Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Ford56

Default An oil dipstick dilemma

So, today, I just received my new to me '56 Victoria. All well and good, and pretty much as I expected it would be. However, when I checked the oil, there wasn't any on the dipstick. Now the previous owner told me he just had it changed, and it was full. The dipstick is a very shiny chrome one, one I've never seen before. I looked under the car and didn't see evidence of a leak; however, there is a small amount of oil on the frame cross member. Nothing on the valve covers, oil pan seals, rear of engine where the transmission join together. The bottom of the car looks pretty clean. I added a quart, still didn't show any oil, I added a second quart, still no joy. I then added a THIRD quart, and still no joy. I didn't have any more to add at that point, and that is where I am now. So, the question is, what is going on? Is the oil so new & clean that it doesn't show on this shiny chrome stick?? Have I now over filled the engine by 3 quarts. I'm thinking I'll just take it to a nearby shop, have them drain what amount is in there, and fill w/5 quarts, so I know what I've got. Plus, I can then check that shiny dipstick and know there are 5 quarts.

What does the all wise and knowing Ford Barn have to say??

Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

I’m assuming it’s still a y block. And I don’t know where the dipstick is on a passenger car motor. In the bird it’s mid block, but isn’t the car up in the timing cover?

To my knowledge no one makes a chrome dipstick or tube for a y block. So it may be you’ve got the wrong one. Clean oil on chrome can be tough to see too. Someone with a car needs to verify the location and then measure the length of both the tube and the stick so you can verify what you’ve got. I suspect it’s wrong. Well, I hope it’s wrong and a fresh oil change isn’t down 3-4 quarts already.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Ford56

Thumbs down Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
I’m assuming it’s still a y block. And I don’t know where the dipstick is on a passenger car motor. In the bird it’s mid block, but isn’t the car up in the timing cover?

To my knowledge no one makes a chrome dipstick or tube for a y block. So it may be you’ve got the wrong one. Clean oil on chrome can be tough to see too. Someone with a car needs to verify the location and then measure the length of both the tube and the stick so you can verify what you’ve got. I suspect it’s wrong. Well, I hope it’s wrong and a fresh oil change isn’t down 3-4 quarts already.
Yeah, I realized after I posted I should have mentioned it is a 302, from a 1972 Grand Turino.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
miker98038

I’d still try to find a longer dipstick, and just put it in and see if you can see oil. Ideally, something long enough to bottom out in the pan. I suspect there are different pan/stick combinations for the 302 also.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
Herman Munster

I'd suggest draining the engine into a clean container that you can measure to see how much oil is in it. You may be surprised to find you have 8 quarts of oil in it.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
40cpe

a simple wipe of the stick with your finger will tell you if it has oil on it. With clean oil you can hold it in the light at different angles to see where the oil line is.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
Ford56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
I'd suggest draining the engine into a clean container that you can measure to see how much oil is in it. You may be surprised to find you have 8 quarts of oil in it.
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing today. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
Ford56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
a simple wipe of the stick with your finger will tell you if it has oil on it. With clean oil you can hold it in the light at different angles to see where the oil line is.
Yup, I have done the holding it at different angles to see where the oil line is, and still get no joy. I'm still thinking there is enough oil, as the previous owner is adamant that it was full when he shipped it to me. He's been pretty honest about everything else about the car, both the good and the bad, so I tend to believe him. I just can't figure this one out. I'm hoping there is some trick I don't see to ensure the stick is pushed all the way in. I'll let you know, but, I'm concerned that now I've got 3 extra quarts in there. I'll drain the entire system and see how much is there.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
54vicky

what does the old owner say.surely he must of had a way of checking it.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Daves55Sedan

In 55/56, there were three different engine oil dipsticks among the engine offered. Ford full sized cars, the Y-blocks had the dipstick tube located in the front on the passenger side of the engine. The Thunderbird Y-blocks had the dipstick tube on the side of the engine near the middle of the block. The 223 I-block 6cyl engines had a very short dipstick tube on the driver side of the engine.
Could it be that someone mixed up their dipsticks and accidentally put a 6-cyl dipstick in your Y-block. If so, it will never register any oil on it.
Maybe it's a dipstick from a different car altogether.
Take photos of the very top and bottom of the dipstick and measure the length of the dipstick. Post that all on here and we can certainly tell you if it is the right dipstick.

OOOOPs, never mind. I didn't know someone swapped the engine with a 302.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Ford56

Talking Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
In 55/56, there were three different engine oil dipsticks among the engine offered. Ford full sized cars, the Y-blocks had the dipstick tube located in the front on the passenger side of the engine. The Thunderbird Y-blocks had the dipstick tube on the side of the engine near the middle of the block. The 223 I-block 6cyl engines had a very short dipstick tube on the driver side of the engine.
Could it be that someone mixed up their dipsticks and accidentally put a 6-cyl dipstick in your Y-block. If so, it will never register any oil on it.
Maybe it's a dipstick from a different car altogether.
Take photos of the very top and bottom of the dipstick and measure the length of the dipstick. Post that all on here and we can certainly tell you if it is the right dipstick.

OOOOPs, never mind. I didn't know someone swapped the engine with a 302.
Good suggestions all; but, I'm heading over to the neighborhood service shop to get it all drained out, and see how much is there. I suspect the dipstick is not reaching all the way down, or the oil is super clean and the shiny dipstick doesn't reflect it. Stay tuned
Old 10-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

I strongly suggest not driving it anywhere regardless of whether the crankcase has 3 quarts of oil or way overfilled with 8 quarts.
Just drain the oil pan into a large container, then dump one quart at a time into a 1 qt measuring cup. Count the number of quarts that you have.
Don't refill the crankcase with more than 5 quarts initially. Start and run the engine for one minute then shut-off. Add one quart for the oil filter (but you need to check that with the dipstick which is questionable at this time).
Old 10-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Okay, this is kindof MacGyverish, but you could easily make your own dipstick.
Fill the 302 with the proper amount of oil including the filter.
Grab a scrap length of 12 gage copper wire. Strip the insulation off of it. Stick the wire all the way down the dipstick tube till it hits the bottom of the oil pan. Cut the wire off about 2 inches above the top of the dipstick tube, slide a small fender washer down into the wire till it rests on top of the dipstick tube. Temporarily tape the washer on the wire with strips of duct tape. Coil the wire around at the top so it is easy to pull the wire out with your finger. Immediately identify the oil level on the wire and mark that spot with a file. The washer can be permanently attached if you wish by brazing it onto the wire or by using spring loaded wire clips above and below it.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Ford56

Smile Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Okay, this is kindof MacGyverish, but you could easily make your own dipstick.
Fill the 302 with the proper amount of oil including the filter.
Grab a scrap length of 12 gage copper wire. Strip the insulation off of it. Stick the wire all the way down the dipstick tube till it hits the bottom of the oil pan. Cut the wire off about 2 inches above the top of the dipstick tube, slide a small fender washer down into the wire till it rests on top of the dipstick tube. Temporarily tape the washer on the wire with strips of duct tape. Coil the wire around at the top so it is easy to pull the wire out with your finger. Immediately identify the oil level on the wire and mark that spot with a file. The washer can be permanently attached if you wish by brazing it onto the wire or by using spring loaded wire clips above and below it.
Anything involving duct tape is something I usually like
Your suggestion should work, and I might just do it or something like it.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
Ford56

Okay, so here is the status.... I took it to the neighborhood service shop, 10 blocks away, and told them to drain the oil. It sure looked clean, and looked like 8 quarts. Had them fill it back up w/5 quarts. Left the oil filter alone, since it was just changed 20 miles ago. We then tried to look at the dipstick, there was the very slightest sheen on it, nothing that I've ever seen before, and the mechanic couldn't see it either, other than we both know it has 5 quarts. There isn't any evidence of leaking on the bottom of the oil pan, valve gaskets, underside of the car, except for a very small, tiny really, leak by the rear main seal, nothing to worry about at all.
When I got it home, I tried the dipstick again in the garage, again no joy. Took it out side in the bright sunlight, still can't really see any level marker.
I asked the Consignment Dealer where I got the car from to ask the previous owner if he replaced the dipstick. I think that is what is going on, and the new one, all chromed up, somehow doesn't quite touch the bottom?
Anyway, for now, I'm going to monitor the underside of the car for any new leakage, and keep watching the oil pressure gauge. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
50fordcoupeman

Hi '56.........my avatar has a '77 302 in it. My dipstick is 31" long (no laughing guys) and it is 2 and 3/8" from the bottom of the stick to the full mark. The dipstick tube is 19 and 1/2" long as close as I can measure it. I run 6 qts. with filter change to bring it to the full mark. Hope this helps!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
Anteek29

Are you a club member? Find another similar Ford and compare dipsticks?
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post

...my dipstick is 31" long (no laughing guys).
... ... !!! Strut man ... Strut !!!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #19
KULTULZ

If you know what the engine came out of (year - model), you can find the PN in the MPC. Usually the catalog will also give you the engineering part number and that will allow you to walk a yard and possibly find the correct stick and tube.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
50fordcoupeman

Kul............thanks!! My dipstick has numbers on it which I assume would be the PN. Would that be of help to him?
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote