Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Bill Stipe

Default Loss of the greatest man I ever knew

December 18-2011 at 10:20 PM I lost my Dad at the age of 95. I will miss him dearly he taught me so much in life I will never forget him. Born March 24 -1916. I can only imagine what he has all seen in his life. He served in WWII from December 2 – 1944 to February 11 – 1946 but never talked about it.
My mom handed me a brown envelope that said “Official Records” Aug 1945 in there was a booklet with maps and information on the island of Tinian where he was stationed, also with letter of commendation.
He was a baker, medical aidman for 12 months, expert Rifleman, and observed the Enola Gay B-29 bomber take off for Japan. I had no idea he was involved with that part of the war, mom told me he had helped unload the Little Boy bomb from the ship and that was his letter of commendation unloading the ship in five days when tentatively set for twelve days.
He build 4 houses for himself over life time, he was a mason, carpenter, mechanic, plumber, repaired watches for the guys in WWII, bee keeper, raised quails, gardened, farmed, worked on his Aunts mink ranch raising mink and skinning them for pelts and the list goes on. William A Stipe Sr
Bill Stipe Jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill & Bill Jr Model T ride 2009 S.jpg (101.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Bill Stipe; 12-20-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Bill Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
jackdaron

Default Re: Loss of the greatest man I ever knew

Sorry for your loss. I miss my dad also.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
fordman67

Bill, I know you do not know me. I however must convey my condolences for your loss. Your father sounds to be a true american hero! Unfortunately many of the ww2 vetrans kept quiet about their service.
He must have been a very talented person,the world will miss that type of person.
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
[email protected]

I miss my Dad too. I'd have a lot less knowledge about the old fords than I do if it hadn't been for him. He was also a WW2 veteran. I know it's not easy for you now but in time you'll celebrate his life and your love will grow even stronger. God bless you and your father.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
t42

Bill,
Your words of admiration speak volumes of your love for your dad. To have him for such a long time is truly a blessing. As we age, we appreciate the lessons in life that our folks passed on to us more and more.
My dad passed two years ago at 83 yrs and I know what you are feeling. Also, our daughter was killed 13 years ago by a drunk. Cherish their memories and repeat their stories and experiences to the younger generations. May we never forget!
God bless.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Model T Monte

Bill, I too lost my Dad a few years ago. They can never be replaced nor do we want them to be. They were our personal HERO`S. Sincerly Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Marcus

Bill - I am so sorry for your loss; you were truly blessed to have him for this long, and I know YOU know that. Your Dad sounds like the man we all strive to be: the kind that you can look up to, appreciate, learn from, trust and respect. While I know you grieve his departure - please know that you SHALL see him again and until then you have nothing but wonderful memories.......take solice in the fact that HE KNEW he was loved.......and that he is now in the loving arms of our Lord and Savior.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Jack Innes

Bill,
I can sympathise with your loss, having been there myself. I cannot add much to the fine sentiments already expressed other than to agree with them all. I am proud to see that Model T folks & old car folks in general are not afraid to express their feelings at a time like this.
Jack
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Bill I do not know how you feel, nor do I want too. I still have my dad work side by side with him, that being said I'M SO SORRY FOR YOU LOST. I think Marcus put it best what a great man he must have been. your Friend Allen
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Bill Stipe

Thanks for all your kind words, I will truely miss him.

Bill Stipe