Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
Synchro909

Default Windy in Florida

On tonight's news, I saw that a BIG hurricane is brewing off Florida and will hit soon. To folks in that part of the world, stay safe.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Mulletwagon

Default Re: Windy in Florida

Yep, and Melbourne (Florida that is) lies directly in the Hurricane Dorian crosshairs. At Cat 4, this is going to be a bad one. Will be thinking about all the Barners on the Florida east coast as they hunker down for the big one. Would encourage any new Floridians close to the shore who have not been through a hurricane to get on I95 today. The day before landfall is always pandamonium. The storm surge is expected to be especially bad and that is the real killer. May good judgment prevail and all make it through safely.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

Whats the difference between a divorce in Arkansas and a Florida hurricane?

Not much,either way you lose the trailer..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
texas webb

Funny.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Yep, and Melbourne (Florida that is) lies directly in the Hurricane Dorian crosshairs. At Cat 4, this is going to be a bad one. Will be thinking about all the Barners on the Florida east coast as they hunker down for the big one. Would encourage any new Floridians close to the shore who have not been through a hurricane to get on I95 today. The day before landfall is always pandamonium. The storm surge is expected to be especially bad and that is the real killer. May good judgment prevail and all make it through safely.
NO wind expected in this Melbourne and that's OK by me.
I recall back in the days of paper airline tickets, a passenger from here had trouble at the check in when his ticket was for Melbourne to Melbourne, return.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Not good.

At least with a tornado, it is rarely more than about 50-75 yards wide, blows thru and in minutes is gone. Unless it is an F-4 or F-5 usually skips back up into the clouds relatively soon after it touches down. The actual odds of getting hit are kinda slim.

A hurricane, there is damage miles wide and for a long distance. Storm surge, tremendous winds, torrential rain. After the first blast hits you and the 'eye' passes and gives you some reprieve the other side comes blasting in and nails you again.

The big Hurricane that hit Long Island in 1938, ever see the film footage with all of the Model A's and Early V-8's trashed?

You Fordbarners and all antique and collectible car owners down there, stay safe and good luck to you
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Forddan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Not good.

At least with a tornado, it is rarely more than about 50-75 yards wide, blows thru and in minutes is gone. Unless it is an F-4 or F-5 usually skips back up into the clouds relatively soon after it touches down. The actual odds of getting hit are kinda slim.

A hurricane, there is damage miles wide and for a long distance. Storm surge, tremendous winds, torrential rain. After the first blast hits you and the 'eye' passes and gives you some reprieve the other side comes blasting in and nails you again.

The big Hurricane that hit Long Island in 1938, ever see the film footage with all of the Model A's and Early V-8's trashed?

You Fordbarners and all antique and collectible car owners down there, stay safe and good luck to you

https://youtu.be/7rRP8gT9jKs

https://youtu.be/7b21g-5YBLs

Last edited by Forddan; 08-30-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:20 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Now that it is a day later it look like South Carolina will be hit and Florida will only see a "little" wind and rain on the "clean" side of the storm.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 AM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Now that it is a day later it look like South Carolina will be hit and Florida will only see a "little" wind and rain on the "clean" side of the storm.
Good news/bad news - depends where you are, I guess.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
updraught

Good luck to those in Nova Scotia this weekend ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #11
fundytides

I am in New Brunswick Canada, next to Nova Scotia. It is 10:00am here and I have everything battened down. Wind and rain is just beginning and is supposed to worsen as the day goes on. I was scheduled to go to Digby Nova Scotia this morning on the Fundy Rose (ferry) with my grandson to attend a gun show but at least the return ferry has been cancelled due to the incoming storm so we didn't go. The Bay of Fundy is one of the most treacherous bodies of water in the world and with these storms that come up the Eastern seaboard can act like a giant funnel. Several years ago, in early February, we had a storm know as the "Groundhog storm". I live about 5 miles from the coast and the windows on one end of my hose were permanently pitted by the salt spray. After the rain and wind started to die down, the temperature dropped to well below freezing. Utility poles fell like matchsticks. Isn't nature grand! Stay safe everyone.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #12
updraught

We were supposed to be on the ferry from Sydney, Nova Scotia with our hire car to Newfoundland right now for the 7 hour trip.
The car insurance doesn't cover being on the ferry as it is, even on a good day.

Instead we are dooms day prepin' like everyone else.

http://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2019-dorian
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
CHuDWah

We had some on-and-off rain and wind, probably up to 50 mph or so - that's just a stiff breeze around here.

There's a disturbance around the Cape Verde islands that we're keeping an eye on - it's headed west but current tracks show it going south of FL.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 09-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote