Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
L5wolvesf

Default Intro post

Hi all, new guy here so I figured I would do a little intro posting. I have a 1955 Ford Customline that I picked up in 2010. I’ve been looking for an active forum that deals with these cars and stumbled across this one and y’all seem to be pretty active and knowledgeable. I am also on the sister site Garage Journal. I had been on a Yahoo Group (Mac’s) but it seems to be deceased.

How I got the 55 is a kinda long odd-ish story (while looking at a VW) – I’ll post that up if anyone is interested. My dad had one of these (don’t know what year his was) but I got this because I thought his was a cool car. My dad drove me and some neighborhood kids to school in it back in the 60s.

Mine looks OK from a distance but it is pretty rough partly because prior owners did some mediocre work on it. The cost to bring it back as a good resto is likely beyond my budget. Because of that it will likely be a bit of a resto-mod like project. Whatever I do to it will need to be pretty much bolt on so that perhaps the next owner will be able to do a proper resto. I want to get it up and running and stopping nicely so I can go to car shows and cruises around the state.

It did run a few years back but life got in the way and I haven’t been able to get anything done on it. Once a couple of my cars are moved on it will be 55’s turn. Anyone here want a Mustang Mini-Stock oval track car?

It currently has a Y-block V8 and 3 in-the-tree. It runs OK but at some point I need to do a compression test to see if it stays or do I put a more modern engine in it – likely a 302. Before it was parked I did a carb (teapot) rebuild, and R & R’d the water and fuel pumps. The interior needs a complete redo – I may put the seats from a 90s or so Crown Vick in it.

The brakes are in rough shape so I’ve been researching doing an all Ford parts bolt in disc conversion. I hit a bit of a snag with finding compatible lower ball joints. It seems like the lowers are considerably different than later Ford LBJs. Also, considering the age and condition of the wiring a rewire and 12 volt conversion are on the “to do” list.

The pic is in the back yard where the prior owner had it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 Ford Customline (side).jpg (83.3 KB, 36 views)
L5wolvesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Intro post

Welcome to the Ford barn, and good luck with your project. A lot of knowledgeable people here.
Your car looks like it's a Customline model with the side trim and hood emblem removed.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
miker98038

Couple common ways on the front disc. One is the Granada spindles. I think the lower has to be reamed slightly to fit the early ford ball joint, but that’s not a big deal. Also lowers the car. A search here will turn up the particulars. The other option is squarebird, but they do use a GM caliper.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=91

There’s more kits, and probably a lot of info at the social group here for your year car.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
paul2748

Before just replacing the ball joints, make sure you check them out according to the shop manual. The ball joints on your front end were used on 54-57 Birds and 54-56 sedans as well as the entire run of Checker cabs. They were almost indestructible.

As far as a disc brake conversion, go with the aftermarket kits. Limiting yourself to just Ford parts (and I am a true blue Ford guy) you will miss out on some good kits. Besides, most of the kits do not require a spindle/ball joint change. The Granada/Monarch/Versailles conversion is a good choice for all Ford parts, but they are getting hard to find. With the Granada/Monarch units, you have to ream out the lower ball joint, not so on the Versailles so I am told.

By the way - your best friend is the shop manual - a must for working on these cars.

Last edited by paul2748; 10-08-2018 at 09:08 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Welcome to the Ford barn, and good luck with your project. A lot of knowledgeable people here.
Your car looks like it's a Customline model with the side trim and hood emblem removed.

Sal
Hi Sal, thank you. Yes it is a Customline model with the side trim and hood emblem poorly and unfortunately removed.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Couple common ways on the front disc. One is the Granada spindles. I think the lower has to be reamed slightly to fit the early ford ball joint, but that’s not a big deal. Also lowers the car. A search here will turn up the particulars. The other option is squarebird, but they do use a GM caliper.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=91

There’s more kits, and probably a lot of info at the social group here for your year car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Before just replacing the ball joints, make sure you check them out according to the shop manual. The ball joints on your front end were used on 54-57 Birds and 54-56 sedans as well as the entire run of Checker cabs. They were almost indestructible.

As far as a disc brake conversion, go with the aftermarket kits. Limiting yourself to just Ford parts (and I am a true blue Ford guy) you will miss out on some good kits. Besides, most of the kits do not require a spindle/ball joint change. The Granada/Monarch/Versailles conversion is a good choice for all Ford parts, but they are getting hard to find. With the Granada/Monarch units, you have to ream out the lower ball joint, not so on the Versailles so I am told.

By the way - your best friend is the shop manual - a must for working on these cars.
Thanks for the info guys I'm aware of the Granada/Monarch and Versailles conversions. I need to get back up to speed on them and start collecting parts.

I wasn't aware these Fords shared parts with Checkers interesting.

One of my first purchases after I got the 55 was a shop manual. Thank you
Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: Intro post

Quote:

The Granada/Monarch/Versailles conversion is a good choice for all Ford parts, but they are getting hard to find. With the Granada/Monarch units, you have to ream out the lower ball joint, not so on the Versailles so I am told.
GRANADA - VERSAILLES in reverse order. Have to ream LINC spindle.

Just Say No To Delco-Moraine!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Granada front disc brakes.
These popped up yesterday on FB Marketplace near me.
Not sure if I should get them or even what ballpark price range they could be in or what to offer.... They were only made for a few years, does the year matter?
Looks like upper control arms, springs, spindles and discs w/ calipers.

L5wolvesf - If you want them (depending on the price) I might be able to pick them up and meet you half way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Granada discs.jpg (113.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-10-2018 at 10:44 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Granada front disc brakes.
These popped up yesterday on FB Marketplace near me.
Not sure if I should get them or even what ballpark price range they could be in or what to offer.... They were only made for a few years, does the year matter?
Looks like upper control arms, springs, spindles and discs w/ calipers.

L5wolvesf - If you want them (depending on the price) I might be able to pick them up and meet you half way?
Hi D, possibly, see what the price is. Thank you.

I looked on car-part.com and there seems to be a good number of "Granada" spindles available but . . . When the results came up there were also Maverick and Mustang spindles listed. I'm not sure if it was a site glitch - I'll try again later or . . . if they are actually the same.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
dmsfrr

The seller asked me to make an offer.
I've never looked for them before and don't have a clue. Wouldn't want to offer too low and make him annoyed, and I only have the one photo to go by until I can go see them in person.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
paul2748

Sorry - your wrong - you have to ream the Granada/Monarch. I did the conversion on my 54 Ford, used a Granada unit, had to do the spindle. Everything I have read about the Versailles spindle, it is the correct size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
GRANADA - VERSAILLES in reverse order. Have to ream LINC spindle.

Just Say No To Delco-Moraine!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Intro post

Quote:

GRANADA - VERSAILLES in reverse order. Have to ream LINC spindle
Quote:

Sorry - your wrong - you have to ream the Granada/Monarch. I did the conversion on my 54 Ford, used a Granada unit, had to do the spindle.

Everything I have read about the Versailles spindle, it is the correct size.
I am wrong. I had MUST on my mind for some reason.

So sorry that I intruded and upset you.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
L5wolvesf

Quote:
The seller asked me to make an offer.
I've never looked for them before and don't have a clue. Wouldn't want to offer too low and make him annoyed, and I only have the one photo to go by until I can go see them in person. .
I wasn’t expecting this to come up so I’m not fully prepared. I looked over my past research and did a bit of reading on the Granada conversion and I still have more reading to do. My past research had me leaning toward an LTD conversion – mostly because of the bigger brakes (12” rotors) vs. others.

One thing about the Granada conversion is the size of the rotors evidently there are at least 2 diameters and possibly 3. When I do this I want it to be as optimal, stopping-wise (and budget-wise), as possible.

Another consideration is wheel bolt pattern. The 55 is 5 x 4.25 (108 mm), which seems to be an uncommon pattern. That means I would likely end up with 2 different bolt patterns (front v rear). I have not seen where anyone has addressed this – again I need to research further. One thing there is I have a nice set of steel 17” wheels I would kind of like to use; they are 5 x 114.3 a more popular pattern. I’ll need to research adapters.

If it isn’t a problem could you ask what the rotor diameter is? I believe the diameter was different based on the engine 6 vs. V8.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
dmsfrr

The wheel / lug-nut bolt pattern on my '55 (Bird) is 5 x 4.5, not 4.25
The 5 x 4.5 is very common for Ford wheels.

I'll see what I can find out about the diameter of the rotors, etc.

edit...
The parts store on the corner tells me the Granada front rotor hub assembly has an OD of 11.02, and no other sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 lug bolt circle dia (2).jpg (8.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-10-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Post Re: Intro post

Quote:

I'll see what I can find out about the diameter of the rotors, etc.

edit...

The parts store on the corner tells me the Granada front rotor hub assembly has an OD of 11.02, and no other sizes.
11" is V8 and 10" is I6.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
dmsfrr

I heard back from the seller and the disc's are 11 inch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
Thanks for the info guys I'm aware of the Granada/Monarch and Versailles conversions. I need to get back up to speed on them and start collecting parts.
. . .
Here's a thread from a few years back that mentions the Versailles...
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161170
Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
paul2748

All Fords ( except trucks) starting in 1949 up to the 80's had a 4.5 inch bolt pattern and some still have the same bolt pattern. Merc's were different up to a point, don't know where that is Lincoln used the 4.5 too, at least for certain years and models.

I have a space saver spare off a Lincoln and it is 4.5.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
paul2748

You didn't " intrude and upset" me. Just correcting a mistake. Don't take corrections personally, we all make them occasionally.

Quote:
I am wrong. I had MUST on my mind for some reason.

So sorry that I intruded and upset you.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #19
JeffB2

Another great forum to help you with upgrades is the 1952-59 Ford Social Group on the H.A.M.B. it has a HUGE information only file available it has been around since May of 2009.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #20
L5wolvesf

Quote:
All Fords ( except trucks) starting in 1949 up to the 80's had a 4.5 inch bolt pattern and some still have the same bolt pattern. Merc's were different up to a point, don't know where that is Lincoln used the 4.5 too, at least for certain years and models.

You’re right, I was using the 4 lug measurement procedure, duh – my bad. Thank you
Old 10-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #21
L5wolvesf

Quote:
I heard back from the seller and the disc's are 11 inch.

Here's a thread from a few years back that mentions the Versailles...
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161170
11 inch is good. Could you see if he will get pics of the rotors to see if they are smooth or gouged?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #22
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Another great forum to help you with upgrades is the 1952-59 Ford Social Group on the H.A.M.B. it has a HUGE information only file available it has been around since May of 2009.
Thank you, I've found some info on HAMB - I'm going to sign up there.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
mercman from oz

Your car is nearly identical to the Australian 1955 Ford Customline that was illustrated on the original Post Card that was issued by Ford Australia. This was the only model 1955 Ford that was offered in Australia beside the Mainline Ute. They all came with the new 272 OHV Y Block and standard Three Speed Manual Transmission. The only choice that a new car buyer got was what colour he wanted. We were not spoiled like buyers in the USA where buyers got many body styles in three series to choose from.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #24
Lanny

Quote:

===============================================

FULL SIZE Custom, Galaxie, T-Bird.
'73-'78 15×6 wheel 5lug×127mm (5 inch) bolt circle.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #25
paul2748

I stand corrected - not all.

[OTE=Lanny;1684418]===============================================
FULL SIZE Custom, Galaxie, T-Bird.
'73-'78 15×6 wheel 5lug×127mm (5 inch) bolt circle.

.[/QUOTE]