Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 1955 ford with a 302 engine

My previous post was getting to full so I am starting a new thread on my 55 ford wagon.I had to quit working on it for a little while cause I was putting new lighting in my work shop.I'm pretty sure you guys remember the over heating problem I was having with it, since I posted the problem in my other post.Today I installed the new radiator that I had ordered for it.Keep in mind that besides the Rad,I have a new water pump,a new 180 thermostat,a new thermostat housing,and new upper and lower Rad.hoses. I did not take it on the road yet but I did run the engine here at the shop and after it ran for about 15 minutes,the temperature got to 215 degrees. I understand it was at stand still but should it run that hot? I went ahead and shut the engine off and there was no coolant spilled out anywhere. I also put the infra red temp.gun on the rad.and it was at 210 degrees. If you guys think this is ok,I think I will take it for a ride on Saturday and see if it runs cooler while on the road since the rad.will be getting some air while driving.
Thank you guys for all your help.As usuall,I appreciate it very much.
Mando
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: 1955 ford with a 302 engine

There must be an air flow problem. I had a 302 in a 54, and it never got hot in eleven years. Drove it from Canada to the top of Pikes Peak down through Texas where the local bank sign said 106 degrees. They will cool if everything is right. Fan belt tight? Fan bolted on correctly? Panel in front of radiator installed? Do you have a reverse rotation water pump?
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
50fordcoupeman

Just taking a stab here...........the 302 in my avatar never heats up. Not considering the different shape of the front end, the only thing I can see different is that I am running a six bladed flex fan. I am assuming timing, fuel air ratio, etc has all been checked. What year of 302 is it?
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
Just taking a stab here...........the 302 in my avatar never heats up. Not considering the different shape of the front end, the only thing I can see different is that I am running a six bladed flex fan. I am assuming timing, fuel air ratio, etc has all been checked. What year of 302 is it?
Poolplayer...............google Badasscars.com. They have a very good article as to why cars-esp 302s-run hot.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
miker98038

Don and 50 have hit the major points. Do you have a fan shroud and a decent fan? The shroud is a much bigger deal than most realize, better to cover the whole radiator than just the “fan circle”. But even that helps if the fan 1/2 to 2/3’s into the shroud. Opinions vary on that. I’m also a big fan of Hayden clutch fan drives if you’ve got room for it. But with proper shrouds I’m able to cool my Y blocks even with electric fans due to lack of clearance.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Don and 50 have hit the major points. Do you have a fan shroud and a decent fan? The shroud is a much bigger deal than most realize, better to cover the whole radiator than just the “fan circle”. But even that helps if the fan 1/2 to 2/3’s into the shroud. Opinions vary on that. I’m also a big fan of Hayden clutch fan drives if you’ve got room for it. But with proper shrouds I’m able to cool my Y blocks even with electric fans due to lack of clearance.
Right on Miker.......the article talks a lot about air movement!!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
miker98038

Your second post came up while I was writing. But it’s right. You cool almost anything if the airflow is there. I’ve got a lot of miles in motor homes pulling the 12% grade on the Siskiyous in 90 degree weather. Front engine gasoline, you can hear the clutch fan come on and watch the temp level out. It might level at 230, but it didn’t boil over.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #8
dmsfrr

My apologies if these two thoughts were already covered...

Don't the newer 302's have a reverse rotation water pump? Did something accidentally get mixed up when parts were getting changed?

Have the heads been off?
If the head gaskets got put on backwards I've been told it blocks some water passages to the heads.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
Ford blue blood

[QUOTE=dmsfrr;1672149

Don't the newer 302's have a reverse rotation water pump? Did something accidentally get mixed up when parts were getting changed?

[/QUOTE]

Yes and the CW pump will bolt up to the CCW housing and vs - vs. Should move water if turning the wrong direction.

Another consideration, if you are running the stock fan. Good friend and fellow Ford freak installed a 1986 302 into his 67 Ranchero. He used most of the 67 stuff (carb, intake, distributor, and such) but kept the serpentine accessory drive. A/C would not work, spent months troubleshooting, part swapping, discharge/charge the system. One day while helping him I was standing in front of the car and felt the hot air blowing on my legs. Knew immediately what his problem was. The fan was turning in the wrong direction. Put an after market CCW fan on the truck and all is well.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
reman

I did not go back ans re read your first post, so I may be repetitious.........a few thoughts, Bad water pump, wrong fan, wrong rotation, hoses sucking together, bad or stuck thermostat, slipping belt, cracked head, engine timing, to mention a few and these are assuming the heads have never been off. Hope you find the culprit.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
poolplayer1

Thanks to all for your good suggestions.The motor is from a 68 galaxie.We overhauled it as soon as I bought it.Everything is new other than the block.This happened quite a few years back.I did not drive it much cause I was always busy working long hours. The new water pump is a new one,not reconditioned and its for the 68 ford galaxie.Its a CW rotation pump which is what is needed on this engine.It uses only one belt and its a new V belt.Nice and tight.Just for the heck of it,I took the first new water pump to the parts house and told them it was a bad one.They gave me a new one again and that's what in there right now.I did this just in case the first WP was bad.I have the timing set at 10 degrees BTDC.I have a new vacuum advance cause the old one was not working right.It had been running great until the bottom radiator hose came loose and leaked all the water out as I was parking in the front of my house.The fan is a 6 blade original fan.It turns CW.While I was waiting for the new rad.to come in,I went ahead and put a rebuilt kit in the 2100 carburetor.That is working good.One thing I need to mention,the fan is 2 1/2" away from the radiator and I don't have a shroud on it. I think the reason for this fan being farther away is because of the new water pump.The impeller shaft on the new pump is a little shorter than the one on the old pump.Do you think I should put a spacer on the water pump?Thanks for all your help.You guys are very kind and supportive.
Mando
Old 09-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
5851a

The water pump timing cover and fan clutch assembly need to match. Lots on the web about this. When using factory parts the fan and pulley from one to the other will not bolt up from what I have tried, but when you use aftermarket universal comes to mind. Fan shroud and airflow or direction of airflow is important. Along with shroud should have some type of seal or baffle on the top of rad to hood to keep air from getting pushed back forward and recycled through radiator. Small block Ford is a very good engine, never had one that overheated with all the proper parts used. Last worse experience was with Lincoln Town Car sitting at road block in Texas from accident. 118 degrees for an hour with AC on and it never boiled over, I was impressed.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
50fordcoupeman

PP.........my fan is 1" from the rad. No shroud but I have a 1.5" spacer. Have you tried no thermostat? Is this a new problem or just since the overhaul? Thinking maybe head gaskets are installed wrong?? Grasping for ideas here.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
1931flathead

did you get it hot enough to crack a head
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
50fordcoupeman

PP.......google "Why does my ford 302 heat up". Then scroll down to the title "My engine over heats, what should I be looking for". The article is by "badasscars" and is very good. Just might give you some hints as to what is happening.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
poolplayer1

Thank you guys for your advice and help. Since the overhaul its been running great.This just happened all of a sudden. I have never got it hot enough to crack a head. When the bottom rad.hose came off,i was only 20 feet from my house so I drove it home and parked it.Let it cool off and then put the hose back in.I think I'm going to put a spacer on the fan to get it close to the radiator and than try again.I'm also going to read up on the posts that badass has and maybe get some more ideas from there.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
Ford blue blood

Safe to assume the lower hose has a spring in it? If not the lower hose could collapse and restrict flow.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
38 Conv

PICTURES of fan--shroud-- year 302-- thermostat degree

DO you have CORRECT rotation water pump for 302 engine--standard clockwise--reverse--heater hoses get hot is it circulating--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-eng fin 1.jpg (88.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PULLEYS FIN 2.jpg (91.4 KB, 30 views)
38 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #19
1931flathead

You have to find out why the hose blew off
You have other problems I'm guessing you blew a head gasket or head went bad
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #20
Ole Don

Put a fan spacer on to get the fan to one inch or less from the radiator.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote