Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Colorado title-usual issues

Just remember, the burden of proof is on the state to prove a vehicle is stolen which is NO consolation. If Colorado DOT decides not to honor a title from another of these United States then you need a court order from a judge in the state of Colorado determining it is in fact your real property.

I've had this stuff happen several times with Federal registrations of aircraft that have been traded around without getting them fully registered by each owner. The Feds will make it hard for you because they want a chain of ownership all the way back to the previous registered owner but in the end they can't go against a state judges determination.

Many of these old cars have been floating around for years with the last registered owner in the ground where there is no signatory recourse.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #22
malpais

Thanks, Lots of info from all you. I'm gonna call the folks listed in post #12 and see how legitimate the website is. Haven't got feedback on that it says "not stolen" - guess no one has used it.

If I'm sure it isn't stolen, I may finish it and go thru the Co. Process. (I can when roadworthy).

Thanks for advice, cautions and ideas. Sure would hate to lose this thing when done and inspected.

I will see if I can find states who will work with BOS, just as plan B.

Gordon
Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #23
911 STEVE

stay away from Georgia. I found the perfect 40 Ford sedan there but it had no vin anywhere except on a firewall tag made by an engraver. they don't use titles, just registrations. my state, Nebraska said NO,NO CANT BRING IT IN. so I passed on it.
911 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #24
ems customer service

also got to your elected representitve in the colorado house, and ask for a introduction to the correct person at dmv you might a upper level person who really knows the rules
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #25
ems customer service

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...les/DR2187.pdf

this pdf explains exactly what you need to do for a non running colorado car
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
Charlie Stephens

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 STEVE View Post
stay away from Georgia. I found the perfect 40 Ford sedan there but it had no vin anywhere except on a firewall tag made by an engraver. they don't use titles, just registrations. my state, Nebraska said NO,NO CANT BRING IT IN. so I passed on it.
The '40 Ford should not have a VIN tag. They were registered by the serial number stamped into the top of the left frame rail near the steering box (sometimes very faint). The same number appeared under the body on the left frame rail in two more places. If this number was missing I would stay away from the vehicle.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote