Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Question Re: Sensor cable to brake backplate - 2007 F150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

When there is an ABS fault, it defaults to standard normal brakes like we all used to drive. Don't understand any panic about driving the truck. Are we all turning into wimps ?

Sal
Pre-ABS Braking Systems were hydraulic valve(s) controlled.

ABS eliminated all hydraulic valving. So when the ABS goes down, you may still have service brakes (if all mechanical's are good) but you will have no skid/bias control.

I don't understand why this is so complicated.

If you go in for a STATE INSPECTION and the MIL LAMP either is on or will not come on, you either have it repaired or told to have a nice day (most likely after signing a waiver). WV slaps a red decal on your windshield and any further discussion will be with Smokey.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #22
rotorwrench

Default Re: Sensor cable to brake backplate - 2007 F150?

Computer controlled stuff has OBD II connect so a person can check fault codes and other parameters. It may not tell which one of the four sensors are not giving a reading but the obvious damage generally tells the tail. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to run a car home to do further repairs. The computer goes in to limpy mode but only for the anti skid part.

Back in the day, we had to do anti skid manually by alternately applying and releasing the brake pedal pressure when driving on black ice and such. I like living in south Texas now since it doesn't freeze often and I avoid driving in heavy rain or icing conditions for the most part.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #23
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Pre-ABS Braking Systems were hydraulic valve(s) controlled.

ABS eliminated all hydraulic valving. So when the ABS goes down, you may still have service brakes (if all mechanical's are good) but you will have no skid/bias control.

I don't understand why this is so complicated.

If you go in for a STATE INSPECTION and the MIL LAMP either is on or will not come on, you either have it repaired or told to have a nice day (most likely after signing a waiver). WV slaps a red decal on your windshield and any further discussion will be with Smokey.

Like I said, the brakes will still act normally just like cars used to before ABS was around. Nothing complicated.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #24
KULTULZ

Quote:

Like I said, the brakes will still act normally just like cars used to before ABS was around. Nothing complicated.

Sal
Like I said, brakes before ABS had valving -

No they will not operate as did pre-ABS.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 11-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #25
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
When there is an ABS fault, it defaults to standard normal brakes like we all used to drive. Don't understand any panic about driving the truck. Are we all turning into wimps ? Sal
Not panicked, just wanted to know what to expect if I tried to move the truck without the sensor cable hooked up, or if even the vehicle would move at all. Later, I went out there and was able to turn the rotor by hand, so I at least know they aren't locked up.
My apologies for never having kept up with technology. I am still living in the 1950's, not only automotive-wise, but also as far as household items and garage tools. Don't hand me an Actron engine analyzer. I wouldn't know what to do with it. Never had a sink disposer, nor an automatic dishwasher. Still have two of Alexander Graham Bell's candlestick phones here, never had a mobile-phone.
I've always babied my truck, including never slamming on the brakes and used it only when I needed to haul something. I missed my truck right away, but finally broke down and loaded 3 weeks worth of yard waste containers in the back of the '55 ford Courier wagon and dumped them at the yard waste facility.
The impound lot is big, so I intend to pull it out slowly and "test" the brakes before I pull out on the road. I only need to go 4 miles. Once I get it home, I will tear into making the repairs. No wining here.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #26
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Sensor cable to brake backplate - 2007 F150?

Quote:
Not panicked, just wanted to know what to expect if I tried to move the truck without the sensor cable hooked up, or if even the vehicle would move at all. Later, I went out there and was able to turn the rotor by hand, so I at least know they aren't locked up.
Dave, no one can tell what will happen when you are on open highway. If someone says "you will be fine" (my favorite) and you go out there and bust your a$$, said person could be held civilly liable, something HIDIN' BIDEN is about to discover.

You just want to get it home to evaluate the damage?

And no need for any apology. You have done nothing wrong.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #27
rotorwrench

I have an old Brand X Cavalier that has the valving control unit. It has an electric motor that alternates the pressure application of both front and rear systems. I've only heard it activate a few times and it makes an loud odd ball noise that leaves the driver wondering WTF just happened. These set ups are electro-hydraulic but are still controlled by the computer. If it loses the wheel speed sense, it just doesn't work.

Most ABS cars have a similar system. If the brakes fail due to an ABS fault then that is grounds for a law suit so the likelihood of total failure is very little unless there are other faults in the brake system that have been ignored.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-23-2021 at 08:05 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #28
craig

KULTULZ, I know that I said I was done with this post, but I just can't let this thing go. First, I'd like you to understand that I have been in the auto repair buisness since 1968. I have been certified since 1974. The last 20 years I was the fleet manager at a local Sheriff's department, where 90% of the vehicles were Fords, I retired this past January. I was never a parts salesman, I just repaired the vehicles. Now, I have read many of your posts, and yes you have been correct on many issues. However, your knowledge on an ABS system is not completely accurate. I understand that you are concerned about brake failure, as we all should be. However, as the others and I have tried to explain how the system works, you just counter back with insulting remarks. Please read an actual manufacturers shop manual. Yes, it will list many warnings, but it won't tell you that the brakes will fail if the ABS light comes on
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:14 PM   #29
fordor41

"HIDIN' BIDEN" I was wondering how long before the political BS would start. If you're going to quote your savior please quote him correctly. It's "sleepy eyed Joe"
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #30
KULTULZ

Post Re: Sensor cable to brake backplate - 2007 F150?

Craig -

I too have been around cars and heavy truck since 1967, so I have a pretty good grasp on the situation. I assure you I fully understand ABS and have the needed diagnostic tools for it.

But that is enough of the BS. I think the problem here is semantics.

Now not to ruffle any feathers, you said you worked for a police fleet. What was policy for sending out a unit with the LAMP ON?

You guys keep on it. You have worn me out.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #31
KULTULZ

Quote:
It's "sleepy eyed Joe"
Speaking of eyes, do you wear those POLICE INTERCEPTOR sun glasses while driving to help you ignore the ABS lamp being continuously illuminated in your face?
Old 11-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #32
craig

KULTULZ
No actual policy, just common sense. I never sent any cars out with any warning lights on, but I had many cars come in with a light on. In most cases, it had been on for several days. Usually they hadn't noticed it. The light that caught most of the attention was the TPMS, because none of them wanted to change a tire in the middle of nowhere
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #33
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Speaking of eyes, do you wear those POLICE INTERCEPTOR sun glasses while driving to help you ignore the ABS lamp being continuously illuminated in your face?
No, I ignore the ABS and traction control lights!
Old 11-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #34
fordor41

To put KULTULZ's mind at rest, I took my Jeep in for some work and they noticed the ABS/TC light on and installed a new sensor. It brakes sooooooo much better now, not!
Old 11-25-2021, 01:42 AM   #35
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post

To put KULTULZ's mind at rest, I took my Jeep in for some work and they noticed the ABS/TC light on and installed a new sensor. It brakes sooooooo much better now, not!
Why don't you give it up?