Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Can I run my A on White Lightning Moonshine?

oil is 10. a barrel this morning.

why bother????????????????
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #22
Jack Shaft
BANNED

There was a time when you could buy a model a for less than a days pay.My father ran his on penny a quart drain oil,gas stations would save the oil from people who got their cars serviced.engine blow up? clutch go bad? get another one.Cut them up,make all kinds of things out of them.Nobody 'restored' them,or marveled at the engineering involved,they were throw away cars.Folks drove them around town,a few miles a day and usually bought something nicer the first chance they got.Its only been lately that folks see the beauty of 'survivors',bangers and gow jobs..oddball fuel? perhaps,but not likely..any other oddball idea to make it more useful? yep..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #23
dean from bozeman

In the mid 70''s I went to a workshop about running a modern engine on alcohol. The three takeaways were:
1. the carburetor jets must be larger.
2. run the gas line in a way to "preheat" the alcohol.
3. run alcohol by itself. even a high content of water in the alcohol would be fine.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
dumb person

Yes. But not very well.

Was common in europe before gasoline was widespread. If old men approaching my car with walking frames are to be believed, they'd run them on anything they could find that would burn during the war.

I have run a honda90 on metholated spirits, but that is a different fuel.

And run a model T on diesel. But it was horrific.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #25
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

Coz I don't want to my cash going to those God d... Saudis! They took down the Twin Towers and chopped up that Wash Post journo in the consulate and fed him to stray dogs...that's why.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #26
M2M

In some parts of WI petrol has fallen to under $1 a gallon.

http://fuelinsights.gasbuddy.com/Home/US/Wisconsin

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #27
Pete

"Can I run my A on White Lightning Moonshine?"

Yes, it will run but it will be very lean and thus probably only make 10 hp or so and if you run it very long you will likely burn a piston and the valves.

With a few but costly mods you can gain 10 hp over the stock 40.
There are several types of alcohol but only 2 types commonly used for automotive fuel. Ethanol is used mixed with gasoline. Methanol is used as a race fuel. There are too many regulations on straight ethanol to be practical for auto fuel. Both will work about equal as far as functioning.
When running alcohol, the fuel system needs to be able to deliver about twice as much as for gasoline. This means bigger jets and bigger fuel lines. The system needs to be more resistant to corrosion also.
To burn alcohol and realize the potential increase in hp, compression needs to be raised as far as practical. Ideally, somewhere around 14 to 1 in a flathead.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #28
Fearless29

I remember as a kid in the sixties seeing an ad in J.C. Whitneys expounding on the virtues of a product they sold that looked like a floor mounted windshield washer pump pumping methanol into a modified sprayer hooked into the air cleaner system. I almost seem to have memory of hearing about someone actually trying it and it seemed that in order to get the improvement he was looking for it took too much effort working the pump with his foot. I'd be more inclined to cut the 200 proof about 50/50 with some nice cold branch water and enjoy it internally.
Fearless29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #29
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

And it ended at -37. Commodity traders had little or no storage for oil coming due for delivery per contract, and for which there was no demand. So they were paying to have it taken off their hands.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #30
dumb person

Lucky i didn't invest in oil futures.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #31
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Not a real accurate statement about oil from Saudi Arabia. United States is close to 90% self sufficient with most of import oil coming from Canada !
Actually, the US is now the world's largest producer of oil and at times actually produces more oil than it uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...y_independence

Quote:
In early December 2018, it was reported that the US had turned into a net exporter of oil "last week", thus breaking nearly 75 continuous years of dependence on foreign oil. Reportedly, the US sold overseas a net of 211,000 barrels a day of crude and refined products such as gasoline and diesel. This, compared to net imports of about three million barrels a day on average previously during 2018 and the prior annual peak of more than 12 million barrels a day during 2005, was confirmed by the US Energy Information Administration.[46]
Since then the market has "wavered" depending on the vagaries of the marketplace. At times the US consumes more than it produces, other times the market goes the other way.

The important thing is - the market is "free" and entirely dependent upon production/demand. Unlike 1973 when US executive decision making backed by Congressional rulemaking resulted in retribution by OPEC which hamstrung the US markets and gave OPEC a commanding lead into consumers pocketbooks.

The tying of politics and economics never bodes well for either.

I won't go into the current worldwide "glut" of oil caused at least in part by economic competition between Russia and the Saudis. But - that is Free Enterprise. We (US) may be best to let this play out - sort of a "just dessert" to the Saudi and OPEC for what happened in 1973 and 1979.

Joe K
Old 04-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #32
jquinlan

I've spent a good deal of time camping in the everglades and have researched some of the characters that made it their home back years ago. One of my favorite books was by Totch Brown called "A life in the Everglades" where he wrote about his colorful life as a poacher and moonshiner. I recall one part of the book they were in a Model A deep into a remote part of the everglades with a big family crammed into the car and they ran out of gas at night. Moonshine was what eventually powered the car to get them back home. Can't recall all the details now as it's been a few years since I read the book.

I highly recommend this book btw
Old 04-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #33
77Birdman

I took the op as tongue in cheek, I would doubt anyone today would do such a thing (correct me if im wrong), but I would imagine back when, if someone was stuck in the 'glades and that was their ticket out then by all means yes. Use what you have. Some of the old tractors would run on kerosene with a gasoline start then a switch over.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #34
mike657894

Back to your actual question. Yeah it will run pure ethanol. You will have to open the gav 100%. These are designed for multi fuel. That modern piece of s$%$ you have, its computer can determine if its 85% or 0-10% via a sensor and make map adjustments. No extra wear no extra tear just a much richer mixture to achieve good air to fuel mix. I run e-10 and achieved the advertised 65mph the other day on all stock parts. If my car is to sit more than a month I drain fuel. the problem with ethanol is that with heat up cool down the air inside the tank expands and contracts drawing airborne moisture into the tank that will attach to the ethanol and sink to the bottom of the tank. With agitation that water rides the ethanol back into the mix. To see this let some e-10 age for 6 months. look inside then shake and take a second look. Clean gas is a 40 minute round trip and 2-3x the price of the e-10. I drive my car too much for the run around. Also I drive enough to keep the fuel fresh.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote