Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
ford-m

Default LeBaron Bonney mess up

Last edited by ford-m; 12-12-2016 at 07:42 PM.
ford-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: LeBaron Bonney mess up

Did you speak directly with someone from LB in person ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"very reputable parts dealer"

there have been a lot of changes at that concern......

the Eisenglass they sent me was the cheapest chinese crap you'd ever see. After I sewed up some side curtains it cracked within a month. I ripped it all out and sought out a much higher quality product from another vendor. The mistake I made was assuming they would have sent me decent stuff in the first place like they did years ago
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
holdover

interesting, did you notice the value they placed on the item...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
J Franklin

Your parts are headed to Australia.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Licensed to kill

Perhaps they were bought out by Air Canada and shipping is handled by the baggage department.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
ford-m

My Visa was charged over $19.00 US
ford-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford-m View Post
My Visa was charged over $19.00 US
That would be correct because shipping and handling charges are not included on a custom's invoice. Wayne
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Why not let LB correct the mistake without you going public with it. Everybody makes mistakes and in all fairness you treated them unfairly. Wayne
Old 12-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Perhaps they were bought out by Air Canada and shipping is handled by the baggage department.
I used to fly Air Canada twice a week or more and never had my luggage misdirected. On the same issue, as a frequent flier on several airlines, I have never had a bag go astray.

My only issue in over thirty years of business travel was when a US customs official in Toronto decided to get snotty and assert his authourity to send my bag on a separate flight to Chicago.

His colleagues in Chicago were even more uncomplimentary when describing his parentage than I.

Most airline baggage problems are caused by poor labelling of the luggage by the travellers. YES - I am blaming the victim!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
Chuck Sea/Tac

Google it, there is.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 AM   #12
updraught

"Most airline baggage problems are caused by poor labelling of the luggage by the travellers"

When I was a lad, everyone knew how to draw barcodes
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Just saying that Mac's is a parts manufacturer, as well as a vendor.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #14
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I was unaware that US Customs was in Toronto or had any jurisdiction there!
U.S. Customs now has clearance locations in several Canadian airports including Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, and Winnipeg, as well as several in other countries (Ireland, Aruba, Freeport and Nassau in The Bahamas, Bermuda, Abu Dhabi and United Arab Emirates) to inspect travelers prior to boarding U.S.-bound flights. Through "preclearance", Customs officers conduct the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air travelers typically performed upon arrival in the United States before departure from foreign airports.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
It is called PreClearance Flight Inspection and they have been in Pearson International in Toronto since 1976. They also have a Nexus facility. U.S. Officers are traditionally assigned foreign service postings for a period of 2-3 years. They love it and so do their families who get to work and or attend school. I was part of the original setup team. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-12-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #16
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Haven't had a dealing with LeBaron Bonney since the 1970s when old friend Lee Atherton was still running the outfit hands on. Things must be totally different now. Is the company still owned by the same family? Lee was owner and founder having set up a furniture upholstery shop there at the old Biddle & Smart Carriage works in Amesbury, Massachusetts back in the 1940s. To recollection as told, Lee took his first and then mother's maiden name of "Baron" along with wife name of "Bonney" and the business moniker "LeBaron Bonney" was created. Used to go right up to the factory store in Amesbury and buy your car interior kit stuff there. Lee himself would come out of his small office and help the customers. He owned some old Fords and was in a couple of our local clubs. The shop was always filled with cars having upholstery and tops being professionally installed. Things seemed so much easier in those days.

Today, by routine, much of what I purchase is done via handheld tablet device. Just purchased for our Fort Lee, New Jersey place, a flat screen Samsung 4K TV from a local store's WEB site.

Thing is, at this point in life, I can not be bothered driving down to the shopping center, loading the carton into a cart, waiting in line at the check-out, maneuvering the windy parking lot, manhandling the carton into the vehicle, driving through traffic back home and then lugging the box out of car to the house . . . Instead, the store offers FREE shipping and delivery to the front door. There is also a discount for buying the TV online which covers the amount for sales tax. So it's also cheaper to buy local and online!

It is no doubt a brave new cyber retail world!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 12-12-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

A follow-up to the previous post above.

Went on to the LeBaron Bonney WEB site. Haven't referenced anything about that company in decades. By casual observation, the slick aspect of info presentation just looks detached from the personal direct style LeBaron Bonney company that we knew long ago.

Also, find the background information as presented on the WEB site to be not only incorrect but looks to be cooked up nonsense. This might indicate that the company is no longer owned and operated by the original family. Lee Atherton, owner and founder of LeBaron Bonney Company was a member of the North Shore Old Car Club of which I was also an active member from the later 1960s. In those days, we had personalized tours of the LeBaron Bonney company shops with Lee Atherton as guide. Lee was a friendly and very personable man. He was a furniture upholstery by trade and had expertly translated those skills into vintage automotive interiors and top coverings.

As recalled, Lee explained to us that by the mid-1950s, the Atherton brothers furniture upholstery business had been mostly changed over to doing custom and vintage automobile interiors. By that period, the relatively small ancient carriage factory complex was booked with upholstery work months in advance. Sometime during the 1950s, due to volumes of requests, the mail order side of the business ramped-up to become the main aspect. LeBaron Bonney worked out the fabrication of interior kits for Model A and then V8 Ford cars. During that period, domestic U.S. sources for fabric materials such as proper mohair had dried up. Lee Atherton then traveled to England to source out reliable suppliers for the purchase of correct color and style matched natural fabric materials. With the United Kingdom like other industrial nations, the traditional mill factories were by the 1960s rapidly disappearing. By the 1970s, keeping a steady supply for mohair material became a continuous problem. LeBaron Bonney products were always high quality and the standard by which all others were measured.

A casual look at their current WEB site might make a person figure that this outfit is probably now not Lee Atherton's once beloved LeBaron Bonney.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #18
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"Is the company still owned by the same family?"

no

it was sold a few yrs ago
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #19
eagle

Everyone makes mistakes, it's not fun when I do it. The true test of character is how they rectify it. You should talk to them about it, not us.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kelly View Post
Michael:

I may be alone in my thinking, but I can't help wondering why you felt the need to broadcast to the world that LeBaron Bonney misapplied a shipping label. And in the process of doing so you also broadcast to the world your name, your address and your phone number. Thieves are often willing to pay for such information to use in their quest to steal your identity. I suspect that they appreciate your willingness to provide it so generously to so many of them.

You also broadcast to the world the innocent intended recipient's name, address, email address and phone number.

Since you promptly asked for a refund of the erroneous charge, I trust you have been equally quick in returning to LeBaron Bonney the door handle that you did not order and have no apparent intention of purchasing.

What were you thinking when you created the post?

What did you hope to accomplish?

And to be clear, I have no affiliation whatsoever with LeBaron Bonney. But it does pain me to see a company that is working hard to support our hobby be pilloried for misapplying an address label.

I don't know about you, but despite my efforts I still make mistakes.

Timothy
I "thought" I made a mistake, once--I "think" I wuz WRONG
Bill Imperfect
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #21
midgetracer

I have bought three interior kits and three convertible tops from LeBaron Bonney and some misc parts. Cam in sales is the best. I have also had interactions with their QA department with very good results. I have not personally purchased one of the "lower priced" kits from the other national company, but have seen their quality in cars I have worked on. LeBarron Bonney is and will be my first choice in upholstery kits. It does pain me to see their good name blasted on a site that caters to Model A restorers
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I have bought three interior kits and three convertible tops from LeBaron Bonney and some misc parts. Cam in sales is the best. I have also had interactions with their QA department with very good results. I have not personally purchased one of the "lower priced" kits from the other national company, but have seen their quality in cars I have worked on. LeBarron Bonney is and will be my first choice in upholstery kits. It does pain me to see their good name blasted on a site that caters to Model A restorers
There was no need for the blasting. The matter was grandstanded for no logical purpose other than to showcase and embarrass a vendor that has been very good to our hobby. It could have been settled between the parties concerned and not brought to this forum. If I were LB I would refuse to sell to this Customer in the future. I would blacklist him. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-12-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #23
GPierce

Quote:
You clear US customs in Toronto when flying into the US. That allows the airline to fly directly to many airports without customs. Makes good sense when you think about.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
You clear US customs in Toronto when flying into the US. That allows the airline to fly directly to many airports without customs. Makes good sense when you think about.

Yes and you leave your contraband and illegal immigrants in anothe country. Wayne
Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #25
32 chevy vett

The club took a tour to LaBaron Bonney back in the 80's and they could not have been better. My wife and I went to order a kit for the A. We worked with Carla
she showed us what upholstery went with the color paint we picked. She told me I would get a E-mail in four weeks. And they would send it or I could pick it up.
I talked with others in the office all were very nice same as in the 80's when we took the tour.
32 chevy vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #26
tbirdtbird
BANNED

the 80s were along time ago
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Obviously the poster realized he had no support and his criticism was in very poor taste. He removed his initial post after subjecting LB to unwarranted criticism. I do indeed hope they refuse to sell to him in the future. LB has been a fine friend to our hobby for many years. Wayne.

In my opinion, a written apology and person to person apology is in order. Will it happen? not likely!

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-14-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Kelly View Post
Michael:

I may be alone in my thinking, but I can't help wondering why you felt the need to broadcast to the world that LeBaron Bonney misapplied a shipping label. And in the process of doing so you also broadcast to the world your name, your address and your phone number. Thieves are often willing to pay for such information to use in their quest to steal your identity. I suspect that they appreciate your willingness to provide it so generously to so many of them.

You also broadcast to the world the innocent intended recipient's name, address, email address and phone number.

Since you promptly asked for a refund of the erroneous charge, I trust you have been equally quick in returning to LeBaron Bonney the door handle that you did not order and have no apparent intention of purchasing.

What were you thinking when you created the post?

What did you hope to accomplish?

And to be clear, I have no affiliation whatsoever with LeBaron Bonney. But it does pain me to see a company that is working hard to support our hobby be pilloried for misapplying an address label.

I don't know about you, but despite my efforts I still make mistakes.

Timothy
We share the exact sentiments. The post did more harm than good and was self serving. Wayne
Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #29
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
A follow-up to the previous post above.

Went on to the LeBaron Bonney WEB site. Haven't referenced anything about that company in decades. By casual observation, the slick aspect of info presentation just looks detached from the personal direct style LeBaron Bonney company that we knew long ago.

Also, find the background information as presented on the WEB site to be not only incorrect but looks to be cooked up nonsense. This might indicate that the company is no longer owned and operated by the original family. Lee Atherton, owner and founder of LeBaron Bonney Company was a member of the North Shore Old Car Club of which I was also an active member from the later 1960s. In those days, we had personalized tours of the LeBaron Bonney company shops with Lee Atherton as guide. Lee was a friendly and very personable man. He was a furniture upholstery by trade and had expertly translated those skills into vintage automotive interiors and top coverings.

As recalled, Lee explained to us that by the mid-1950s, the Atherton brothers furniture upholstery business had been mostly changed over to doing custom and vintage automobile interiors. By that period, the relatively small ancient carriage factory complex was booked with upholstery work months in advance. Sometime during the 1950s, due to volumes of requests, the mail order side of the business ramped-up to become the main aspect. LeBaron Bonney worked out the fabrication of interior kits for Model A and then V8 Ford cars. During that period, domestic U.S. sources for fabric materials such as proper mohair had dried up. Lee Atherton then traveled to England to source out reliable suppliers for the purchase of correct color and style matched natural fabric materials. With the United Kingdom like other industrial nations, the traditional mill factories were by the 1960s rapidly disappearing. By the 1970s, keeping a steady supply for mohair material became a continuous problem. LeBaron Bonney products were always high quality and the standard by which all others were measured.

A casual look at their current WEB site might make a person figure that this outfit is probably now not Lee Atherton's once beloved LeBaron Bonney.

And the obvious question.....what does if matter who owns it ( Henry no longer owns Ford ) ? Wayne