Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
kistler14

Default 31 model a differential drive shaft removal technique

how to
kistler14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
kistler14

Default Re: 31 model a differential drive shaft removal technique

how to remove drive shaft with pinion attached
kistler14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
HD Rider

I'm confused.
Why do you want to leave the pinion attached?
With the axle assembly out, remove the speedometer gears, front bearing, and radius rods. Unbolt the drive shaft housing and slide it off. Then uncouple from the pinion. Pull the pinion separately if you want it out for some reason.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Big hammer

To remove the drive shaft with pinion from the center housing can not be done. The pinion has to be removed from the shaft. Tom Enddy has information on rear end rebuilding that is great reading !
Old 12-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
john charlton

With the rear axle housing broken down the drive shaft with the pinion still on it will slide out of the banjo.

John in Tonbridge Wells Kent County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Brendan

how would you remove the pinion from the driveshaft without removing the hole thing in one piece from the Banjo? the pinion is a tapered fit, just like the rear axles. after you take the torque tube off the pinion Bering drive shaft and pinion come out in one piece. there is a puller that i bought to pull the hole thing out

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
Bob C

This Tom Endy article shows how to get it out.
http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...-Pictorial.pdf

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
MAG

To remove the Drive Shaft with Pinion Gear as a assembly:
1. Remove the Torque Tube from the Banjo.
2. Using the Drive Shaft Puller (Brattons P/N 6335) pull the Drive Shaft and Pinion Assembly from the Banjo.

The Pinion Assembly can now be removed from the Drive Shaft by removing the nut on the end of the Drive Shaft. A puller will be required to remove the Pinion Assembly from the Drive Shaft.

The Pinion Assembly will include the Pinion Bearings. They will be intact and remain adjusted if the two large Adjusting/Retaining Nuts are not loosened.
This is very helpful when installing a Mitchell OD.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
whirnot

Mitchell sells a puller, but they will also rent it.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
Synchro909

I don't pull the shaft and pinion out - I push them out. With all of he innards removed from the banjo, I use a small hydraulic kack in there to push it out. Sometimes it takes a bit of pressure and I get concerned about distorting the banjo so I use a little heat around the pinion bearing housing.
Easy!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
john charlton

Putting a jack in the banjo is a definate NO NO !!! IMHO . Any slight distortion of the banjo will compromise the fit of the two axle sides .There is a very easy cheap way to make a puller to pull the double race . You will see a rear hub is a perfect fit that clears the edges of the double race . Obviously the hub bearing and drum are removed so the the rear hub is bare . Get a suitable length of ACME thread stud bar and two nuts and two washers . You will need a pulling plate which goes against the inner bearing race . The one I use is about 1" thick and lozenge shaped so I can pull the diff carrier races in the axle housing halves as well you just slide it in on the angle you get my drift . The pulling plate has a hole in it for the ACME thread stud bar goes through and use a junk bearing under the plate and tighten the nuts and the bearing race pulls clear with no unwanted loading on the banjo . I do have pics but I dont know how to load them I will get son or daughter to do that maybe later !!!

John in West Drayton London NEW YEAR with no.2 daughter and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FORD BARNERS!!!
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Putting a jack in the banjo is a definate NO NO !!! IMHO . Any slight distortion of the banjo will compromise the fit of the two axle sides .There is a very easy cheap way to make a puller to pull the double race . You will see a rear hub is a perfect fit that clears the edges of the double race . Obviously the hub bearing and drum are removed so the the rear hub is bare . Get a suitable length of ACME thread stud bar and two nuts and two washers . You will need a pulling plate which goes against the inner bearing race . The one I use is about 1" thick and lozenge shaped so I can pull the diff carrier races in the axle housing halves as well you just slide it in on the angle you get my drift . The pulling plate has a hole in it for the ACME thread stud bar goes through and use a junk bearing under the plate and tighten the nuts and the bearing race pulls clear with no unwanted loading on the banjo . I do have pics but I dont know how to load them I will get son or daughter to do that maybe later !!!

John in West Drayton London NEW YEAR with no.2 daughter and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FORD BARNERS!!!

The banjo can easily become distorted by mishandling. I learned that the hard way years ago when I went to press a new double race into a banjo. I placed the banjo on the platform of the press and pressed the race in. When I was done the banjo was in the shape of a football.

The correct way to press a double race in is to hang it over a thin platform with supports under the race stop.

I believe you can also distort the banjo by using a jack inside, though the technique has been around in how to books for years.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:51 AM   #13
redmodelt

^ I use a piece of 1" steel plate on a hot plate, Ford showed using a torch. After it gets good and hot I take the race out of the freezer and it drops right in.
Oh and I heat the bearings in oil or on a 100 watt bulb under a coffee can setup we have. Esp the bearings that go on the carrier, the fewer times pressing then on or off the better in my OP.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #14
100IH

IF the pinion needs to be replaced R&R, removing can be tough but the install is much tougher without bending the shaft. For success find a supplier what will do it with the special frame. They can send you the new ring and pinion with the pinion installed w/o damaging it.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote