Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
chrisabes

Default Chassis number

I have recently removed the body of our pick up and tried (unsuccessfully) to locate the chassis number.
During the search, I noticed a number stamped on the rear left hand engine mount, It is not very clear but I have attached a couple of photo's.
Anyone able to let me know the purpose of the numbers, I don't believe they are a part number or serial number for the mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1881.jpg (57.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1879.jpg (55.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1877.jpg (51.8 KB, 149 views)
chrisabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Chassis number

Never seen that before and I agree it does not appear to be a model a part number. (Frame parts are from A-5000---A-5150 and engine parts are from A-6000---A-6999.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
pooch

Is that a 28/9 roadster pickup?

hard to see in avatar.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
chrisabes

Hi pooch, '28. The front engine mount is part of the cross member. Have just started the long road to "roadworthy restoration". Should be great fun locating missing items
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
johnbuckley

This touches on a subject we are trying to get a grip on here in the UK....Were Australian vehicles ever stamped on the chassis rail?? It is said that Canada stopped stamping the rail in mid 1928.Our UK club is trying to compile an up to date register of As and Bs in the UK and we struggle with chassis numbers! Many of our cars are imported (the A was a poor seller in the UK).Can anyone provide a history on the assembly of the As and Bs in Australia, or direct us to a web source or other?Since by all accounts Canada was the supplying manufacturing plant to the Australian assembly plants What sort of CKD or other state were the cars imported as? We are not even sure if/when UK chassis were stamped!!!!

Last edited by johnbuckley; 01-06-2017 at 06:56 AM.
johnbuckley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
pooch

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisabes View Post
Hi pooch, '28. The front engine mount is part of the cross member. Have just started the long road to "roadworthy restoration". Should be great fun locating missing items
Chris, Toowoomba swap is soon.

Always a bit of A stuff there.

What parts do you need ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
SGT in Ont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
This touches on a subject we are trying to get a grip on here in the UK....Were Australian vehicles ever stamped on the chassis rail?? It is said that Canada stopped stamping the rail in mid 1928.Our UK club is trying to compile an up to date register of As and Bs in the UK and we struggle with chassis numbers! Many of our cars are imported (the A was a poor seller in the UK).Can anyone provide a history on the assembly of the As and Bs in Australia, or direct us to a web source or other?Since by all accounts Canada was the supplying manufacturing plant to the Australian assembly plants What sort of CKD or other state were the cars imported as? We are not even sure if/when UK chassis were stamped!!!!
John is correct. Ford Canada stopped putting the engine number on the frame in about mid-way through 1928. Ford of Canada was the supplier to all countries of the British Commonwealth. I have no idea what those numbers stamped on/near the rear motor mounts on the pick-up are.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
chrisabes

Hi John & SGT in Ont, thank you both for your input.
Further to my original post, I checked the Certificate of Registration and the VIN Number is as per the stamp, V914614P. Interestingly enough, the 4's are stamped lying down, see the photo's.
The following is an extract from the Model A Restorers Club, Model A Ford Assembly Plants (Canada)

Following is a list of the assembly plants with their equated letter codes.

Letter
Symbol Location 1. M Montreal, Quebec — 119-139 Laurier Avenue East 2 T Toronto, Ontario — 2951-2991 Danforth Avenue 3 W Winnipeg, Manitoba — Portage and Wall Streets 4 V Vancouver, British Columbia — 1160 Hamilton Street
This would make the vehicle assembled in Vancouver. Now to decipher the remaining numbers/letters
Old 01-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #9
chrisabes

Hi pooch. I will be at the Toowoomba Swap meet, great day out.Early days for parts required but include control rods and bellcrank for (RHD) ignition advance/retard, left hand emergancy btake rod.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
SGT in Ont.

Chrisabes, Normally the letter indicating which assembly plant would appear on the body cross member right about where your heel would be sitting in the drivers seat. The numbers following the plant letter are believed to be the sequential number of bodies going down the assembly line of that plant. Anything is possible when the car was received at the Australia assembly plant in knocked down form. Someone could have stamped the number on the frame that was on the body cross member and the P at the end of the number could be just to indicate Pick up truck. Like I said anything was possible back then.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote