Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #41
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Model A cross-country migration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Just to add to what Redbird said, check all the tires. Many antique cars have very old tires.

I was amused by a recent story in the one of the club magazines. A guy took a long trip in his woody with old Garfield tires on it. I think he had to replace all the tires on the trip. What was he thinking?
He probably watched "The World's Fastest Indian", then went out and bought a can of black shoe polish!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #42
jquinlan

In August I drove 6000 miles (total) to retrieve a beautiful 1928 Model 'A' Closed cab pickup. I left from the Tampa area of Florida and drove to Reno pulling an open car hauler trailer. It was a long drive but worth it to be able to spend the day with the very cool man who owned it and his also very cool wife. They drove that Model 'A' on the Alaskan Hwy to Alaska once and also drove it all the way across the United States and back. They restored 34 Model 'A's over the years as a hobby.

After 25 years it's good owning a Model 'A' again. Good luck with your new purchase and looking forward to hearing about your adventure. And welcome to the world of owning a Model 'A'.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #43
WHN

Have the car shipped.

Spend next spring getting to know your new car.

Then you can plan a very nice trip in your Model A. One of hopefully many. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #44
Brian SATX

Any update on this adventure?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #45
Synchro909

Not sure I would want to own a car, Model A included that I didn't feel confident I could drive that far. I understand that the car is new to the OP but his decision to drive it that far shows confidence in his decision to buy that particular car.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #46
Hoovercw

My envy has no measure. Good luck and keep us updated.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #47
StockyM

So here's the latest. My friend made a Facebook page so you can follow along if you're interested since we weren't sure how to update the forum on the road. https://www.facebook.com/Rambling-Ma...ref=your_pages The transmission oil and diff oil were changed today and the wheel bearings packed. We fly out tomorrow night and will begin our journey on the 25th. I joined the American Model A Club but as I am not real savvy on the computer have not found the member roster I was hoping to obtain for contacts along the way. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Will do my best to keep you up to date and will have a full update on my return. Either about the car trip or how much it cost to for the tow and the U-Haul.
StockyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #48
StockyM

If the link doesn't work its Rambling Matts Garage.
StockyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #49
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockyM View Post
So here's the latest. My friend made a Facebook page so you can follow along if you're interested since we weren't sure how to update the forum on the road. https://www.facebook.com/Rambling-Ma...ref=your_pages The transmission oil and diff oil were changed today and the wheel bearings packed. We fly out tomorrow night and will begin our journey on the 25th. I joined the American Model A Club but as I am not real savvy on the computer have not found the member roster I was hoping to obtain for contacts along the way. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Will do my best to keep you up to date and will have a full update on my return. Either about the car trip or how much it cost to for the tow and the U-Haul.
Good for you! Down with the naysayers and full speed ahead!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 AM   #50
Bill G

Nay sayer or not, he's got more guts than I do! Good Luck!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #51
Ed in Maine

Get a copy of the Model A Club Directory so that you will have people along the way to help you. Roger is going to get you started, maybe others along the route can be looking for you, maybe a home cooked meal! Good Luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #52
tagroff

Good Luck Matt have liked your page on Facebook to follow along...Enjoy your adventure..

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #53
30 Closed Cab PU

Good luck,

Hopefully someone here can provide you the info on the roster. I know the Model A Restorers Club (MARC) sells their roster for $18 + shipping/handling in the back of their Model A News magazine. I do not know if you have to be a member of the club to purchase.

Final bit of advice. If you have a Moto Meter or Temperature Gauge, you can use a piece of cardboard to partially block the radiator to keep the motor at a decent operating temperature. Will also help giving you some cabin heat if your have a heater.

Am looking forward to reading on results/progress. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #54
30 Closed Cab PU

Here is a link to the Mafca Chapter info, click on the state on the map and you get chapter contact info. Appears they do not have a master national roster list available. perhaps if you contact Mafca or a chapter directly there is a national roster available to Mafca members.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #55
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Here is a link to the Mafca Chapter info, click on the state on the map and you get chapter contact info. Appears they do not have a master national roster list available. perhaps if you contact Mafca or a chapter directly there is a national roster available to Mafca members.
Adding the link

http://www.mafca.com/chapters_list.html
Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #56
P.S.

Thank you for doing the facebook page so we can follow along!

Before you depart, I have a couple of observations:

First, from the picture, it appears as though the motometer has been installed facing the wrong direction. Turn it 180 degrees so the entire thermometer is visible from the driver's seat.

Second, it appears as though rusty coolant has gushed down the front of the apron at least once in the recent past. Check your coolant level often, and consider flushing the cooling system.

Check lug nut tightness several times along your journey.

Good luck. I pray you stay safe.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #57
Big hammer

This reminds me of my first car purchase an A. Only 120 miles from home, a fresh overhauled engine needed to stay below 30mph. 50 miles from the purchase I bounced over a railroad crossing and it just quit dead as a door nail. After a few minutes turned the key back on and it started finished the trip. I had no tools, spare parts, or books and that sudden stoppage had me scared @&$% less. Good Luck and be careful! Must importantly have fun and enjoy!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #58
junk yard kid

I would get one of those slow moving vehicle orange triangle things. Maybe also carry a couple of those compressed fire logs. Just incase its cold on the side of the road.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #59
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Yes they have a member list. It's called a "Membership Roster 2016" You will have to call and talk to them and must be a member of MAFCA Their phone number is 562-697-2712 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Pacific time.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #60
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk yard kid View Post
I would get one of those slow moving vehicle orange triangle things. Maybe also carry a couple of those compressed fire logs. Just incase its cold on the side of the road.
It will be a long slow ride if he hangs one of those SMV signs on the back!
Those signs are only for tractors and equipment that don't go over 25 MPH. This is the law in most states. Iowa has raised it to 35 MPH. and some states are considering 40, as tractors are getting faster, I guess. But if you hang an SMV emblem on a car going 40-55, you confuse people and create a dangerous situation!