Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
Cornishman

Default Pulled over by the Police!

I was on my way to a car meet yesterday evening when I was pulled over by the Gendarmes. I got out of the car with all my documents but he said , no, you don’t need those, this is personal. He only wanted to get a better look at the Model A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C97D07FC-07D5-472A-AA89-412E5FB39B42.jpg (87.6 KB, 266 views)
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
Werner

Default Re: Pulled over by the Police!

That's a nice experience. Some time ago I was shopping with my Citroen 11 CV. When I came back to the parking place, there was a police officer. I was shocked because the front license plate is not up to standard (too short, bent and old letter norm), not allowed. But he just liked the car, asked lots of questions and wished us a good trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frings 33100.jpg (93.2 KB, 130 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

Nice story.I haven't had that happen yet but looking forward to it.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Back in the 60s, something like that happened to me also. I was driving my TR3 that I had just reconditioned. I parked and came out of the store to find a cop eyeing my little treasure up and down. I went over to talk to him and he was admiring it (whew). The windup of it was we wound up trading, his 59 Buick Station Wagon for the Triumph. I had fun with the TR3 and I had fun with the Buick, a very positive experience!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
TerryO

Beautiful car,I don't blame him for wanting a closer look.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
That's a nice experience. Some time ago I was shopping with my Citroen 11 CV. When I came back to the parking place, there was a police officer. I was shocked because the front license plate is not up to standard (too short, bent and old letter norm), not allowed. But he just liked the car, asked lots of questions and wished us a good trip.

The front looks really nice. Can you post a picture of the entire car?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
katy

Got stopped on a Texas highway in 1962 because the trooper wanted to know where Manitoba was.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Werner

Quote:
The front looks really nice. Can you post a picture of the entire car?
Yes of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frings 30605.jpg (76.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Frings 30046k.jpg (121.3 KB, 139 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Dodge

I try not to drive my car at night but a week or so I got stuck at work after dark and had to drive my car home. It’s an early 1929 so it has a 1928 style taillight.
I had a highway patrolman coming up behind me then along side of me then behind me again, he put on his lights and pulled me over.
He went along side to see if my headlights were on, because he could hardly see my tail light.
He was very young and hadn’t run across 6 volt lighting before. No ticket, just a discussion
about lighting and he suggested LED bulbs.
He did say what a nice car it was and gave it a good look over.
Long story short, I got some LED bulbs from Bert’s and put in some tin foil in the housings
with them and boy its bright now.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
holdover

Back in my hometown, Huntington New York in the early 60's the local officers enjoyed seeing my original '31 coupe, one commented that they didn't have to worry about one teenager driving at a high rate of speed.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
john in illinois

I was waiting to meet my model club at the intersection of 2 country roads.
A Sherrif deputy stoped and asked if I was lost.iI told him no,I was just waiting.

He said “good, I thought you were in the wrong century”. True story. We cracked up.

John
Old 07-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I try not to drive my car at night but a week or so I got stuck at work after dark and had to drive my car home. It’s an early 1929 so it has a 1928 style taillight.
I had a highway patrolman coming up behind me then along side of me then behind me again, he put on his lights and pulled me over.
He went along side to see if my headlights were on, because he could hardly see my tail light.
He was very young and hadn’t run across 6 volt lighting before. No ticket, just a discussion
about lighting and he suggested LED bulbs.
He did say what a nice car it was and gave it a good look over.
Long story short, I got some LED bulbs from Bert’s and put in some tin foil in the housings
with them and boy its bright now.

poor tail lights do worry me and on one night my buddy following behind spoke of a car rapidly closing in on me followed by severe breaking, he obviously hadn't seen me. I enquired with a local "A" supply dealer about LED tail lights and he suggested a better idea. Us a pulsating red light, the ones that are frequently seen on bicycles. They are inexpensive and can be seen more than 2 miles away. I now carry one, fully charged of course.
In addition I applied adhesive reflective tape to the rear bumper bars.
I feel much more comfortable driving at night, which is not often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulsaing.JPG (22.3 KB, 33 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 07-27-2019 at 04:36 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #13
Vanspeed

“I got out of the car” lol. In the states that is a big no no.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:59 AM   #14
Synchro909

Nothing to do with the police but a few weeks ago, I had someone looking at the A and they asked "What year is it?" I told them it is 2019.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #15
Forddan

Last month I had a few issues with the Tudor 1929. It was stalling and backfiring. After doing several changes, the car sounded good. So I went to test it with the mechanic in a big parking lot a few blocks near the garage. Car did well till the parking lot. Suddenly started to backfire again. But this time was really strong. Two, three backfires and suddenly 2 police SUVs with the lights on arrived. The mechanic and I were in the car. They come one on each side and with a big smile they asked " are you guys working on this car" the answer was YES. Then they started to laugh and one said "neighbors called because they heard gun shootings". We all laughed, I apologized for the issue. They took a good look to the car because they liked and waited to help us on our way back to the garage in case the car stopped in the middle of the route.
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Bob Bidonde

I was pulled over by the police 3 times that I recall while driving my Coupe.

The 1st time was by an officer who recognized my Coupe was not registered or inspected. I had a Marlboro cigarette pack in the windshield that kinda sorta looked like a reg sticker. Fortunately he was a Model A'er and we became good friends.

The 2nd time was by an officer who wanted to have a photo taken with his foot on my running board.

The 3rd time was for convoying on the Connecticut Turnpike (Pre I-95 days, the 1970s). I was leading a group of Model A's to the trolley museum in Branford. The A's were a car-length or more apart, but that wasn't enough for the Connecticut State Trooper who insisted the cars be 50 to 75 yards apart. The MAFCLI paid for the ticket.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 AM   #17
RUNNERBUN

A couple of years back I was travelling with a friend along the highway on the way to a meet. My friend who was ahead of me called me up on the two-way radio and said I should watch my speed unless I wanted a picture taken as there was a police Radar speed camera ahead. I jokingly replied that it was my lifelong ambition to get a speeding ticket in my Model A. Almost immediately a stern Police voice came over the radio and said "I can oblige if you like" I politely declined his offer and wished him a good day.
I suspect he had a good chuckle as we did.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
A couple of years back I was travelling with a friend along the highway on the way to a meet. My friend who was ahead of me called me up on the two-way radio and said I should watch my speed unless I wanted a picture taken as there was a police Radar speed camera ahead. I jokingly replied that it was my lifelong ambition to get a speeding ticket in my Model A. Almost immediately a stern Police voice came over the radio and said "I can oblige if you like" I politely declined his offer and wished him a good day.
I suspect he had a good chuckle as we did.
In 2013.as we returned from one of our outback trips, we came through Port Augusta and Adelaide and headed east towards home. We saw a police car on the side of the road near the Victorian border. We were on Channel 38, not a common one but we heard the cop loud and clear asking where we had been and where we were going. I'm sure they transmit (and listen) on all channels simultaneously. In our group were a 1928 and 1939 Chev, my '29 Model A Phaeton and a 1926 Chrysler. It was pi$$ing rain and we could tell by the expression in his voice that the cop didn't believe we had done a trip like that. (We had been to Darwin, Kakadoo, etc.) To this day, I 'm certain the only reason he didn't pull us all over was because it was raining so hard.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
77Birdman

Happy ending. When I bought my trans am, I had to trailer it from Fla. to MD. Travelling on I-95 through Georgia, I noticed a state cop following me for a bit. Then he pulled into the fast lane passing me very slowly. I could only imagine what was in store for me. When he got beside me he rode steady for a few seconds, long enough for me to make eye contact, he gave me thumbs up and sped away.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
Ray in La Mesa

When I got my first car, a '30 fordor in high school in Big Bear Lake, Ca. a cop followed me in to my driveway. Was going to give me a ticket for no front license plate. At the time Calif. plates were yellow on black, it was mounted on the headlight bar. I was sitting in the A as he walked by and said it was there but he didn't believe me. He got to the front of the A and his face turned into a frown. He did apologized & we talked for a bit. I did get a number of speeding tickets in the following years in the A but have now "lost my need for speed".
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote