Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #21
100IH

Default Re: Club Thinning

Consider the housing market.Young couples can't afford to buy a house to live in or have kids until they are in their forties. A's have gone up a fair amount but the relative cost of doing a restoration has far out paced costs in the recent past and the number of knowledgeable technicians with experience has dropped with higher prices. We all know that you can't do it right and not loose your butt. On the other hand cars being sold often are being sold by a "cover the faults" type person where most all internals are someone else's junk junk and bondo is the way to fool em. Most of what is available at swap meets is trash. Anything worth using likely is an estate sale and has been saved for 40 or 50 years and certain types in clubs will scoop it up before the widow gets home from the funeral and none of it will ever become available to the young new members. Too many have tasted sour grapes when building an engine or a brake job costs way more than one could buy 4 or 5 complete cars 20 years ago. I have played with A's 50 years and then some and I can't get off the ground with 2 same body type cars that were going to be combined to make one. It's a guaranteed loss. 30 or 40 thousand dollar bills adds up to way over $40K. all to make a car to sell for half of the investment. My driver that goes back to high school days needs the fuel tank leaks fixed and just recently lost the only place that could do the work at any price. Now that's 3 cars to be parted out and taken to the swaps and actually there only hot rod junk at our local swap.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #22
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
Consider the housing market.Young couples can't afford to buy a house to live in or have kids until they are in their forties. A's have gone up a fair amount but the relative cost of doing a restoration has far out paced costs in the recent past and the number of knowledgeable technicians with experience has dropped with higher prices. We all know that you can't do it right and not loose your butt. On the other hand cars being sold often are being sold by a "cover the faults" type person where most all internals are someone else's junk junk and bondo is the way to fool em. Most of what is available at swap meets is trash. Anything worth using likely is an estate sale and has been saved for 40 or 50 years and certain types in clubs will scoop it up before the widow gets home from the funeral and none of it will ever become available to the young new members. Too many have tasted sour grapes when building an engine or a brake job costs way more than one could buy 4 or 5 complete cars 20 years ago. I have played with A's 50 years and then some and I can't get off the ground with 2 same body type cars that were going to be combined to make one. It's a guaranteed loss. 30 or 40 thousand dollar bills adds up to way over $40K. all to make a car to sell for half of the investment. My driver that goes back to high school days needs the fuel tank leaks fixed and just recently lost the only place that could do the work at any price. Now that's 3 cars to be parted out and taken to the swaps and actually there only hot rod junk at our local swap.
Other than that, things are OK?

Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #23
ronn

HAHAHA! thanks Dick Steinkamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needed a good morning chuckle.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
ronn

how about asking some young people what they want!

MORE TEA! MORE TEA! MORE TEA!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #25
Jim Baskin III Pa.

The experience here in Pennsylvania has been the opposite.In June 2017 I received a letter from a fellow model A enthusiast that wanted to start a club.He contacted MARC and the next thing we know we have 5 prospective model A owners to start such a club. We organized the West Branch A's. We meet in Williamsport once a month which is centrally located as we have members that live 40-50mile away. In about 2yrs we are at 30 members and have been able to recruit younger members and continue to grow as we become more known.Over all It has been a exciting journey and we basically have become one big family.

We are looking forward to growth and companionship that such a club brings.

West Branch A's President
Jim Baskin III
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Jim, we are planning our trip to Amish Country, Berlin, OH next August. It would be great if you could join us, Oakleaf. Your trip there would be a little longer that ours from Michigan, but you should be able to make it in one day. You are welcome if you can make it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #27
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Baskin III Pa. View Post
The experience here in Pennsylvania has been the opposite.In June 2017 I received a letter from a fellow model A enthusiast that wanted to start a club.He contacted MARC and the next thing we know we have 5 prospective model A owners to start such a club.
This is a pretty key point. I know there are enough owners within 30 minutes of me that we could start a club, but no one is stepping up to start it. It's a serious time commitment, at least if you want to do it well. I'd be willing to be someone's assistant, but that's my limit until the kids are a little older.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #28
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Jim, we are planning our trip to Amish Country, Berlin, OH next August. It would be great if you could join us, Oakleaf. Your trip there would be a little longer that ours from Michigan, but you should be able to make it in one day. You are welcome if you can make it.

Jack,I will bring your Oakleaf trip up at our next meeting which is Jan 2020 Thanks for the invite.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 AM   #29
Fordfan29

If the club is too far away, start your own club closer to home. This happened 42 years ago with our club in Oregon and we have an aging but active membership. The young members are 35 or older. All it takes is enthused and willing members.

The MAFCA "Events Kit" is available free of charge and it works! Just add at least one enthusiastic member to sell the hobby at this display and include a Model A in the display so people can see & touch the car.

Make it fun and people will want to be part of it.
Fordfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:23 AM   #30
redmodelt

Not saying you have to be a clearing house for prospective members, but above post is a great reason to say where you are located. There could be people that don't that there is even a club in the area. While I am not a member of any of the Portland/Vancouver Model A clubs, I sure could point them in the right direction if someone asked.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #31
Mulletwagon

Great comments and I agree with all of them. If survival and expansion of a club is the goal, attracting youth is the key – and the challenge. The evolution of youth culture development and the activities that hold kids’ interest have changed. There are many exceptions, but in general, teenagers and young adults do not work on cars, boys do not play sandlot baseball, nobody makes model cars or airplanes, and kids spend most of their free time indoors rather than outdoors. Not to say this is wrong, it is just the new normal. All too often I have observed Junior inheriting Grandpa’s Army .45, gold pocket watch, musical instrument, and classic car only to sell it all to buy the latest computer games. What has not changed is these are still good kids that are largely influenced by the environment and their peers. Perhaps these classical interests are disappearing into obscurity because kids are not exposed to them. If that is the case, we can help propagate the Model A hobby by making the effort to introduce youth to this most notable automotive icon and the remarkable story behind it. As so many have suggested, those kids who take an interest today will be the ones to carry the Model A into the future, and in the process, ensure Model As are running long after the Starship Enterprise is mothballed.

Just one final thought. While the boys are spending countless unrecoverable hours playing computer games, the girls are moving out smartly. The majority of college students are female and the ladies are moving into leadership positions in business, industry, government, and the military. We have one especially talented gal in our club who is an expert on Ford history and a fully capable mechanic. A future source of club members may also be young ladies; and they will be welcomed.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #32
SteveB31

The original author of this post Ned’s to remember that likely all 100 cars are still there. But only 33 of those car owners are in the club. You need to find the other 67 car owners and see why they aren’t in the club. Many have touched on reasons why, but a simple solution is to find the cars, and you will find the current owner of those cars.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Great comments and I agree with all of them. If survival and expansion of a club is the goal, attracting youth is the key – and the challenge. The evolution of youth culture development and the activities that hold kids’ interest have changed. There are many exceptions, but in general, teenagers and young adults do not work on cars, boys do not play sandlot baseball, nobody makes model cars or airplanes, and kids spend most of their free time indoors rather than outdoors. Not to say this is wrong, it is just the new normal.

I'm not saying that I disagree with your comment in red, but my differing thoughts are based on me being involved in the Model-A hobby for all of my life of nearly 60 years. My father was a co-founder of the Houston Model-A club in 1964 when he was 32 years old. Dad started collecting and restoring Model-As a few years prior to that date. From my observations in these 55 years of being around the Model-A club, Model-A club participation has never been a Youth hobby however it has always survived as each generation 'aged out' and new 'older people' stepped in to fill the void.

I do agree with you regarding involving youth ...however, my view is that it is not the responsibility of the Model-A club to get youth involved in Model-As, but it is the responsibility of a (grand)parent to involve these youth in Model-As outside of the club. Do it on a level that the young person builds a bond or an affection with the car itself, --and not the club. The reason I am in my profession today is because as a kid, I spent time with my father and so I was involved with Model-A. Because my passion was formed with me as a kid working beside my mentor, I later turned my father's hobby into my living. I dare say that Steve Becker was a product of the same environment. IMO, the key to growing the Model-A hobby is not getting young people involved as a member on the club level. The key is making the club something that attracts someone/anyone to want to participate with that group. It will never matter whether that participant is young or old as long as they are having fun. Face the obvious, most young people become old, and the older we get, the more our desires and interests change. The Model-A club has always attracted older participants, but the people who were kids back in the 60s (-who had no interest in Model-As back then) have become Model-A owners of today. Many Model-A owners of today have no mechanical background or experience ...and this does not curtail them from being involved in the hobby.

My belief is, -show me a club that is losing club membership or participation, and you likely will find a club that is stale and lacking in leadership. Make it a venue where a hobbyist makes it a priority in his/her life to participate, and the enthusiasm of those participants will make the club grow.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #34
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
........ Anything worth using likely is an estate sale and has been saved for 40 or 50 years and certain types in clubs will scoop it up before the widow gets home from the funeral and none of it will ever become available to the young new members.....

.......My driver that goes back to high school days needs the fuel tank leaks fixed and just recently lost the only place that could do the work at any price.
It is true that parts get hoarded, but all the good parts get sent to the crusher when the hoarder dies, so people like me have to make do with utter rejects.

As for your fuel tank, have you considered putting a more modern tank inside it with openings that are exactly at the fuel filler, gas gauge, and outlet points?

It should look the part & function just as well.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Just one final thought. While the boys are spending countless unrecoverable hours playing computer games, the girls are moving out smartly.
A future source of club members may also be young ladies; and they will be welcomed.
Most people i know don't think they have a choice about the games. In a world that spits in your face & slashes your tired every day, games are their only refuge.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable

Last edited by dumb person; 11-12-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: A thought i had while brushing my teeth.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #35
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
The original author of this post Ned’s to remember that likely all 100 cars are still there. But only 33 of those car owners are in the club. You need to find the other 67 car owners and see why they aren’t in the club. Many have touched on reasons why, but a simple solution is to find the cars, and you will find the current owner of those cars.
Our club is very good about seeking out new Model A s and talking to their new owners in our area. We have a club workshop wher we help repair members cars.
Usually new owners are thrilled that someone would help them get started.
We get many new members by working on their cars. They learn about ther A
and soon they are helping other new members.

John
Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #36
31 Woody

I grew up the son of a Model A club member and enthusiast/parts hoarder (sorry Dad!). But being a mid-60’s baby—when it was time for a car, I wanted a Mustang. It didn’t mean I didn’t like Model A’s, I just wanted a more practical daily driver for high school and college. I still love Mustangs and have several, but at least 10 years ago, I made it clear I wanted a Model A and Dad came through.

I am a member of a Model A club and have no plans of being in a Mustang club any time soon. My reasons are:
- Mustang clubs consisted of car show people. They wanted to sit in a lawn chair in a parking lot most Saturdays. When there was a tour, I tried my best to participate. I did a few shows, but yuck, I would rather be in the garage or driving.
- judged shows consisted of spectators voting for the best chrome or show participants voting for the best chrome. Nah, not what I want either.
- Working on cars - I like working on my cars. The Mustang Club I was in last consisted of 99% people who paid others to work on their cars. Nope, I can’t learn anything from that other than having a fat wallet might make my car nicer.
- Food - Mustang clubbers like food as do Model A club people, so that is a push. We all have to eat and it is a chance to talk cars—but I don’t want to hear how much you paid someone to work on your car while we eat, tell me how you did something or how to fix something on my car (Knowledge)
- Memories of Model A’s: Tours, roadside seminars, members restoring their cars, members doing amazing reconstructive surgery on stuff that probably should have been replaced: every one of those provided learning/knowledge if I was paying any attention. And if it was a tour, we did something fun as a family. Model A’s were a family affair, I grew up riding in one and wanted my kids to do the same—good memories.

Where do I think we are missing it? If younger people use social media, it needs to be part of our club in some way. I would love a club Social Media where the experienced members could consult with me with their opinions, we could share events, plan get togethers, and just offer support and friendship. To get those today, I have to call specific people or go to the club breakfast and seek out experience. I am learning, it sure isn’t a Mustang when it is repair time.

This forum is great—I can post something and get 6 bits of advice in a few hours. But my family doesn’t get anything from it. The family fun/memories are important too. A social media presence would help me know of local events coming up or what we missed. If local A owners were going, I could coordinate with them/participate together—strength in numbers and comradarie. With Social Media it is so easy provide pictures, advice, information, many things.