Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
STEVE O

Default Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

Hi
My son has a 1954 Ford 239 V8 with the FOM automatic transmission with a cracked flexplate. With the help of some very nice Fordbarn members help we have located a new updated flexplate and the 3 reinforcing/spacer rings to install it.
Now my question is at this point there is no leaks from the transmission and would love to remove the transmission/bellhousing and converter complete on order to replace the cracked flexplate. The little information I can read this cannot be done without cutting the floor or crossmember to get the complete trans out. Is the any tips on how to remove it complete?
Thanks
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

The '54 Ford has the same car frame as the '55 and '56, but the body of the '54 is different which may mean clearances for removal might be different, but under NO circumstances would it ever be necessary to cut up a car frame to remove a transmission.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, but this is the way I've always done it on '55 & '56's:
Unhook the starter and remove it completely.
Unscrew the filler/dipstick and drain ATF. Remove dipstick tube & bracket.
Disconnect transmission passing gear link and gear select link at the trans levers and tape them out of the way so they don't get accidentally bent during trans case removal.
Pull the speedo cable and gear out of trans rear extension housing.
Remove (4) bolts holding driveshaft rear U-joint to the yoke and pull driveshaft out.
The trans is now ready to begin removal process.
Get a floor-jack with a scrap of 1/2" plywood to roll under the trans pan
Remove the 4 bolts that hold the trans case to the bellhousing. Do not remove bellhousing bolts yet.
Remove the (6) bolts (3 on each side) of the removable frame crossmember under the trans. Remove the (2) bolts that hold the U-bracket to the crossmember, then remove crossmember completely.
Lift the floor jack arm and put a little tension on it, then pull the trans case/rear housing sub-assembly out of the bellhousing. Pull it back on the rolling floor jack so that the front pump shaft clears the bellhousing just a little bit.
The next part is tricky. You will need to lower (SLOWLY) the floor jack while pushing the floor jack forward so that the front pump shaft has continued clearance from the bellhousing. Keep lowering and pushing the jack forward until the pump shaft is BELOW the bottom of the bellhousing. At this point, the trans will be tilted downward at the front quite a bit, so you may need to adjust the focal point of the floor jack arm with respect to it's position on the bottom of the pan. Be careful.
Once you are clear of the bellhousing, grab the rear extension housing while pushing the floor jack and trans forward until the rear extension clears the last little frame crossover. Then level off and lower your floor jack and roll the trans out from under the car.
Next, Remove the bolts that hold the front inspection plate (half-moon shaped) and remove it. You may also want to remove the (4) bolts that hold the intake air duct to the bellhousing, then remove it and the chicken wire screen to avoid damage to them during removal. Remove the bellhousing-to-engine block bolts. It may be necessary to remove your interior floor covering to access the top bolts. Pop out the floor plugs to see the bolts. Then you can pull the bellhousing out from under the car.
Now, drain the ATF from the converter to lighten it up a bit. Then begin removing all the bolts holding the air-cooled converter to the flex-plate. There should be two tabs on the flex-plate @ 180 degrees apart with (3) bolts each for a total of (6) bolts and nuts to remove the converter. It will be necessary to turn the engine crankshaft to get to some of the bolts.
Now, with the converter out of the way, you can access the (5) bolts that hold the flex-plate to the crankshaft.
Ta da
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Question Re: Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

What BODY STYLE is the 54?

Do you know if it has a BOX FRAME or X-FRAME?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
STEVE O

Hi ,
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the detailed instructions. It is a 2 door sedan customline. Is there any way to remove the transmission and bellhousing assembly with out separating the two?
Thanks
Steve
Old 01-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE O View Post
Hi ,

I appreciate the detailed instructions. It is a 2 door sedan customline. Is there any way to remove the transmission and bellhousing assembly with out separating the two?

Thanks

Steve
That is what I needed to know the frame type for. Will be back.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 01-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

OK ...

1st you need a 1954 CAR WSM to help you along with the car. Best way out (IMO) is a CD set.

What they are referring to regarding the floorboard is there are two rubber covers for holes on the trans tunnel (move back floor covering) allowing you to remove the two upper convertor hsng bolts.

The trans is then removed as Dave described.

I had a feeling if was the X-FRAME, it would have to be removed as in a BIRD.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
STEVE O

Thanks again. I appreciate it. So basically there is no way to remove it as assembly without cutting the floor to allow the tailshaft to tilt up to get it to clear the engine to get it out of there. My son is selling his 54 and we thought it would help sell it if we could get the flexplate installed to quiet it down. Considering messing with the converter seal and the possibility of making leaks we may reconsider this and sell it as is.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 01-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:

So basically there is no way to remove it as assembly without cutting the floor to allow the tailshaft to tilt up to get it to clear the engine to get it out of there.
There is no reason to cut the floorboard.

That trans will slide out from underneath.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #9
STEVE O

Sorry KULTULZ and Daves55sedan but if I understand correctly the only way to get the transmission out is to separate the bellhousing & transmission for it to get it out of there? Sorry to be dense but the older I get I think the denser I feel.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 01-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #10
darrell

it is not an easy job.i took one out of a 56 with a transmission jack and the car was on a hoist.still a handful.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Post Re: Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

Quote:

Sorry KULTULZ and Daves55sedan but if I understand correctly the only way to get the transmission out is to separate the bellhousing & transmission for it to get it out of there? Sorry to be dense but the older I get I think the denser I feel.
It will come out whole. If you take it out in sections and have to replace it as such, think of the filth that will fall into it.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #12
STEVE O

GREAT! Yes you are exactly right. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2022, 09:10 PM   #13
paul2748

Do you have a shop manual? That may describe the steps needed to remove the transmission. If your working on your car, you should have this manual. Personally, I prefer the written manual, not the one on CD. I don't have a computer in my garage.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:53 PM   #14
STEVE O

I do have a chiltons manual but couldn't find where it tells how to remove the auto trans (even lists the R&R but not there when I looked), just the manual trans. I need to dig in my shop and I may have a motors manual that will have it.
Thanks everyone
Steve
Old 01-08-2022, 04:32 AM   #15
KULTULZ

The 1954 WSM gives instructions in detail.

1955/ WSM description must have gone to the AT TRANS WSM.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-08-2022, 08:10 AM   #16
LOWRIDER

I was 18 when I converted my 56 Meteor CV from an automatic to a 3sp back in 68'. Did the whole job in the family garage with no hoist, no air tools or even a shop manual. I didn't have to do any cutting, bending or other oddball things. Did have to use a lot of muscle. End result with my 3sp Hurst Mystery shifter was a very smooth manual conversion.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #17
darrell

myself i would change the flexplate and thats all.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:32 AM   #18
GLAmes

Someone who has better knowledge can affirm or dispel this. It is my understanding that once the torque converter is installed on the input shaft it can't be removed without damaging the snap ring inside the TC. For that reason you unbolt the TC from the flexplate and remove the transmission and bellhousing as a unit.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #19
STEVE O

Hi
Do you think its possible to slide transmission back far enough to exchange the flexplate?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #20
KULTULZ

Question Re: Tips on transmission removal 1954 Ford

Are you doing this on the ground or do you have a lift?

- WHY IS IT ... -