Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
callbald

Default 64 Galaxie front drum brake issue

It started with a leaky wheel cylinder. I replaced the front brake wheel cylinders and spring kits. I buttoned the system up and all worked fine. I discovered surface cracks in the brake shoe linings and drums needed to be replaced. So I came back and replaced the shoes and drums with Bendix parts.

The fronts ran really hot 190 degrees and with squealing. Hand spinning the wheels, the shoes are slightly dragging with 2 full rotations and that is with both shoe adjusters fully retracted.

I had the front drums turned with no improvement in temp. Also forgot to say there is squealing when stopping.
callbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
58Yeoman

Default Re: 64 Galaxie front drum brake issue

Have you checked the front brake hoses. I had a 46 Ford PU once that did that. The hoses collapsed inside and kept the brake pressure from bleeding back to the MC. When I would jack it up and check, the front wheels would turn. Changed both hoses and all was well.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
fordor41

bevel leading end of the linings at a 45 deg. angle. The square edge on the lining may be causing the squealing
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
bevel leading end of the linings at a 45 deg. Angle. The square edge on the lining may be causing the squealing
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
callbald

I did the brakes in two phases: 1 review of wheel cylinder leak found brake lines very rusty (original) and single master cyl => I installed new brake lines, dual master cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake springs. II had no problems with the first phase changes. I found one of the front brake linings cracked and that's when I replaced the front brake drums (11x3) and shoes 2 1/2 wide ---now the trouble began with 190 degree front drums,and squealing.

I decided to see if the drag issue could be seen: I spray painted the drum brake surface and reinstalled with wheels. I just spun the wheels (no braking) and when I pull the drums off I found shoe edge drag lines traced in the dried paint. The lines are about 1/4 inch wide. Makes me think the drum surfaces are cupped or the shoes are.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
callbald

Sorry, yes the first phase included new brake lines front and rear.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #7
miker98038

Doing the drum brakes in a shop used to include grinding or "arching?" The shoes to fit the drums. If there's one left in your area doing that it might be worth a shot.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
bobss396

Some older truck shops may be able to arc them, but arc-able shoes had extra meat on them to allow arcing. I bevel the trailing and leading edges on mine too, but give it a shallower angle and go 1" up on both ends of the shoes. I use a wood rasp and lock the shoe in a bench vise.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
callbald

I've called around here in Fort Wayne, In and shops have no one to arc shoes like in the old days. Since I have had the drums turned, I know they are true and that leaves the brake shoes. So i ordered up a set of Wagner shoes from Rock Auto.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
bobss396

I have those on the rear of my Ford, also from RA. Drop them into the drum first to see where they make contact. If the heel and toe touch first, try my wood rasp trick. Mark 1" up both ends of the shoe with a sharpie and put a shallow bevel on them,

it really does help and keep both shoes close as possible, by eye is fine. Mine still took a while to break in.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
callbald

I found the problem. The mechanic that replaced the brake shoes used 2 hold down spring sets not four. Soon as I installed the hold down springs, everything went good: temp down no squealing noises and straight line braking.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
bobss396

It goes to show you that few mechanics really know drum brakes. I did them in the day where shops turned away disc brake jobs because they knew nothing about them. I recall the place I worked in getting a new Ammco disc cutting lathe, had to be in 1975.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
It goes to show you that few mechanics really know drum brakes. I did them in the day where shops turned away disc brake jobs because they knew nothing about them. I recall the place I worked in getting a new Ammco disc cutting lathe, had to be in 1975.
I had the same issue on a pickup years ago. The "mechanic" put the return springs on wrong. I told him if I had wanted to have them screwed up I would have done the job myself!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #14
bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
I had the same issue on a pickup years ago. The "mechanic" put the return springs on wrong. I told him if I had wanted to have them screwed up I would have done the job myself!!
I started in one shop, another mechanic was doing a drum brake job, he kept the one side intact, went back and forth comparing parts. Pretty funny.

Drum brakes are a lost art, I still do them for people and get a decent buck for my work, but they are done right. All new hardware, wheel cylinders and the drums are measured and resurfaced. Bad drums are replaced.

Discs are a great $$ maker for the repair trade. Some shops throw in a set of new pucks, give the rest a cursory once over, use the old pad clips if the new pads don't have them, no lube. Out the door in 20 minutes for only $119 an axle.