Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
djuby1

Default Condenser Replacement

Has anybody heard of a A.L. Burn Proof Condensor? I have found all kinds of technical info. on this part but have not been able to locate them from any local vendors. Would appreciate it if somebody might know where these can be purchased at.

dav
djuby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Condenser Replacement

Go direct to A&L parts specialty Connecticut
Old 08-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
31Tudor

I think most of the main suppliers carry that condenser. Brattons main condenser says burn proof in the description. I think the others carry that one also.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

I have been using the same one for over 30 years, the first ones A&L made the strap was soldered on, I melted the solder off--- with red hot exhaust manifold,but the condenser still works--- so I have tried to burn it out, I was buying then at the A&L booth at Hershey
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
Dutie

Kurt, My solder on the condenser melted also. Had too much time one day and decided to get creative. Worked for me and was much cooler being so close to the manifold. Also did the carb area, now I can hold it and its not near as hot. Good luck and be creative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1308.jpg (71.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1311.jpg (56.2 KB, 162 views)
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
SSsssteamer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had a run of bad condensers. With a heater manifold in the way, it was a nuisance, so I have since mounted the new condensers from the coil on the firewall. It didn't seem to affect their performance at all. No more heat problems for the condenser either.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I run the condenser that is used with the V 8 points . I mount the condenser to the coil bracket and connect the wire to the switch side of the coil . There is NO need to have a condenser in the distributor with this setup . This setup gets the condenser out of the worse heat where it can get some air to assist cooling of the part . I once posted pictures here of this setup on my September 29 . I had a few to tell me that it would not work ! One of the people was an electrical engineer that showed how little he actually knew . Good USA condensers can be ordered or bought from NAPA . Most model A vendors also carry the V-8 condensers to be used on the model A . I have always thought that having the condenser mounted on the coil bracket or the firewall with the red wire connected to the switch side of the coil is best . I feel that this setup is FAR better than using V-8 points and condenser mounted on the upper distributor plate . The condenser is easy to get to for removal and replacement and the original easy to adjust points can still be used .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-19-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #8
Ford Acar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I run the condenser that is used with the V 8 points . I mount the condenser to the coil bracket and connect the wire to the switch side of the coil . There is NO need to have a condenser in the distributor with this setup . This setup gets the condenser out of the worse heat where it can get some air to assist cooling of the part . I once posted pictures here of this setup on my September 29 . I had a few to tell me that it would not work ! One of the people was an electrical engineer that showed how little he actually knew . Good USA condensers can be ordered or bought from NAPA . Most model A vendors also carry the V-8 condensers to be used on the model A . I have always thought that having the condenser mounted on the coil bracket or the firewall with the red wire connected to the switch side of the coil is best . I feel that this setup is FAR better than using V-8 points and condenser mounted on the upper distributor plate . The condenser is easy to get to for removal and replacement and the original easy to adjust points can still be used .
Thanks, Purdy. Pictures would be very helpful!!
Ford Acar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Because of problems with photo bucket and picture size , I no longer post pictures . Some replacement coil brackets have a small hole front and center to connect a modern style condenser . If this hole isn't on the bracket it will be necessary to either connect the condenser under one of the coil mounting screws or maybe drill a mounting hole near the coil to mount the condenser . If you have original color coded wiring harness , connect the pig tail on the condenser under or on top of the red switch wire that connects to one of the coil terminals . After the connections are made it will be necessary to remove the original condenser from the distributor or both condensers will try to work at the same time and might cause a problem . I have never had a problem with the condenser connected to the switch side of the coil . My twenty nine strip down has had a modern condenser connected to the coil for over twelve years with no problems. When set up in this manner the condenser will last longer and will be very easy to remove or replace . An original style A&l condenser can be installed in the same manner but will probably be more obvious and a pigtail wire to connect from the condenserto the coil will need to be made up .
Old 08-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
ursus

Purdy, please identify the "V-8 condenser" that you have described. Is it the 1957 - 70ish one used with the modern points system sold by the vendors or something else. Thanks!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Brattons offers the modern condenser on page 82 of the last catalog that they sent me . The parts number is 17610 price is $5.50 each . This should be the 1957-70ish condenser . Just about any condenser will work as long as it is good . I once used a condenser off of a fifty three Chevrolet on my model a and it worked . Voltage doesn't matter . I have used condensers that came off of both six or twelve volt automobiles . Whoever said that using the modern condenser would reduce power on the model A just doesn't know what he is talking about .
Old 08-23-2019, 04:42 AM   #12
canadian
BANNED

I had several condensers fail because of over voltage from Alternator. during the time of diagnosing cause I mounted a condenser from a 1969 ford with wire attached on firewall. its been a long time and many miles.works perfect no issues.
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #13
leo

I believe I saw a post saying that A&L will no longer be attending Hershey after the 2018 meet.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote