Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default U Joint Housing

Getting ready to reinstall the rear axle but feel intimidated by that erector set U Joint housing. Between the main shell, retention halves, gaskets, felt strips, and FAM bracket, there must be a proper assembly procedure to minimize the possibility of grease/oil leaks. Welcome any recommendations.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: U Joint Housing

Before you install the rear axle assembly make sure that the U-joint housing bolt pattern matches the bolt pattern of the rear bearing retainer on the transmission. There is an early and a late. The early configuration has the bolt pattern non-symmetrical, the later is symmetrical. It doesn't matter which you have as long as all four components have the same bolt pattern. Henry Ford purposely did this to confuse and confound the next 100 years of Model A enthusiast.

The modern day gasket set has two of the holes slotted to accommodate both.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Before you install the rear axle assembly make sure that the U-joint housing bolt pattern matches the bolt pattern of the rear bearing retainer on the transmission. There is an early and a late. The early configuration has the bolt pattern non-symmetrical, the later is symmetrical. It doesn't matter which you have as long as all four components have the same bolt pattern. Henry Ford purposely did this to confuse and confound the next 100 years of Model A enthusiast.

The modern day gasket set has two of the holes slotted to accommodate both.

Tom Endy
Thanks Tom. My bolt holes are symmetrical but that explains the two oblong holes in the gaskets.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
whirnot

I use permatex gasket sealer on this. I put the gasket on both sides of the inner cup, and let it dry overnight, that way the gasket won't move. Then, put sealer on the back of the transmission and install the cup and hold it in place with two bolts, one on each side, with the nut towards the rear. The rear end can now be moved into position, the drive line inserted, and moved forward as much as possible. Remove the two bolts, and finish sliding the rear end in place. Put sealer on the bottom clam shell half, and install it. At this time I pump the cavity full of grease, you will see it come out the inner cup holes.
Sealer on the top clam shell half, and install it as well. Tighten all the clam shell bolts, then install the FAM .
Just my method, but it works for me. Just did it a couple weeks ago installing a Mitchel OD.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I use permatex gasket sealer on this. I put the gasket on both sides of the inner cup, and let it dry overnight, that way the gasket won't move. Then, put sealer on the back of the transmission and install the cup and hold it in place with two bolts, one on each side, with the nut towards the rear. The rear end can now be moved into position, the drive line inserted, and moved forward as much as possible. Remove the two bolts, and finish sliding the rear end in place. Put sealer on the bottom clam shell half, and install it. At this time I pump the cavity full of grease, you will see it come out the inner cup holes.
Sealer on the top clam shell half, and install it as well. Tighten all the clam shell bolts, then install the FAM .
Just my method, but it works for me. Just did it a couple weeks ago installing a Mitchel OD.
This procedure seems like the way to go. Especially like the pre-pasting of gaskets with Permatex to glue them in place !

Noticed the inner cup has two lateral holes, probably to support lubrication. Should those holes be oriented left and right, or up and down ? Thinking up and down would support lubrication to the upper junction of the torque tube flare and cup. Watcha think ?
Old 12-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
macdonge

FAM bracket?? Forgive my ignorance but what is that? Thx
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonge View Post
FAM bracket?? Forgive my ignorance but what is that? Thx
That is part of the Float A Motor kit that consists of a bracket that attaches to the U Joint housing and perches on the crossmember above it.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
macdonge

Got it. Thanks Mulletwagon. I don't use a FAM so it didn't click right away!
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
This procedure seems like the way to go. Especially like the pre-pasting of gaskets with Permatex to glue them in place !

Noticed the inner cup has two lateral holes, probably to support lubrication. Should those holes be oriented left and right, or up and down ? Thinking up and down would support lubrication to the upper junction of the torque tube flare and cup. Watcha think ?
Mine are oriented left and right. With a non symmetrical pattern, it the only way it fits. I make sure to put enough grease in thereb to come out these holes.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Mine are oriented left and right. With a non symmetrical pattern, it the only way it fits. I make sure to put enough grease in thereb to come out these holes.
Thanks Bill, that solves the mystery. I'll install with holes left and right.