1960.
I know that the engine runs just fine on 89 oct. fuel.

The original build of the engine utilized an aluminum flywheel which reputedly had a hardened face.. Nada.. The face of the flywheel was badly grooved so the machinist milled a stock flywheel down to the weight he wanted, can't remember what that weight was.
I have plans to pull the engine out of the '36 and have H & H in the LA area go through it, when that is done I will find out exactly what has been done to the engine in the past.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

Sportsman engines of the 60's were usually 258 ci engines and to was hard to 8:1 CR in them with stock heads. However, some guys filled the combustion chambers with brass, to increase the CR. A 276 with the 65 cc heads have aprox. 8.5. Do you have any idea how big the engine is? I'm interested in finding someone that does this,
Old 10-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
blucar

Quote:
Sportsman engines of the 60's were usually 258 ci engines and to was hard to 8:1 CR in them with stock heads. However, some guys filled the combustion chambers with brass, to increase the CR. A 276 with the 65 cc heads have aprox. 8.5. Do you have any idea how big the engine is? I'm interested in finding someone that does this,

Ol'Ron, I have no idea what the CID of my engine is. When it was originally built in 1954 by a machinist in Salt Lake City it was over-bored .40 with three ring Jahns pistons on stock rods/crank. As I recall the block was not ported/relieved, the ports were polished to clean them up and improve the air flow, which I know is important on the flat-heads.
I am not really sure just what the term, "milled, domed and flycut" pertains to, to rework stock heads, I just know that the term was bantered around a lot during the mid to late '50's.
I could be mistaken about what the CR of the reworked heads actually is, I seem to recall that the 9.1 range was about the max for a street engine. The Offy heads that were originally on the engine had a CR in the high 8/s, however, the engine overheated pulling the Baker Grade between California/Nev which warped one of them, causing the head gasket to blow. I got the car into Vegas, by using two head gaskets and a half of a can of Permatex gasket sealer. I pulled the heads and had them surfaced, from that time on the engine would only run on premium fuel.
The passage of time has eliminated everyone except for me, that had anything to do with the engine.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Old memories are great, sometimes I live back in the 50's and 60's. Not sure if it was better back then, but it sure seems like it. Your engine has 245ci which is pretty small. .060 would be 248 and 125 over is 258. This was for the old sportsman rules. However back then very few of us could afford to have an engine rebuilt so we ran what we had. Very rare if we won anything, but the pure pleasure of driving in one of the races was worth all the money in the world. Today a stock rebuild is over 4k$ but a rebuild Sears engine bacl\k in the 50 was 135$, Something iz wrong with these numbers??
Old 10-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Old memories are great, sometimes I live back in the 50's and 60's. Not sure if it was better back then, but it sure seems like it. Your engine has 245ci which is pretty small. .060 would be 248 and 125 over is 258. This was for the old sportsman rules. However back then very few of us could afford to have an engine rebuilt so we ran what we had. Very rare if we won anything, but the pure pleasure of driving in one of the races was worth all the money in the world. Today a stock rebuild is over 4k$ but a rebuild Sears engine bacl\k in the 50 was 135$, Something iz wrong with these numbers??
Today, you'll never spend so much to go so slow. Still fun as hell though!
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
revkev6

Quote:

hey, running that 36 vintage stock car is pretty damn fun with the warmed up 8ba in it. felt pretty racy out there the last time I ran it up in monadnock. i'm used to running much faster cars and that thing FELT quick... until I watched one of the videos my wife took
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

I'm building a 27 "T" track roadster, with a wormed over flathead. Would like to run it at Loudon NH. Hope to run a 100 mph lap. Unfortunately I won't be the driver, don't see so well any more. Don't really care who drives it so long ad their careful, don't want anybody to get hurt.